How big an excavator?

/ How big an excavator? #1  

QwikDraw

Platinum Member
Tractor
Timber King TK711
How big of an excavator would it take to put out the same production as an ASV RC100? Or at least close? In mixed stuff up to 6" hardwood?

I'm not talking cost to run or profit in the long run, just production. If I could get a excavator that could get 75% as much I would probably be happy.

I would love to think a 18K model could but I'm not sure. I've been getting a lot of one day jobs that I need both machines. If I only had to move one machine there....better profit, more toys!

How about it Fred or Robbie?

/ How big an excavator? #2  
I run a 9 ton Kubota now, with two different cutting heads. A Rock hound 30hd (Do not buy a 40 hd for a 9 ton machine, no matter what they tell you) and a Loftness Timberaxe. It will not cover the ground that my ASV or my Tak will, but it will do things that those two can't do.

I am thinking of selling it and buying a JD120 or a Tak 1140 that will handle the weight of the Timber axe a little better. That head with 26+ Gpm will mulch 6-7 with no problem. It just weighs too much for that small machine.

I am really looking forward to trying the new Cimaf (Hint, Hint, Hint robbie) before I sell my bota. It is an awesome machine.

/ How big an excavator? #3  
Do you want to run a mower on it too or you talking about using a bucket with a hyd. thumb? I'm just curious, I don't have an asnwer because I don't know how quickly these machines you all own are. For some reason, here in WA it's just not as popular yet. I know of some guys that have the mower/cutter attachments on mini excavators but a skidsteer with the attachments you guys have just haven't caught on yet. I clear with an excavator because I always end up needing to take out stumps and stack logs and do other excavator type work. But I will say that if I get a job that is just brush clearing then I'll go your guys's route.

/ How big an excavator? #4  
Landwise, your 080-3 isn't cutting it huh? Do you have pictures of your machine w/ the attachment...those 080-3's seem pretty burly, your attachment must be larger. JD makes great excavators...well, actually Hitatchi makes great JD excavators. :) If you like how a JD runs but don't want to pay the price, Hitatchi Zaxis models are generally a little cheaper.

/ How big an excavator? #5  
coopers-

There are a couple of pics on my web site Home I love the bota, it just isn't big enough to move that head around.

/ How big an excavator? #6  
I see. Looks like you had an interesting day losing the 'bota to the soft ground. Not fun.

/ How big an excavator? #7  
The 080 sized machine is in a sweet spot. Alot of tractor for it's size, good H.P. and flow, and is still trailerable with truck/trailer most of us run. There isn't much above it without going into the next class. Your CAT 320 series and equals. I've tried to pair up a CAT machine to the 080 and with not much luck, CAT has a gap here. JCB has one close and GEHL maybe. Plus maint. and who can work on it are is pretty easy.
I mounted our head on the 080 we are using for the demo and it's a good match. You can feel the weight but not tractor upsetting. We had hoses made Friday and a factory guy is flying in Monday to help me get it up and running. The little head is built like a tank.
I will post pictures and size material cut as soon as possible. Here's a few pics from the mounting party.

Attachments

• 100_2615.jpg
    100_2615.jpg
    728.5 KB · Views: 1,673
  • 100_2614.jpg
    100_2614.jpg
    705.3 KB · Views: 945
   / How big an excavator? #8  
Kubota makes a good machine. If you like the 8 ton machine try the Takeuchi TB180FR. It can easily be equiped with high flow and should have better balance than the Kubota KX080. The Tak 1140 is an awsome machine but much larger at 14 tons. I believe it is the only one with a pivot boom in that size class.

/ How big an excavator? #9  
Deere Doctor said:
Kubota makes a good machine. If you like the 8 ton machine try the Takeuchi TB180FR. It can easily be equiped with high flow and should have better balance than the Kubota KX080. The Tak 1140 is an awsome machine but much larger at 14 tons. I believe it is the only one with a pivot boom in that size class.

I don't know about easily... I ran the TB175 (Which I will give credit-Is better balanced than the Bota) and it was a pain in the *&^ to try and get a high flow and Detent kit on that machine. I was renting to own that machine, had it for three months, and turned it in because they could not get it to work.

/ How big an excavator? #10  
It is most interesting to read everyone's replies. As Robbie mentionned, it seems there is indeed a good market for the 8- or 9-tonne excavator-mounted brushcutters...

As you might know, we come from making excavator-mount brushcutters on larger machines. We started with models that were installed on 20- to 30-tonne class excavators (+/- 44000 lb to 66000 klb), and went down to smaller sizes only in the past 5 years, with the new DAH-080C this month...

So, if I had to recommend something in the past, I would have said go to a 22-tonne machine. They are often close in size to the 20-tonne, but with more power and hydraulics. Of course, going up to the 25-tonne class, you'd get even more power, but that difference in productivity might not be worth the difference on the price tags.

However, I realize that this recommendation would have been ok mainly for large-scale land-clearing contractors. For more normal-scale/semi-industrial/commercial operations (tell me what term you prefer), hauling the excavator is a major concern and that may decides what size of excavator to go to. As I'm not familiar with DOT requirements, I guess you're better listen to Robbie's comments :)

On the skid steer vs excavator question, if you want to compare them strictly on productivity, then you have more or less to send the same hydraulic power to the head of both carriers to get same production. Nice thing about the skid steers is their power/weight ratio is so high, so a lot of its mechanical power is actually converted to hydraulic power. On the excavator, you gain some reach but loose on the power/weight ratio.

If you compare them on production cost however, if I talk for our machines, based on feedbacks of our customers, you can expect to triple the life of your blades with an excavator (from +/- 100 hr on front-mount to 300 hr and more on excavator-mount). And that brings along less downtime to change the blades. And that gives better hourly costs.

Actually, we did some calculation here on the detailed costs of operation of our heads alone (short-term replacement parts, long-term term replacement parts, depreciation and financing costs). We didn't went as far a putting that in perspective with the operating costs of the complete carrier though. I think I'll try to work on that with Robbie during the next weeks...

But first, I'll let him try the DAH-080C and shot some nice video of it :)

Fred
Marketing, Sales, IT, and others... :rolleyes:
DENIS CIMAF Inc.