Kubota L48 or Deere 110? Your thoughts..

/ Kubota L48 or Deere 110? Your thoughts.. #31  
yekrut said:
I think Mike was referring to his 9 ton excavator. Correct me if I'm wrong.

haha-I hope he was. I was thinkin Mike may have been in the hot sun too long today-I know they're having a heat wave up there.. :) Anything with tracks is gonna bulldoze better than tires. However, with better sight lines, faster ground speed, cab, AC, tunes & comfy seat, I'd rather do bulldoze work in my Case, even if it bulldozes a little slower than a track hoe. Besides, I can back up faster :) A track-hoe's primary job isn't loader work or bulldozing, it's digging.

We need to get back on topic now that we've made fun of each other.

/ Kubota L48 or Deere 110? Your thoughts..
I wanted the smaller L48 size machine versus a full size backhoe for weight reasons. It would be easier to haul and may leave less foot print. However I could be talked into a full size backhoe. It would have to be used, as I can't afford a full size new backhoe. I would like to stay close to $20k, being used, and I have to keep my tractor.

So here's the question. What's the BEST, LIGHTEST, USED machine out there that isn't worn out for around $20k?

When I say lightest, I mean I don't want Deere's or Cases's biggest models, maybe their smallest ones. I need to be able to move this thing with a 1 ton and 14k trailer.

Any suggestions on models, which years, what's too many hours, etc...

/ Kubota L48 or Deere 110? Your thoughts.. #33  
xxxsandman said:
I wanted the smaller L48 size machine versus a full size backhoe for weight reasons. It would be easier to haul and may leave less foot print. However I could be talked into a full size backhoe. It would have to be used, as I can't afford a full size new backhoe. I would like to stay close to $20k, being used, and I have to keep my tractor.

So here's the question. What's the BEST, LIGHTEST, USED machine out there that isn't worn out for around $20k?

When I say lightest, I mean I don't want Deere's or Cases's biggest models, maybe their smallest ones. I need to be able to move this thing with a 1 ton and 14k trailer.

You gotta be kiddin. Even the smaller Case & Deere 4x2s with no cabs weigh 13-14,000lbs alone. My 580 SuperM weighs 18,000lbs! A 14K trailer weighs 4K alone, that leaves you with only 10K load capacity. An L-48 with a few accesories weighs like 8,500 lbs. You might not even be able to carry a smaller JCB210 on a 14K trailer. I think they weigh 11-12K alone.

Forget pulling any full-size backhoe in a 14K trailer, ain't happenin. I already studied that possibility.

You might be able to pull a small Case 4x2 non-cab backhoe on a 18K 5th wheel and a dually pick-up, but I'd bet you'd be overweight on GCWR.

The smallest truck legally capable of pulling a small full size 4x2 would be an F-550 with a payload package, because the truck would weigh 10K, the hoe would weigh 13K and the trailer would weigh 5K That's a total of 28K, over the CDL limit and would require the payload package on a 450 or 550.

/ Kubota L48 or Deere 110? Your thoughts.. #34  
xxxsandman said:

Tough to find a backhoe that's not worn out for under 20K.

What's your aversion to the JCB210?

/ Kubota L48 or Deere 110? Your thoughts..
My brother has an big older Ford backhoe that I've moved locally. I borrow the neighbors 20k trailer to do it. It hauled it fine and my truck pulled it OK. I wouldn't want to do it every day or even weekly, but it wasn't too bad.

I figured so much on the 14k trailer, but now everyone understands why I want the smaller backhoe. It seems tough, if not impossible to pull a full size backhoe around, even on a 20k trailer with a 1 ton truck legally.

I will look at the JCB.

/ Kubota L48 or Deere 110? Your thoughts.. #36  
xxxsandman said:
My brother has an big older Ford backhoe that I've moved locally. I borrow the neighbors 20k trailer to do it. It hauled it fine and my truck pulled it OK. I wouldn't want to do it every day or even weekly, but it wasn't too bad.

I figured so much on the 14k trailer, but now everyone understands why I want the smaller backhoe. It seems tough, if not impossible to pull a full size backhoe around, even on a 20k trailer with a 1 ton truck legally.

I will look at the JCB.

You'd get locked-up and shut down around here pulling a 20K trailer off the bumper of a pick-up. First, the cops would have a good laugh at the amount in fines you'd pay and tickets they'd write, then you'd be calling your wife from the station saying "ahhh... hon, I've got a little problem...." lol

Even a 14K trailer, which is gonna be at or past your legal limit off the bumper of a pick-up, is only gonna leave you 10K legal payload.

I can't imagine the GCWR of your pickup being more than 22,000lbs.

/ Kubota L48 or Deere 110? Your thoughts.. #38  
I just looked in my manual , a 580 e without cab , no 4x4 , ( just standard machine ) weight is 11, 625 with 24 in rear bucket

/ Kubota L48 or Deere 110? Your thoughts.. #39  
before leaving in the morning.
good luck,

Attachments

• truck and hoe.JPG
    truck and hoe.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 781
   / Kubota L48 or Deere 110? Your thoughts.. #40  
tractorsanmore said:
I just looked in my manual , a 580 e without cab , no 4x4 , ( just standard machine ) weight is 11, 625 with 24 in rear bucket

I think he wants a 4x4, but not sure. 4x2 backhoes are pretty useless off the pavement.

Add 30 gallons of fuel, chains, binders and you're at 12K. You'd need a 18K trailer to haul it legally. A 16K trailer wouldn't quite be enough, unless you could find one under 4K empty.

The GCWR comes into play. If the 580 & trialer weigh 17-18K and the GCWR of a dually is 23K, that only leaves 6K for the truck. Ain't gonna happen. Now if you could keep the 5th wheel trailer at ~16K and the truck was a dually with hardly anything in the bed and under 7K, you might be legal.

Decent JCB210 for under 20K
1994 JCB 210S For Sale at MachineryTrader.com