ASV SR-80 vs. RC-85 track system

/ ASV SR-80 vs. RC-85 track system #1  

TMTS

Silver Member
Tractor
ASV 4810, JD 540 skidder, Barko loader
anyone using the new ASV SR-80 in the woods/mulching? I have a friend who was looking at the RC-85, and now his dealer says that he can only get him an SR-80.

When I looked at the SR last summer, I was concerned that the new wheel/idler set up on the SR track design was vulnerable to stick/debris/etc. in a forestry type setting...

anyone feedback I can pass on to my buddy?

-TMTS

/ ASV SR-80 vs. RC-85 track system #2  
I believe JMF FOX has the SR 80 and has attempted mulching with it...I could be mistaken though perhaps it was Mowing...

/ ASV SR-80 vs. RC-85 track system #3  
I helped my local dealership sell a SR-80/ASV feconhead to a guy mulching and within a couple of weeks traded it in on a RC-100 due to the lack of power. I have looked at the tracks on the SR verses the 100 very hard and I can see advantages of both. The SR is easier to clean, the RC more rugged. I do thing a very large log held in place by the tracks hitting the other tracks could damage the SR. But they are using the SR series on the new big cats and I know of a mulcher using two and about to add a thrid with no problems. So I would base my choice on HP. And I think they discontinued the 85. For the money I would go with the new Rayco/Fecon 100's. It will live longer in the woods.

/ ASV SR-80 vs. RC-85 track system #4  
I have the SR80 but I only have the 4-in-1 bucket for the woods. No problems regarding track exposure.

jmf

/ ASV SR-80 vs. RC-85 track system
my friend works at a university and he got a grant to get some low impact equipment...he's looking at an addington grapple, a forwarding trailer and mower...

I think the RC 100 is out of his $$ range...he is not going to be running a mulcher- more likey and ambusher/USmower or the like...

thanks for the feedback so far...

-TMTS

/ ASV SR-80 vs. RC-85 track system #6  
TMTS said:
my friend works at a university and he got a grant to get some low impact equipment...he's looking at an addington grapple, a forwarding trailer and mower...

I think the RC 100 is out of his $$ range...he is not going to be running a mulcher- more likey and ambusher/USmower or the like...

thanks for the feedback so far...

-TMTS

For what you describe, I would recommend the ASV PT-60.

jmf

/ ASV SR-80 vs. RC-85 track system #7  
The RC85 would probably be much better than the SR80 in a mulching application. I think you can still order the RC85.

/ ASV SR-80 vs. RC-85 track system #8  
Robbie Hegwood said:
I helped my local dealership sell a SR-80/ASV feconhead to a guy mulching and within a couple of weeks traded it in on a RC-100 due to the lack of power. I have looked at the tracks on the SR verses the 100 very hard and I can see advantages of both. The SR is easier to clean, the RC more rugged. I do thing a very large log held in place by the tracks hitting the other tracks could damage the SR. But they are using the SR series on the new big cats and I know of a mulcher using two and about to add a thrid with no problems. So I would base my choice on HP. And I think they discontinued the 85. For the money I would go with the new Rayco/Fecon 100's. It will live longer in the woods.

Last I heard from my contact at Rayco the new Rayco C100L mulching machine is around $100K with out a mulching head. So add at least another $20K for a mulching head and you're upto $120K for the whole package. My last quote for an ASV RC-100 with a Fecon mulching head is only $74K. So approximately $46K difference in cost between the two machines. There are obviously differences between the two machines that have to be taken into account too.

/ ASV SR-80 vs. RC-85 track system #9  
There are plenty of deals out there used, but for sure get the more HP of the 100.

I was this close to getting an 80, or 85 then I got my 2006 CAT last year, used with only 400 hrs for 36K cab air and it's a 287b. new it was 55-60k
The extra HP sure pays off when you need it.