Need advice....

/ Need advice.... #1  

geoffburnham

I have a Kubota B1750 (20 HP) that came equipped with a bucket loader but no back hoe... In researching purchasing a backhoe for this unit I have been told that I may be better off trading the one I have versus buying a new one for the tractor I have now. One person wanted to sell me a Woods 6000 3 pt but when I spoke to Woods directly, I was told initially, that the only one recommended for that tractor is the BH70-x and that they don't make an undercarriage for the 6000. When I mentioned this to the person who wanted to sell me the 6000 he said he had sold about 50 of these to people in the same circumstances as I was and they had no problem. He confirmed they don't make an undercarriage for the 6000 but said it wasn't needed. I called Woods again and this time spoke to a tech person, not a sales person who said the 6000 would work as long as i wasn't running it everyday. Others have told me that the 6000 doesn't really have enough power to do any real digging ie stumps etc... I do have an opportunity to buy a Kubota 2550 with both a backhoe and front loader but its about 12k .. any suggestions from anyone will be appreciated ... trade in or buy a new backhoe.. and if you recommend buying the backhoe would you buy the 6000 or the BH70-x ( the cost difference is about $1600).. Thanks

/ Need advice.... #3  
It is true what you have been told about the none frame backhoes but there also have been some tractors that didn't have such good luck!

/ Need advice.... #4  
A very important factor when considering a backhoe is tractor
weight. That small B-series will be dragged around easily.
The 30hp L2550DT you are considering is in a whole different
category, weighing 1000 lb more. I have owned the latter with and
without backhoes. I first tried the hoe with the 3PH and now ONLY
use subframes.

/ Need advice.... #5  
I disagree about the weight (heck I drive a BX), but totally agree about the subframe. There are many threads on this board where housings break (usually at the upper link) using a 3ph backhoe.

Unfortunately, the search function is a little kludgy and the threads I could find no longer have photos. But man, they were UGLY breaks. :eek:

Ask the salesman to guarantee it won't break. After he refuses, get a subframe mount BH.

RDnT

/ Need advice.... #6  
rdsaustintx said:
I disagree about the weight (heck I drive a BX)

RDnT

So you think tractor weight is NOT a very important factor when
considering a backhoe attachment? Why don't you try to justify
such a bizarre position?

The simple fact it that a 1200# hoe with subframe is going to
easily drag a 2500# tractor/FEL around, as well as seriously
affect its drivability. This is further exacerbated with a mounting
that hangs the hoe farther out back. The same hoe on a 3500#
tractor/FEL will be considerably more effective.

/ Need advice.... #7  
With regard to weight, the original post had to do with a Woods BH6000 on a B series tractor. Obviously, that isn't a problem. Nor is it a problem on a BX (although I do concede that my front end is considerably lighter with the BH mounted). At the same time, a B70X is totally inappropriate on a BX and would weight down a 20 HP B1750 with a pretty hefty load. I think Mr. RDnT's comments were with regard to the machines listed on the thread, not about weight in general.

I can say that the BH6000 is great, but it is marginally effective as a stump puller. Basically, plan on the same amount of TIME as "manually" digging out a stump, but do it MUCH safer, MUCH cleaner, with MUCH less effort, and having MUCH more fun than in a hole on your hands and knees with chains and the like.

And there is no question about the 3PH mount vs. the frame mount. I would never consider a 3PH mount. Ever. For any cost savings. The "if you don't use it every day" argument is weak...stress is stress whether you do it today, tomorrow, or 4 Tuesday's from now. It is not a question of IF something bad happens, it is WHEN. I can say that even the small-ish BH6000 can produce an ENORMOUS amount of force/energy that must be firmly attached to the tractor to be safe...via a frame mount. 5 hours of use and I have a great deal of respect for its destructive power.

/ Need advice.... #8  
KeithInSpace said:
With regard to weight, the original post had to do with a Woods BH6000 on a B series tractor. Obviously, that isn't a problem. Nor is it a problem on a BX (although I do concede that my front end is considerably lighter with the BH mounted). At the same time, a B70X is totally inappropriate on a BX and would weight down a 20 HP B1750 with a pretty hefty load. I think Mr. RDnT's comments were with regard to the machines listed on the thread, not about weight in general.

The original post also included the Kubota L2550, a much heavier
tractor, as a consideration. The issue with tractor weight is primarily
one of digging ability and drivability. Although the B1750 is a bit
bigger than the subcompact BXs, it is still a very small tractor and
Woods provides subframes for their older 6500 hoes only for that
unit. The BH70-X subframes they list include the B1700, but not the
B1750. A custom subframe can be made for that tractor, but the
BH70-X is still a lot of hoe for that small unit.

/ Need advice.... #10  
I'm no kubota guy.. but 3pt bckhoes are only toys if they don't have a subframe.. IE.. if you do anything mor ethan leisurly work.. you can break your tractor in half.

Soundguy