BX engine almost stalls..

/ BX engine almost stalls.. #1  

Rusty4242

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX23
I am just getting used to operation my recently acquired BX23( 90 hours on it when I bought it from a local dealer) Unfortunately, I got no manuals with it, so I'm sort of winging it. It seems to be in great shape. I was using the bucket to push some thickets down a bank when the engine almost stalled upon reversing up the bank a few times. It finally stalled. I restarted it,raised the bucket, put it back in low, reved it up,stepped on the diff lock and was able to back up the bank. The BX has a hydro tranny. I have been digging stumps on level ground with nary a problem. What do you think? Thanks, Rusty

/ BX engine almost stalls.. #2  
I think you may not have been running the engine fast enough.

ron

/ BX engine almost stalls..
Is there an operating manual there, or just parts book?

/ BX engine almost stalls.. #5  
How steep was the bank and were you in low the entire time. If you weren't running at a high enough RPm it is understandable that the BX would stall, also if you were mistakenly in high gear and tried to back up a steep high the engine may bog and then eventually stall.

/ BX engine almost stalls.. #6  
Rusty4242 said:
Is there an operating manual there, or just parts book?
I don't think so and my apology. I was not thinking parts vs operations. I posted this without regards to your needs. I'll keep looking.

/ BX engine almost stalls.. #7  
The key is to keep the transmision in "low" on steep inclines.

/ BX engine almost stalls..
Thanks, I might not have been reved up enough. Although I was in low, for sure.
The bank was about 25 or 30 degrees I'd guess, and kind of soft.

/ BX engine almost stalls.. #9  
Hmmm, might help to put your seatbelt on. There is a kill-switch under the seat that stops the engine if you don't put weight on the seat while driving, especially while going backwards up a hill.

Tractor thinks it has lost it's driver and stops. Safety stuff...

I have had many problems with that one and I'm not the one who miss out on any meals!

/ BX engine almost stalls.. #10  
Unless you are on the road in transport, I'd leave it in low all the time. Also, I almost ALWAYS go full thottle when working the BX. I back it off JUST a tad for mowing on the flat.

Go to the dealer and have him order you manuals. There is stuff in there you need. If this is your first tractor, BE CAREFULL. Get the manual and read it. It is not a Craftsman riding mower, and there is stuff there that can break your body.

I believe that was irresponsible for the dealer to give you that machine without manuals. Dangerous for both you and the tractor.

If you can't get them from your dealer, call Kubota and/or throw a post out and find a local member who will let you photo copy his manuals.