Mowing Mid mount mower question

/ Mid mount mower question #1  

kcook

Platinum Member
Tractor
Cub Lawn Tractor
What is the difference in the different mid mount mowers for the B series.

Suspended and Parallel" Which is better for mowing large area 3 ackers or so. Does the lay of the land make a difference, will it scalp?

KC

/ Mid mount mower question #2  
I don't own a B series tractor but I stayed in a Holiday Inn a couple weeks ago :D
ahem,
A suspended mower is just that, it's suspended from the tractor via linkages that keeps it from contacting the ground in normal operation. The depth of the cut is adjusted via a knob and/or set bolt. Due to hills & swells the likely hood is great that they will contact the ground and hense they may scalp the lawn. To keep from doing this they are equipped with anti-scalp wheels on the corners and at the middle front. These wheels are adjusted to ride above the ground and only contact the ground to lift the mower momentarily when it encounters an uneven situation. Some will argue that due to it's ability to "float" over uneven terrain that a suspended mower will give a better cut than a ground contact or parallel mower as it will tend to give a more even appearance. If the terrain you're going to finish mow is very rough then a suspended mower may be better suited for you.

A parallel or ground contact mower actaully rides on the ground and the tractors linkages are for lifting & dropping of the mower. Depth is set by adjusting the ground contact wheels. These types of mowers follow the contour of the terrain and can give a great cut on level/even terrain. Depending upon the size of the mower, some folks have complained of the depth wheels leaving marks on a finished lawn but not all. Some have also complained of the depth wheels gouging the lawn when doing tight turns at speed. On rough uneven terrain the ground contact wheels can take a beating, especially at high speed, so care must be used when mowing in this type of situation.
It can be argued that by following the terrain a ground contact mower gives a better cut on level terrain.

It should be noted that most all commercial mowers use a suspended mower but that may be due to the amount of usage they have on a daily basis.

Kubota's mowers are well built, whether they be suspended and/or ground contact so either are very good quality finish mower. If the property is very rough then I'd recommend going with a suspended mower with the exception of the 72" MMM. It is too heavy to be suspended.

Good luck

/ Mid mount mower question #3  
There has been plenty of debate here about the merits and drawbacks of various mower deck designs (mid-mount vs. rear mount, suspended vs. ground running, narrower vs. wider, etc.) There are lots of variables involved and there is no simple answer. Do a search and you will learn a lot, but grab a cup of coffee first. You'll be reading for a while!

Getting back to your original question, a suspended deck hangs underneath the tractor and without touching the ground. It "hovers" above the grass. Anti-scalp rollers suposedly keep the mower blades from coming in direct contact with the ground although I can attest that no matter how you have them set up you can still scalp.

Other decks sit on caster wheels. Caster wheels are different than anti-scalp rollers. They are larger, much heavier-duty and can pivot. The tractor simply pulls the mower deck along while the casters follow the natural contour of the ground.

I don't think either one of them is necessarily better suited for mowing 3 acres. Both will do the job. The choice really depends on a host of other factors. Is the area mostly open or are there a lot of obstacles to mow around? Will it require tight, precision manuvering or is there plenty of room to turn around? Is it a "lawn" or just field grass? Is it hilly or flat? Is the ground smooth or full of bumps and ruts? Will you be using your tractor for lots of other types or work or mostly just mowing?

I'll bet you didn't think it would be this involved!

/ Mid mount mower question
AceDeuce said:
There has been plenty of debate here about the merits and drawbacks of various mower deck designs (mid-mount vs. rear mount, suspended vs. ground running, narrower vs. wider, etc.) There are lots of variables involved and there is no simple answer. Do a search and you will learn a lot, but grab a cup of coffee first. You'll be reading for a while!

Getting back to your original question, a suspended deck hangs underneath the tractor and without touching the ground. It "hovers" above the grass. Anti-scalp rollers suposedly keep the mower blades from coming in direct contact with the ground although I can attest that no matter how you have them set up you can still scalp.

Other decks sit on caster wheels. Caster wheels are different than anti-scalp rollers. They are larger, much heavier-duty and can pivot. The tractor simply pulls the mower deck along while the casters follow the natural contour of the ground.

I don't think either one of them is necessarily better suited for mowing 3 acres. Both will do the job. The choice really depends on a host of other factors. Is the area mostly open or are there a lot of obstacles to mow around? Will it require tight, precision manuvering or is there plenty of room to turn around? Is it a "lawn" or just field grass? Is it hilly or flat? Is the ground smooth or full of bumps and ruts? Will you be using your tractor for lots of other types or work or mostly just mowing?

I'll bet you didn't think it would be this involved!

I can set the yard up any way I want, I just was looking for some advice on the difference on these mowers. I was looking at a 60".

KC

/ Mid mount mower question #5  
Here's how I would look at it then. Altough I'm sure there are other opinions.

If the area is relatively open and free of obstacles I'd go with as wide of a unit as possible. No preference on rear-mount vs. mid mount, suspended or non. Although, if you want to mow at a "fast" travel speed, you'll probably be happier with a suspended deck.

If there area is irregularly shaped or has a lot of obstacles to mow around, I'd go with a wide mid-mount (a wider deck "reaches" further inward when mowing in a tight radius). Rear-mounted units have tail-swing issues that limit manuverability. No preference on suspended or non.

If the area is hilly I'd go with a mid-mount instead of a rear mount for better balance.

If the area is lawn quality I'd go with a suspended deck for a better finish.

If the ground is smooth and not full of ruts and bumps, a non-suspended deck will work just as well as a suspended one.

If you are mowing field-grass, a non-suspended mower will work fine.

If you intend to use other implements with your machine you must consider access to the 3PH. A rear-mount deck must be removed if you want to use another implement or tow a trailer. However, a rear-mount deck is arguably easier to take on and off than a mid-mount (suspended or non). Mid-mount decks greatly limit ground clearance and should be removed if you will be working in an area that requires more than a few inches of clearance.

Clear as Mississippi mud? :)

/ Mid mount mower question
AceDeuce said:
Here's how I would look at it then. Altough I'm sure there are other opinions.

If the area is relatively open and free of obstacles I'd go with as wide of a unit as possible. No preference on rear-mount vs. mid mount, suspended or non. Although, if you want to mow at a "fast" travel speed, you'll probably be happier with a suspended deck.

If there area is irregularly shaped or has a lot of obstacles to mow around, I'd go with a wide mid-mount (a wider deck "reaches" further inward when mowing in a tight radius). Rear-mounted units have tail-swing issues that limit manuverability. No preference on suspended or non.

If the area is hilly I'd go with a mid-mount instead of a rear mount for better balance.

If the area is lawn quality I'd go with a suspended deck for a better finish.

If the ground is smooth and not full of ruts and bumps, a non-suspended deck will work just as well as a suspended one.

If you are mowing field-grass, a non-suspended mower will work fine.

If you intend to use other implements with your machine you must consider access to the 3PH. A rear-mount deck must be removed if you want to use another implement or tow a trailer. However, a rear-mount deck is arguably easier to take on and off than a mid-mount (suspended or non). Mid-mount decks greatly limit ground clearance and should be removed if you will be working in an area that requires more than a few inches of clearance.

Clear as Mississippi mud? :)

Great points, thanks!

KC