Hydro Problem?

/ Hydro Problem? #1  

r0GuE

Veteran Member
Tractor
ex-Bota Owner
At the end of my mowing session yesterday, I dropped the tractor to idle (PTO disengaged) and noticed that my hydro was making a bit of a crackling sound. Seemed to be coming from the rear. Sounded more like hydraulic snapping than mechanical. The tractor seemed hot (toward the rear - lifter arms were hot to the touch), but it was hot yesterday, and I do use the rear PTO for the bagger. I shut her down and checked my UDT level. It was ok.

Perhaps I'm just noticing something that was always there. I was using earplugs yesterday, so maybe my hearing was just a little better after mowing that it usually is...?

Any ideas?

/ Hydro Problem? #2  
I can't comment on the crackling but can say that my BX23 makes a lot of whining, hissing, and various other noises, after about 200 hours it appears to me that these are a standard set of whining, hissing and various noises.

As for heat, I mow about 3 acres twice a week this time of year, I can say that my butt gets pretty warm as the machine gets smoking hot.

/ Hydro Problem?
Yeah, I'm with you that it makes alot of noises. I have over 200 hrs on mine now. That's what worries me. This sound SEEMs to be new. As I mowed I recall hearing a sound that sounded like I was driving over a big pile of thin dry sticks. There were no sticks though. :(

/ Hydro Problem? #4  
I shut her down and checked my UDT level. It was ok.
You running UDT or SUDT?

I have over 200 hrs on mine now.
If you continue to hear the sounds you may want to R&R the HST fluid, filter and check the screen, even though it's not due until the 300 hr maintenance but it can't hurt to be a little proactive.
The screen will give you clues if theres any access mechanical wear present inside.
After about 2 acres of mowing with my BX23 ( I mow 4 acres weekly), it will whine and hiss alittle louder but I haven't heard any sounds like you've indicated.

Good luck

Last edited:
   / Hydro Problem? #5  
Rogue,

Check your HST fan, there may be something hitting the blades.

BX24fanunder.jpg

Richard

/ Hydro Problem?
Well, I started it today and pulled it out of the shed and to my driveway. Pulled the deck off. Everything looks pretty normal (though much greasier and grungier than the pic above! I'm gonna run it for now and see if I hear it again. I'd really like to get another season on it before doing the hydro. There were some leaves near the fan, and I could easily believe that there was a walnut tree stem in there. They are hardy enough to stand up tho the blades, but flexi enough to not break them. Since I had plugs in (I normally don't but recently started to wear them), perhaps I am not used to being able to hear detail over the din.

BTW - Super UDT is in it.

Thanks for the help, and any more advice is appreciated.

/ Hydro Problem? #7  
Don't know about the noises, but the hydraulic oil temps normally run 100F above ambient. 80F outside= 180F oil temps, so it's normal for the metal components to feel uncomfortably warm.

/ Hydro Problem? #8  
Richard, Thanks for your comment and photo of the HST fan. The rear of my BX2200 had been really hot when mowing this spring. Found this string and after checking my fan found only three of the blades remaining. Washed the dirt out of the cooling fins, replaced fan, running 100% cooler. Thanks again to you and all for the many great tips and ideas. New BX2200 owner.
Bramblewood (Dan)

/ Hydro Problem? #9  
rOGuE'
Two simple questions. 1) are you sure the mid pto was off? 2) did you have the mmm off before mowing you lawn?
The reason I ask is I had a simular noise as you described. This year when I put the mmm on my B7800 I had a funny noise every time I pushed in the clutch or lowered the rpm's. After talking to the dealer he said to make sure the shaft was put together correctly. The shaft should only slide on one way (the splines should only go together one way). The shaft should have a weld on it to fit the missing spline on the female end. Mine did not have this welded tab and would go together no matter how you lined it up. The two yokes should be in the exact same direction when installed corectly. It must be a ballance thing.
After checking this and realliening the shaft, the noise went away.
Maybe your problem could be as simple as this, but if you are sure that the mid pto was off chances are that is not your problem. Check the simple things first. Good Luck!!
Dan

/ Hydro Problem?
I need the mid PTO on to run the mower. The rear PTO runs the bagger. I'll check those splines though. Thanks!