L48 Swing Lever and Directional Valve Lever...what do they do?

/ L48 Swing Lever and Directional Valve Lever...what do they do? #1  

mr_magoo

I have recently purchased a Kubota L48. I have not removed the backhoe yet. I plan on installing a hydraulic boxblade with top and tilt cylinders. I am trying to figure out what the Swing Lever and Directional Valves specifically do. I assume Directional Valve bypasses sending fluid to the quick disconnects. Is this correct? What does the swing lever do?

If I power my boxblade cylinders off of the quick disconnects, do I leave both the Swing Lever and Directional Valves in the "backhoe" position. Also, will my 3-point arms still raise and lower with these levers in the "backhoe" position.

Also, it would be very helpful if someone would tell me what type (spec) of hydraulic couplers the L48 uses. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

/ L48 Swing Lever and Directional Valve Lever...what do they do? #2  
The L 48
has it's own pump for the swing circuit,the swing lever , shuts down the oil from the swing pump which is up front near your radiator.

/ L48 Swing Lever and Directional Valve Lever...what do they do?
I think I might understand. There are two pumps that supply oil to rear. When one directional valve is reversed, the 3-point lift arms get power. The second directional valve controls auxilery circuit. I need to tap this circuit for my T&T. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks,
Mike

/ L48 Swing Lever and Directional Valve Lever...what do they do? #4  
this question I can't answer,, Best ask a dealer, there are several on here and perhaps one of them can help you with top and tilt circuits,,

/ L48 Swing Lever and Directional Valve Lever...what do they do? #5  
mr_magoo said:
I think I might understand. There are two pumps that supply oil to rear. When one directional valve is reversed, the 3-point lift arms get power. The second directional valve controls auxilery circuit. I need to tap this circuit for my T&T. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks,
Mike

I had TnT on my L48. I installed it my self even though it was the Kubota factory unit. I'm trying hard to remember where I got the hydraulic power, I think it was off the rear remotes that fed the hoe. I know the relief dumped back into a special cap they give you to replace your stock hydraulic oil filler cap. The swing lever valve is the one on the left side of the tractor as I recall. If you have it set for the rear hydraulics ( hoe swing) with nothing attached to the remotes, it will let you know by the extra loading going on. I remember the swing hydraulics also operated the 3 pt hitch arms, (I think). Sorry for the fuzzy brain, it seems like eons ago since I had my L48

/ L48 Swing Lever and Directional Valve Lever...what do they do? #6  
I think Skypup has T&T on his L39 which is a similar dual pump system to the L48. He may chime in and tell us how it hooks up. As Rat said you do need to run a different return for the hydraulic fluid from your remote’s valve body. The questions would be, which pump diverts to the 3pt system, is the remaining enough for rear remotes, or do you have to tap the hydraulics some place else.

I’d never thought about it so I hope someone who has had it done will know.

MarkV

/ L48 Swing Lever and Directional Valve Lever...what do they do? #7  
MarkV said:
I think Skypup has T&T on his L39 which is a similar dual pump system to the L48. He may chime in and tell us how it hooks up. As Rat said you do need to run a different return for the hydraulic fluid from your remote’s valve body. The questions would be, which pump diverts to the 3pt system, is the remaining enough for rear remotes, or do you have to tap the hydraulics some place else.

I’d never thought about it so I hope someone who has had it done will know.

MarkV

I'm pretty sure it is the pump that attaches off the front of the tractor via a small drive line which is the swing pump.