Mulchers in the Northwest

/ Mulchers in the Northwest #1  

mulchoregon

Hey all! Thanks for all of the great information. As I have stated before I am getting ready to implament a business plan to mulch in Oregon. I was wondering if anyone could give me any successful pointers on how to educate people about mulching rather than dozing and burning.
Or if there are fellow mulchers on this forum from the Northwest that would chime in about what has worked.

Thanks in advance for all of the help.:)

Lance

/ Mulchers in the Northwest #2  
We are an ASV dealer in No. Idaho and have customers who are in the mulching business. They do the general education, talk to people, tell the the benefits etc. None that I have seen run ads. They have brochures and portfolios of jobs done and they are backed up months out on jobs.

One guy owns two forestry packages, an RC-50 and rents an RC-60 from me for weeks or a month at a time. He is two months out on jobs.

We have another customer who has one machine and is looking at getting another as he runs two shift right now on his machine (long days of sunlight here now).

The things these guys have in common is that they have hooked up with real estate people who use them, developers, and government contracts. Once they are lots of regular customers and lots of word of mouth.

Set up demos for these type of customers and this will help.

Best of luck to you.

Maka

/ Mulchers in the Northwest
Thanks Maka that was sound advice. I had some ideas previously and will definitely take note of your comments. I know that there is a market out here for mulching I am just nervous about taking the big step of buying a mulching machine:confused: without business lined up or contracts had in hand. Thanks again for the words of wisdom.

-Mulchoregon

/ Mulchers in the Northwest #4  
Maka said:
We are an ASV dealer in No. Idaho and have customers who are in the mulching business. They do the general education, talk to people, tell the the benefits etc. None that I have seen run ads. They have brochures and portfolios of jobs done and they are backed up months out on jobs.

One guy owns two forestry packages, an RC-50 and rents an RC-60 from me for weeks or a month at a time. He is two months out on jobs.

We have another customer who has one machine and is looking at getting another as he runs two shift right now on his machine (long days of sunlight here now).

The things these guys have in common is that they have hooked up with real estate people who use them, developers, and government contracts. Once they are lots of regular customers and lots of word of mouth.

Set up demos for these type of customers and this will help.

Best of luck to you.

Maka

Maka,

What kind of heads are they running on a RC-50 & RC-60?

/ Mulchers in the Northwest #5  
Hey Mulch. Still getting the 140? Sounds like you have the ever constant problem of educating the customer. A two edged sword if you will. You are in a situation where you could generate a lot of income before someone else does - and they will - and the need to "teach" them that your "new" way is better without letting every other contractor in on the way to attract customers. The cost of the 140 alone is enough to deter the wannabees. That is one serious machine. That may well be your advantage. Just find your niche and stick there. We all want to be able to mulch an acre an hour, but at what monthly payment? Demonstrations have been the way for me. The machine dosen't look like much but when it is in action is where their mouths really drop:eek: Any mulcher who is not busy enough to make their payment just hasn't applied themselves IMO. It Takes $$ to Make $$

Good luck and welcome to the gang!
This board has helped many decide their fate!:D