NEED SOME HELP STARTING MY MULCHING BUSINESS

/ NEED SOME HELP STARTING MY MULCHING BUSINESS #1  
I have a few questions about starting a mulching business. First, I'm curious as to how you get enough business to justify spending what it takes for a dedicated machine and mulching head without even having the equipment to begin with. I have already started a land clearing business. I bought a bobcat 863 F series with a smooth bucket and root rake/grapple to start and a couple of equipment trailers and I'm in the process of getting a brush cutter. Work has been slow this winter (I'm sure I'm not the only one) and I'd like to build up enough business to get a mulcher within a year or so. I'm thinking maybe I could start mulching and just rent the equipment but I'm not sure if I can compete price wise with the guys who own their equipment. I haven't checked on prices yet so I'm just getting started with these thoughts so any advice would be helpful. Also, I was thinking of building a website like DirtyWork did with his. I thought his videos were a pretty good way of showing customers what he could do for them and it also made his business seem legit and professional. I also need some advice on advertising because right now I'm just going on word of mouth. I work a full time job that pays pretty good so I can afford for business to be a little slow but I'd like to quit my job one day and do this full time. I'd appreciate any and all advice and by the way, this is an awesome website!

/ NEED SOME HELP STARTING MY MULCHING BUSINESS #2  
Welcome to TBN.
I am sure you will get a lot of responses to this thread but while you wait look through some of the old posts. I started here as did many other mulchers, we all had the same questions and this forum has been a huge help to us all.

Good Luck!

/ NEED SOME HELP STARTING MY MULCHING BUSINESS
QuickDraw, I see you own a RC 100 and was wondering what your opinion of it is. Right now it is what I have my eye on for the future but would like the advice of someone who already knows about them, all the pros and cons, etc.

/ NEED SOME HELP STARTING MY MULCHING BUSINESS #4  
After visiting all the sites, this is what I did. I bought a Fecon FTX90L (made by Rayco)mulcher, it only had 100hrs and was still under warranty ($85,000) sells for around $95,000, the new ones are FTX100L. I talked to many people that owns ASV's, Bobcat, Cat, etc. Here is a list of problems, they were/are having
not enough cooling, rubber tracks not lasting, weak undercarriage, no forestry package, no pressurized cab, no winch, etc.
This is the reason I spent the extra money, the Fecon was built to do this work, Im not saying its perfect, Im not real crazy about a Duetz engine (but they are tough) but it has all the stuff that the other manufactures are trying to put on theirs. The Fecon uses the Fecon head and so does alot of others, I was/am convinced, its the best head Ive ever used, who wants to spend time, (after you have worked all day) sharpening teeth, not me. The Fecon does offer two other style teeth now. The new model with the 100hp, I hear, is doing a great job.
There seems to be a bunch of ASV's out there, they do have a history of catching a fire, I think part of that is customers, not cleaning out the debris, from the engine compartment, has/had history of exhaust manifold coming lose and setting this debris a fire. The Fecon has a blanket on the exhaust and muffler. Rough terrain is bad on the rubber tracks (Fecon has steel tracks, tripple grousuers) ASV's has weak under carriage supports, a friend of mine, just broke his in too and had to replace the whole support assemblies.
I might have seen a winch on other models, not sure, but in most cases this is a must, now I know someone is getting ready to say this, so I'll beat them to it. If you dont have a tree to hook onto, a winch is no good. True in most cases, Ive got myself out using a boat anchor (Danforth style, no I dont carry a anchor with me), I always carry a extra 100 ft of cable on top of cab, if I think I might need it, also extra rope in truck, so I can reach around 250 ft., do some pre-planning, if you are working in a bad area, sometimes not cutting down some smaller trees in a bunch, you can put the cable around a bunch of small trees, if there is no large trees, to get you out.
OK, I should stop, but I did a bunch of research, before I bought anything, but this is my opinion and Im sure Ive offended someone. So do your own homework, make up you own mind, cheaper, is not always the best way to go.
See how many Fecon's/Rayco's are for sale, used, not that many. Most people like me are keeping them. Look and see how many of the others are for sale, check out the condition and hours.
On the plus side I hear Cat and ASV, has a great finance program for first time buyers. I leased mine, so I can write off almost 100% of cost, costs a little more in finance charges, but the tax write off, is almost double.
ASV and Cat are strong machines, talk to owners, in most cases they will talk to you, look up websites that are out of your area and send them the questions.
Im almost finished, what you going to pull in with and on. You can find many opionions about this, but the fact is, if you are towing something over 10,000 lb, you need a class A CDL. Lots of people out there with no CDL and are getting by with it. If your equipment looks good and you are not trying to pull 10,000 lb with a Ford 150, they may not stop you, but if you get caught in a check, you'll have to get someone to come get the truck, with a CDL or Lowboy ( I learned this one the hard way, I didnt listen)
Thats all, good luck, do your research wisely, lots of good machines out there for sale, times are tough, but we are hoping it will pickup

