Mulching- a growing business or saturated market?

/ Mulching- a growing business or saturated market? #1  

rutwad

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 5465, Kubota M5040, Farmall H (2), Minneapolis Moline R, Case 530CK, Cat 416C
Hello all,

I have not been keeping up with all of my forums like I should, but I don't see much about mulching.

Are new people still eager to get into the business?

For those in business, is it steady work?

I'd love to hear from those interested and those already in the business. I may have some items to sell that would help someone save money.

/ Mulching- a growing business or saturated market? #2  
Rutwad:

I have been in the mulching and clearing business for five years. I have a Cat 248 thats paid for and a CAT 268-B thats not. Both have FAE 48" cut Mulchers attached, and I have buckets and an Ambusher 66" rotary mower, which I love, for them.

I started out doing logging slash clean-up, subdivision and lake lots, wildlife habitat improvement, survey lines and topo grids, and other similar type work. Demand for survey worl and subdivision developmant has come to an abrupt halt. However, I have been extremely busy managing timber sales(I am also a consultant Forester) and doing logging slash clean-up due to a severe pine park beetle infestation this summer. I don't see a large scale slowdown as long as I remain flexable and wear many hats. I haven't been posting much because I've been so busy.

That said, I do think that there are too many businesses like mine in my area. many who have just entered the market are slow. Most have been working for developers who now are not doing as much developing because of a slack housing market.

I have had to hire people, let them go and rehire them over the last few months because of a roller coaster market, but I'll probably out do last year which was my best year.

To answer your question, things are good at Lake Oconee.

/ Mulching- a growing business or saturated market? #3  
Rut, I havent been busy primarily due to the fact I cant seek out/bid work with my CAT 257B High Flow and 53" Timber AX since I work a 9-5 job weekdays...Its hard to line anything up worthwhile on sats or suns..Today I was mulching and hit a covered/buried Small Block Chevy engine...:mad: Arghh...What are you selling?

However, I have been thinking about talking to the local LOGGERS in my area about slash/clean up..

Mowermoney, Glad to here you are busy! There are at least 5 logging outfits in my town..What or how would you suggest I introduce myself and services to them..I have never done work for log outfits and dont really know what they may need or would look for in a subcontractor to come in after they are gone or while they are there or whatever...How do you bill them for your services? What exactly do you do for them? Pile all the slash and branches left behind and then mulch them? I also have a root grapple/rake...and bucket...Just looking for info ..:D

/ Mulching- a growing business or saturated market? #4  
Scott:

Loggers are the last people that would spend money to clean ut their mess. My customers are:
1. Developers and speculators who buy cutover tracts to resell. They invest large sums of money in "improvement" projects such as road widening underbrush removal along roads, food plots, shooting lanes and general site clean up. They then market ready made hunting preserves for big bucks.

2. Clients who have timber sales and want to practice stewardship. I also offer site prep and planting services. You may want to talk to the State Forestry Commission. There are Government subsidized stewardship programs that offer funding and tax incentives to private landowners.

3. Real Estate companies. This is the best source of business. They all want to make their listings look better to potential buyers.

Look in the Yellow Pages for Land and Timber companies, timber dealers, and Consulting Foresters and present the owners with your services. Forget loggers. They make the mess, but seldom clean it up.

/ Mulching- a growing business or saturated market? #5  
Mowermoney, Thanks again-Yes those loggers do make a mess...

I am working real estate/property owners now that want an improved image to show their land either in pictures/Tv channel/or in person.gives a customer a vision of what could be built where when they can walk and look over the land.More curb appeal....

have a good one:cool:

/ Mulching- a growing business or saturated market?
Scott, you've got mail.

/ Mulching- a growing business or saturated market? #7  
Rutwad,

Sorry to hear things aren't going so good for you. I have been doing clearing with the Fecon for a little less then a year now. Business has been up and down. I do have some other work such as lawn installation, retaining walls and I sub for another site work guy when I am slow. The biggest thing for me, since I am newer to this business is pricing jobs correctly. I am more afraid of pricing things too cheap then of getting turned down because I am too expensive. That has been working for me BUT there are not to many of these in my area...

QD, things were going good. But my SSL burned and I had to turn down several jobs even though I am no longer advertising. Part of me misses doing it, but another part doesn't. There have been several times I really needed my SSL around the house for myself since then. I still have my attachments along with other items if someone is interested in buying. Send me a PM if anybody is interested.

/ Mulching- a growing business or saturated market? #9  
Mowermoney said:
Rutwad:I started out doing logging slash clean-up, subdivision and lake lots...

Who removes the roots and stumps?

jmf

jmfox said:
Who removes the roots and stumps?

jmf

I looked at a job once where the lady wanted to mulch 40 acres of pines that had been cut. She figured it would be more than piling, burning, and repileing, reburning. But she also figured it would look better and be done when I left. Luckinly, for me, the 40 acres had to be cut before the pines were of much size, so the stumps were not big. I did not think it would take long considering the size of the job.

She told me the "other guys" price for windrowing & burning. Honestly, I was shocked because it seemed so cheap. Then I realized that he obviously was going to leave the stumps. I later talked to him and he does alot of work after timber companies cut property and he said the stumps are always left.
I guess for replanting it's fine, but terrible for making a pasture!:D