BX24 - Lifting BH with FEL?

/ BX24 - Lifting BH with FEL? #1  

Lasher

I am new to the forums, and have been reading for a couple days straight on tractors for which one I might fit my needs. As of right now I am leaning towards the BX24, still researching, but have a question.

I currently have a Big Tex trailer. It is 5x14 and can handle 3000# and if I use this trailer I will install trailer brakes. But it seems that I will not be able to use this trailer for the BX24 with the FEL and BH attached due to weight. So I started thinking...could I put the BH in the bed of the truck and just trailer the BX24 with the FEL attached. That should put be in the safe zone for the trailer.

But can the BX24 lift the BH into the bed of the truck and out?

My truck is a 2500HD, so I am all set there. And this would not be a common trailer usage. Just to go to the in-laws or friends place to do some work. About 25 miles.

/ BX24 - Lifting BH with FEL? #2  
Lasher said:
But can the BX24 lift the BH into the bed of the truck and out?
No way!... IMHO, it's impossible. You won't have enough loader power to raise a backhoe that high. I'm pretty sure you couldn't lift it from the ground. Sorry.

/ BX24 - Lifting BH with FEL? #3  
Is it a single- or double-axle trailer? That makes a big difference in the "feel" of the trailer when loaded, but for 25 miles, you should be OK for the tractor without the BH.

My concern would be lifting the 800# BH into the bed of your truck. Unless you have a cherry picker that you plan on carring with you (talk about a PITA), I'd be hard-pressed to put the sucker in there. If not the weight, the height will kill you. Really, you'd need a forklift.

Doesn't sound like the route I would go. I'm planning on purchasing a 6' x 14' 7,000# dual-axle trailer with electric brakes for about $1,600. I currently have a 5' x 10' 3,500# single axle that is woefully inadequate for my tractor WITHOUT the backhoe.

Mr. Stef beat me to it, but it is the whole "picking the BH up and putting it on the bed of my truck" thing that gives me the most trouble. You can tinker with it, but you will soon wrap your brain around just how heavy and unweildy that thing is when it is off the tractor.

I'd get a new trailer. I don't think what you are proposing is going to happen.

/ BX24 - Lifting BH with FEL?
Thanks for the info. I figured that it could not happen, but wanted to be sure.

From searching the posts on here, it seems that the BX24 with FEL and BH would be pushing 3000 lbs, which would be over my trailer limit. I guess I would have to rent a trailer if it was to happen. I am working hard on the wife to agree to the tractor purchase right now, and throwing in a replacement trailer would probably not help.

How much does the FEL and BH actually weigh? I have read that the FEL is about 700 lbs and the BH is about 1000 lbs.

FYI...My trailer is a single axle and axle rated at 3500 lbs. I recently hauled roughly 2 yards of top soil in the trailer (with wood sides) which seemed to max out the tires (C rated) and the leafs.

/ BX24 - Lifting BH with FEL? #5  
My trailer has the same axle and tire rating as well as the same load rating on the tires. I'm here to say, even with the ~2,200# rig I was towing (tractor, FEL, BoxBlade, couple of shovels, etc.) on my 3,500# rated trailer, the relatively high COG (versus a load of dirt) made the trailer quite uncomfortable even without the backhoe. And I consider myself a fairly seasoned operator.

I'm guessing the COG issue is why you were able to overload the trailer with dirt. But perhaps you could live with some "defficiencies" since your dirt didn't cost you $17,000 and change. You reconsider your comfort level depending on what you are towing...at least I do.

The FEL is about 400# and the BH is about 850#. BoxBlade is 300# to 500# depending on quality.

Don't worry about the trailer. Get the tractor then hit the wife with the trailer next year.

/ BX24 - Lifting BH with FEL? #6  
Just a hair-brained thought, of which I have many: I wonder if you could detatch the loader w/ it laying partially in the bed of your truck, chain it off to ties at the front of the bed, then shove it in the rest of the way in w/ the BH. (No, I've never even had my loader off and I'm no wheres near my tractor to see if it even looks possible in real life :eek:

Thanks again for the ideas. As with you guys, I have thoughts in my head as well.

Such as...
Could I load the tractor and BH onto the trailer, travel to in-laws. Unload the BH, return to my place with just the tractor, attach the FEL and then head back to in-laws.
Or put the BH and FEL on the trailer (on dollies), drop them off at the in-laws, then return for the tractor?
Or if this ever happens, just rent a trailer.

In any event, my main focus is to get a tractor for my yard. I am still researching if a BX24 would suit my needs. A ex-operator friend tells me I am wasting my money for what I need, and I should just rent. Of course I hear people on here doing things with the BX24 that I would like. But I need to read more and go visit the dealer to check them out.

(in case your curious...3 acres, mostly woods with some wetlands. Pull stumps, move/dig up rocks, landscaping, atv track building, and possibly mowing)

Sorry one more question....

Can the BH lift the FEL? Curious, but it still would not solve the weight problem.

/ BX24 - Lifting BH with FEL? #9  
How far do you plan on towing it and how often? For a short trip once a month, I would overload the trailer you have.

If you are going to be hiking it quite a ways pretty frequently, buy a tandem trailer used on eBay for $600-$700 bucks.

I am in the same situation and until I got a tandem axle trailer w/brakes for $700, I overloaded my single axle trailer. You can cheat some by putting the machine as far forward on the trailer (backwards) and this should transfer a bunch of weight to the vehicle. None of these are perfect or even the best ideas, but whether you are hauling 5 miles or 500 miles makes a big difference in my mind.

/ BX24 - Lifting BH with FEL? #10  
Lasher said:
Could I load the tractor and BH onto the trailer, travel to in-laws. Unload the BH, return to my place with just the tractor, attach the FEL and then head back to in-laws.

That is doable if it puts you inside the weight restrictions. Tripple the driving and time attaching/detaching in exchange for not buying a new trailer. Will you need BH AND FEL everytime you go over there, or will there be times you only need FEL? If so, one trip will do it. Will you ever need to take other implements: MMM, brush hog, etc.?

Lasher said:
Or put the BH and FEL on the trailer (on dollies), drop them off at the in-laws, then return for the tractor?

Hmmm, You'd need a boat winch and lots of good tiedown straps and chains. Might work, just having wheels on the bottom of those things makes me nervous though.

Lasher said:
Can the BH lift the FEL?

I think so, but not vice versa. Still you could extend too far or pivot too far and place your CG (center of gravity) beyond the support of your wheels. A crane operator might have the skills to pull this off, but I wouldn't put this sized investment on the line with my own skill level being what it is.

I have a little Snow Bear trailer from Home Depot, weighs 500# and rated gross 2500#, single axle, no brakes. I have taken the BX2200 w/ FEL to the dealer for servicing on it. It's all quiet rural roads, no curves, no hills, 20 mi. flat/straight and I don't exceed 35 mph. Under those conditions, and with great vigilance, I feel O.K., but I would never exceed any of those parameters.