Tractor
    John Deere 990

Default Question for the skidsteer mulcher boys

After large trees have been cleared off property by the land clearing crew, is a skidsteer mulcher like you talk about the right tool to hire for taking out low-cut stumps, small trees, surface rocks and evening out large mounds etc prior to me bringing in my tractor? or is there a better skidsteer tool or tools for this kind of work? maybe a skidsteer harley rake? don't want a dozer cause that will strip off all the topsoil. I just want the land striped clean flat and even. can a mulcher eat small rocks w/o damage?

In short how does a skidsteer guy approach such work? thanks.

Theo

Tractor
    Cat 248, & Cat268-B

Default Re: Question for the skidsteer mulcher boys

Yes, a skid steer mounted mulcher will mulch small trees up to 8" efficiently, and quickly. It will also mulch larger trees according to species on a smaller scale. Large rocks will break many carbides. Smaller rocks up to softball size will shatter, but will wear teeth quickly. And at two grand a set, rockbusting gets real expensive. FAE makes a rock buster machine, but they are not too common around these parts. A rock rake may be the better tool to use after the mulching is finished. They are a lot less expensive, and they don't wear out.

Tractor
    John Deere 990

Sounds like a fun and powerful tool but I guess it is asking too much to attack surface rocks and mounds of soil. it is not a bull dozer or road grader. just looking for a quick and easy solution to a difficult and time consuming job for my tractor.

Theo

I saw one of those rock pulverizers for sale down in Texas (ain't the net great?). It was used and for like $40K. Looked like a beast and needed some beastly hp to operate and a brute of a 3pt to lift. Weighed many tons.

I'd get one for sure, if'n. as in if'n I had the money and if'n I had the tractor to hook it to!

What is it about the teeth on them that makes them last with rock?