Blocking the clutch pedal

/ Blocking the clutch pedal #1  

GrantMO

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3410
On the L3410 there is a little hook that you can attach to the clutch pedal when it's pushed in. How long of a time idle would require leaving the clutch disengaged?
18-64320-TractorsigK.JPG

/ Blocking the clutch pedal #2  
Grant, I generally leave mine hooked for the first 3-5 min with the rpm set at 1200. Then I will un-hook it and let it finish warming up to operating temperature. IMHO this allow the motor an unloaded warm-up time plus allows the hydraulics to start warming.

/ Blocking the clutch pedal #3  
I'd be interested in what the Kubota manual recommends.
My thought on leaving the clutch disengaged (using the hook) was for long term storage of the tractor, to keep the clutch plates from bonding (rusting) together.
Never would I want to have the clutch disengaged while the engine is running. Seems this would run the risk of removing clutch facing. Too close to "slipping the clutch" which wears them out quickly. But then people blame the tractor for the clutch wearing out, and don't know they have done it themselves.
What does Kubota say about this? I may have it all wrong.

/ Blocking the clutch pedal #4  
Wow, you have a hook? All I have is little block of wood that came in the toolbox under the seat. My manual says to use it for long term storage.

/ Blocking the clutch pedal #5  
My dealer said to use the hook to keep the clutch disengaged long term storage (a month or so) to keep the plates from rusting together. I guess it would depend on your local conditions and your comfort factor.

Later
Mark

/ Blocking the clutch pedal #6  
Even on the B7100HST it says to disengage the clutch for long storeage..I do this everytime I put her away until the next time,also take her out of high or low range as well.

/ Blocking the clutch pedal #7  
I would think that leaving the clutch pushed in any longer then necessary would do more harm then good, The thrust pushing the crankshaft forward from the releasing of the pressure plate would be hard on the crankshaft thrust bearing, especially when the engine is cold

/ Blocking the clutch pedal #8  
<font color=blue>it says to disengage the clutch for long storeage</font color=blue>

Dang!
crazy.gif

This whole concept is news to me, but by golly, here's what I found in the Storage section of my L2500DT manual:

2-109017-ClutchLockPlate.gif

Don't know if I actually have that "clutch lock plate" doohickey, but I bet even I could fabricate one.
wink.gif

Since I only visit my tractor a couple of times a month (less during winter), maybe I should make this part of my normal time-to-go-home procedure?

Attachments

• 2-109017-ClutchLockPlate.gif
    2-109017-ClutchLockPlate.gif
    19.6 KB · Views: 152
   / Blocking the clutch pedal #9  
Go with what Beenthere and BMW says. Storeage only-don't use hook with motor running. Never used mine on 3010 as tractor sits inside and is not damp.

/ Blocking the clutch pedal #10  
Harv,

Mine was in the little toolbox under the seat. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you store your tractor in a damp environment.