Wallenstein Thumb Review on BX

/ Wallenstein Thumb Review on BX #1  

montelatici

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2601 and L3560 HSTC LE
Ok, as promised.

The thumb arrived in box full of shredded paper see pix.

I saw that a nut was missing on one of the bolts (the unit comes assembled with the bolts and nuts loosely screwed together) and thought "oh no". Threw the box away in the trash and was going to the hardware store to get a nut. Then I thought to look in the box and sure enough it had fallen off the bolt.

No instructions and I thought, oh ****! After looking at the thing a bit it was quite easy to figure it out and the width of the boom and the pivot on the boom (see pic) makes it easy to fit the thumb at the right height on the boom. It is quite heavy this thumb, and it is a little difficult to hold it up and insert a bolt but after a few tries holding it up with my thigh as I inserted one bolt to hold the thing in place. I then inserted the top plate (nice touch as it protects the boom from the bolts) and inserted the other bolt through with the top plate, removed the first bolt that I used to hold the thumb on and I then lowered the other end of the top plate to insert the second top bolt. There is a bottom bolt that is already on the thumb on the bottom.

I centered the thumb using the round pivot cutaway on the the thumb as a guide but you only have an inch or so of play, so it probably doesn't matter, it just looks better. I had it on in about 15-20 minutes.

To work:

Went to pick up a tree I have wanted to move over a fence into a wooded area. Drove up to the tree (with branches) about 8 inches in diameter and picked it up with outriggers. It is a little hairy to use the BH without the outriggers but, it worked. I easily picked up the tree and lifted it over the fence and dropped it.

I then decided to clear some brush with the thumb. Does a good job, but slow. I think a grapple on the loader is better for this.

Went to an area where I am removing 20 year old wild rose and other deep root bushes along a fence line. Using the outriggers I used the thumb to pick up brush (roots and all) I had removed and other wood, branches, trunks etc. I was also able to pull out smaller llive brush roots and all with the thumb. I crushed the bucket pretty hard against the thumb and the thumb suffered no consequences.

I retracted the thumb to remove a large ornery root with the BH. The retracted thumb proved useful as it provides a serrated edge on the boom which will hold and allows you to pull things when you close the bucket around them . As someone else said, it also protects the boom.

I recommend it as a very inexpensive enhancement to the BH.

Attachments

• wall1small.jpg
    wall1small.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 2,278
  • wall2small.jpg
    wall2small.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,921
  • wall3small.jpg
    wall3small.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,894
  • wall4small.jpg
    wall4small.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 2,082
   / Wallenstein Thumb Review on BX
Oh, without instructions I had no idea what torque to use in tightening the bolts. I just tightened them as tight as I could with an 8 inch closed end wrench on one side and a 1/4 inch socket (about 6 inches long) on the other. I have been known to strip pretty large nuts/bolts so I tightened the nuts quite a lot.

/ Wallenstein Thumb Review on BX #3  
That thumb looks good & strong. Good writeup & pics.
It is a little hairy to use the BH without the outriggers but, it worked.
I rarely if ever drop the outriggers when I'm picking up wood to cut or something heavy to transport. Perhaps it's experience or perhaps it's foolishness or a little of both but I haven't encounted a load yet that gave me cause to drop them. Course if I do encounter a large weight that gives me concern and I'm not going to transport it then down they'll go.
Now digging is another story altogether :D

Agree with you on how a grapple is a better implement in some cases. ATI, ATI Corporation - Grapple Kit Images who's an implement seller here, sells a grapple kit that'll fit a BX and theres been a poster or two with BX grapples that do a great job. I don't necessarily like all the hydraulic plumbing thats involved and have been cypher'n on how an electric actuator would work in the hydro system's place. My cipher'n is leaning to buying the kit sans the hydro parts and come up with a actuator. I had a need for a grapple last fall and early spring but don't at this particular moment so it's on the back burner. Oh well :D

Anyways, don't mean to go off on a tangent. That thumb is a handy add-on to the BH and is also a back saver, congrats & enjoy. :D

FYI

I pre-ordered an ATI grapple yesterday.

/ Wallenstein Thumb Review on BX #5  
Just a note of caution....I contacted ATI about the pin type attachment and the grapple they sell. I was advised by their tech support that they no longer make the pin attatch for the BX and that they do NOT recommend using their grapple on the BX. Their reply said that the center cylinder hits the grapple cylinder that is also set up in the center.

Well, that is interesting. The email I sent to them authorizing the downpayment bounced back undelivered. Looking at another grapple by Dehr? Welding in Texas. It is only a two prong one but that is all I reaal need.

/ Wallenstein Thumb Review on BX #7  
The reply I got from ATI was just a few days ago. I had sent them an inquiry as to whether they sold a complete grapple kit for the bx. So it seems that their statement that they do not reccomend it for the BX is pretty current.
Not to hijack the thread, but I had looked into American Solutions grapple but they do not respond to calls or email. I am looking for a bolt on all inclusive grapple kit for my BX too should anyone know of one.

Larry

/ Wallenstein Thumb Review on BX #8  
montelatici,

I mounted mine today as well...works good. No instructions in my shipment as well!

Did you notice that the thumb we were sent does not match the one pictured in the ebay auction? I am alittle upset about this and have sent an email requesting as to why we recieved a different thumb than the one pictured in the auction??? The one in the auction has more adjustments...it is mounted on a BX24 as seen in the picture with the curved BH.

/ Wallenstein Thumb Review on BX #9  
I'm beginning to think they sent me some kind of prototype? The support arm does look like the one in the ebay auction and doesn't fit like the one on montelatici's thumb? Now I'm more PO'd...here is where the customer support part kicks in and to see if they stand behind their products and make things right...we will see...and I will report the outcome. I'm also thinking they had a demand of orders due to this post and sent out what ever they had available...even if it was a previous design or prototype? Not right...

You should complain if your thumb is different from mine. As I emailed you, mine has three adjustments like the Ebay one but a little different as it is on a different axis, doubles as the retracted setting holder and is a really small aperature . One setting is as large as I would want iin terms of aperature and the middle one already clamps to the bucket, so the third really small adjustment which is also used as the holder for when the thumb is folded, is really superfluous. My only complaint is that the large pin that adjusts the aperature and holds the thumb in the retracted position loses its holding clip in brush. I lost the one they sent in about ten minutes. I thought that a small clevis clip might stay on better, but I lost that too. I now use a nail that I can bend with my hands. It works the best. It doesn't have to be very strong because it just keeps the large pin from sliding out.