/ NEED SOME HELP STARTING MY MULCHING BUSINESS #5  
BamaContractor said:
I have a few questions about starting a mulching business. First, I'm curious as to how you get enough business to justify spending what it takes for a dedicated machine and mulching head without even having the equipment to begin with. I have already started a land clearing business. I bought a bobcat 863 F series with a smooth bucket and root rake/grapple to start and a couple of equipment trailers and I'm in the process of getting a brush cutter. Work has been slow this winter (I'm sure I'm not the only one) and I'd like to build up enough business to get a mulcher within a year or so. I'm thinking maybe I could start mulching and just rent the equipment but I'm not sure if I can compete price wise with the guys who own their equipment. I haven't checked on prices yet so I'm just getting started with these thoughts so any advice would be helpful. Also, I was thinking of building a website like DirtyWork did with his. I thought his videos were a pretty good way of showing customers what he could do for them and it also made his business seem legit and professional. I also need some advice on advertising because right now I'm just going on word of mouth. I work a full time job that pays pretty good so I can afford for business to be a little slow but I'd like to quit my job one day and do this full time. I'd appreciate any and all advice and by the way, this is an awesome website!
how do I get the website for Dirty Work?Thanks

/ NEED SOME HELP STARTING MY MULCHING BUSINESS #6  
some of us were told we couldn't have our website in our signatures but in our profiles was OK. Here is DirtyWorks' website

Southern Vegetation Management

/ NEED SOME HELP STARTING MY MULCHING BUSINESS #8  
Willis Fecon Bushhogging said:
After visiting all the sites, this is what I did. I bought a Fecon FTX90L (made by Rayco)mulcher, it only had 100hrs and was still under warranty ($85,000) sells for around $95,000, the new ones are FTX100L. I talked to many people that owns ASV's, Bobcat, Cat, etc. Here is a list of problems, they were/are having
not enough cooling, rubber tracks not lasting, weak undercarriage, no forestry package, no pressurized cab, no winch, etc.
This is the reason I spent the extra money, the Fecon was built to do this work, Im not saying its perfect, Im not real crazy about a Duetz engine (but they are tough) but it has all the stuff that the other manufactures are trying to put on theirs. The Fecon uses the Fecon head and so does alot of others, I was/am convinced, its the best head Ive ever used, who wants to spend time, (after you have worked all day) sharpening teeth, not me. The Fecon does offer two other style teeth now. The new model with the 100hp, I hear, is doing a great job.
There seems to be a bunch of ASV's out there, they do have a history of catching a fire, I think part of that is customers, not cleaning out the debris, from the engine compartment, has/had history of exhaust manifold coming lose and setting this debris a fire. The Fecon has a blanket on the exhaust and muffler. Rough terrain is bad on the rubber tracks (Fecon has steel tracks, tripple grousuers) ASV's has weak under carriage supports, a friend of mine, just broke his in too and had to replace the whole support assemblies.
I might have seen a winch on other models, not sure, but in most cases this is a must, now I know someone is getting ready to say this, so I'll beat them to it. If you dont have a tree to hook onto, a winch is no good. True in most cases, Ive got myself out using a boat anchor (Danforth style, no I dont carry a anchor with me), I always carry a extra 100 ft of cable on top of cab, if I think I might need it, also extra rope in truck, so I can reach around 250 ft., do some pre-planning, if you are working in a bad area, sometimes not cutting down some smaller trees in a bunch, you can put the cable around a bunch of small trees, if there is no large trees, to get you out.
OK, I should stop, but I did a bunch of research, before I bought anything, but this is my opinion and Im sure Ive offended someone. So do your own homework, make up you own mind, cheaper, is not always the best way to go.
See how many Fecon's/Rayco's are for sale, used, not that many. Most people like me are keeping them. Look and see how many of the others are for sale, check out the condition and hours.
On the plus side I hear Cat and ASV, has a great finance program for first time buyers. I leased mine, so I can write off almost 100% of cost, costs a little more in finance charges, but the tax write off, is almost double.
ASV and Cat are strong machines, talk to owners, in most cases they will talk to you, look up websites that are out of your area and send them the questions.
Im almost finished, what you going to pull in with and on. You can find many opionions about this, but the fact is, if you are towing something over 10,000 lb, you need a class A CDL. Lots of people out there with no CDL and are getting by with it. If your equipment looks good and you are not trying to pull 10,000 lb with a Ford 150, they may not stop you, but if you get caught in a check, you'll have to get someone to come get the truck, with a CDL or Lowboy ( I learned this one the hard way, I didnt listen)
Thats all, good luck, do your research wisely, lots of good machines out there for sale, times are tough, but we are hoping it will pickup

Well I heard the rumors about getting the Fecon FTX90L stuck, today was the bad one. I have only been stuck 3 other times and the winch got me out each time. Not this time. I think when I was turning, one side fell in a old stump hole, Bad, Bad, Bad!!!!!! had to use the ejection seat (back window) to get out, couldnt open front door, head in the way and I was leaning, so I couldnt lift it all the way up, Did I say Bad? Its always good to have a helper (I didnt) crawled out of excape hatch 3 times to hook/unhook/hook/unhook,etc. the cable to the tree. I had to pull one bunch of trees down so I could get to the big tree. Bottom line, luckily we had the excavator at the front of the lot and it took the Cat 320, to get it out, Did I say Bad??? nothing broke, except the winch cable, good Idea to have extra cable clamps. I think now I am thinking about getting a pulley for my winch, I can then have double pulling power.
Hope all this helps someone, I learn something everytime I look at the different posts

/ NEED SOME HELP STARTING MY MULCHING BUSINESS #9  
Only stuck 3 times?????????? I get stuck (bad) three times a day before lunch lately. this has been a wet winter and around here the ground "floats" anyway. If you drive over the same ground twice you were lucky. Oh well, all in a days work. I do wish I had steel tracks though.