Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Silver Member Terra Firma Scott's Avatar
    Tractor
    Cat 257 B High Flow

Default Re: Cat 257 hydro problem

oh darn, I know they have a few different j-stick options..

any luck yet? I have a CAT 247b/257b cd with exploded parts views and part numbers maybe i can find a way to send you copies of the hydraulics or heck try and burn a copy to mail to ya..
    Regards, Scott

2004 CAT 257B HIGH FLOW, 72" BUCKET, 60" ROOT RAKE w/GRAPPLE
    2007 53" LOFTNESS TIMBER AX

You should still be able to let go of your button on your joy stick.If I remember right the 257A model that we had before the B model has a switch up to your left high in the canopy to activate the buttons so you dont have to hold It. check in your owners manual as I cant quite remember how to activate it.

Tractor
    ASV RC-100, '07 272c Cat ,Kubota 080 with Cimaf Head, Cat 257 MTL, JD 450c, Kubota 3440 4wd CUT w/ fel

thanks scott a diagram of the hydraulics would be great! no luck yet it has been too cold this weekend to mess with it.
    Quickest way to a SMALL FORTUNE ....Start with a large fortune and buy a MULCHER
    Click here for best deals on $100 Bill Business Cards

Tractor
    ASV RC-100, '07 272c Cat ,Kubota 080 with Cimaf Head, Cat 257 MTL, JD 450c, Kubota 3440 4wd CUT w/ fel

Quote Originally Posted by dunebuggy55
    You should still be able to let go of your button on your joy stick.If I remember right the 257A model that we had before the B model has a switch up to your left high in the canopy to activate the buttons so you dont have to hold It. check in your owners manual as I cant quite remember how to activate it.
    Dune, thanks I do remember that switch but i didn't think thats what it did. I have been out of that little machine for almost a year and a half and have never needed continous hydro. I did not have the mower then and have since put one of my guys in it.lol guess i will have to let the poor guy know!
    Quickest way to a SMALL FORTUNE ....Start with a large fortune and buy a MULCHER

Any chance you have ice in the hydrolic lines or the bottom of the tank blocking flow?

I know you are in the South, but...

jb

Silver Member
    Tractor
    kobota KX 080-3, KX121-3, L48, (2) L4630, bx23, cat257, M9000,(2) RTV1100,jd450h, ASV100 ,zd331

I had what seem's like the same problem on my ASV. I was running a carbide cutter and all of a sudden the lift arm's hyd. had no response it would just about lift the cutter off the ground and it was during August of 2006, I shut the machine off disconnected the cutter head and recycled the high flow and the the low flow switches.When I did this you could hear the change in tone of the Hyd, circuits after a few tries,I shut the machine off and then restarted the machine the lift arms worked fine. I reconnected the cutter and the unit worked fine. I believe one or both of the flow line valves got stuck and there was no hyd. for the lift arms. Since that time the problem has not reoccured. I talked to my dealer and he also thought that a valve was stuck open. I know that the hyd. of the ASV and Cat use many of the same components my 257 shares many of the asv features and vise versa. I know there is a way to check output pressures on these machines I do not have the equipment to do so but your dealer might be able to help you.

Tractor
    Cat 257 B High Flow

Dirty, I viewed the Hydraulic sections of my CAT cd...169 pages....

No "flow" diagrams but some good descriptive images showing lift and tilt hydraulics..and of course part numbers..Ill try and burn the cd to another sometimes these things are copyrighted but ill try..

By chance did someone turn the MANUAL ball valve for the lift arms? Its located at the rear of the machine if you open the door on the right side has a square drive turning key...I think its for lowering the arms in emergency or when the conrols are inop to lower...maybe its open or partially open??? bypassing fluid?? Just a idea...im no hydro guy..

Maybe you already have it at CAT...
    Regards, Scott

Tractor
    Cat 257 B High Flow

Dirty whats up? Any luck with the CAT? Get the CD? let us know...
    Regards, Scott

Tractor

Did not get the CD as far as I know. Well update, went to cat Thurs and spent about three hours in their shop diagnoseing it. Checked pressures from the pump and it was at 1000psi max. Tec checked the relief and dissasembled it made sure there was nothing in there, and decided on it being either a $28 set of pump seals or the entire pump so I left it there for them to inspect further. Called Fri and they told me the bad news that it was the pump and they had one on the way from Atl. Should be here Mon and hopefully I will be in it again Tues at the latest. New Pump is $500 plus labor but it is ok since this is the first major problem in 3 years! Cat service has always been above and beyond what any dealer has ever offered us no matter where we purchased the machine. I could not express in words how they have gone out of their way several times in the past for us on little items. I just wish ASV was as good to their people.Thanks to all for their help on this matter. Your support and ideas is, as always, appreciated!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson model 85, Allis-Chalmers WD-45

I'm glad that Cat found your problem quite easily. I am a secondary local distributor for the Cat dealer in this territory, so I know what you mean about Cat's quality and service. They are a first class company.
    I had a trainer here from Cat for some training. They figured on a week. When he found out I am a mechanic, we were able to cut it to 2.5 days. Class was geared to a novice. In our spare time, we discussed Cat's hydraulics in depth. He told me that when Cat had to increase their working pressures, they did it by tightening up the pump clearances. This makes clean oil and filters even more critical. If I had a Cat, I would use only Cat oil and filters. After they purchase their oil, they actually use a second filtering process then package it.
    Their prices are also competitive with anyones, for the same quality stuff. I am a Weatherhead hose and fitting dealer as well as dealing Cat's hose and fittings. I can build a Cat hose cheaper than a Weatherhead.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply.
    Willing is not enough, you must do.
    Bruce Lee

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast