ATTN: Robbie and Fred

/ ATTN: Robbie and Fred #1  

cbturf

Gold Member
Tractor
Fecon FTX-140, Fecon FTX 148-L
I have made my decision on the wheeled tractor that I will own but I still have a few needs that I have to address. ROOTBALLS!!! As many of you know mulching rootballs can destroy a machine in short order. My problem is that the design of the Fecon head has the teeth way out there in the breeze and it tends to take very large bites pounding the machine and tearing things up. What I am thinking is that an excavator (15 ton or so) with the Cimaf head will not get destroyed as easily since the design limits the size of a bite she can take. This last machine issue will make me a complete land clearing contractor since I will be able to grind the standing trees as well as grub and grind the stumps, provided you think your head is up to this. I am not at all suggesting that your head is soft but hardwood rootballs are some bad dudes and it is not an insult to get your tail kicked by trying to grind them.

/ ATTN: Robbie and Fred #2  
Hello cbturf,

I'm not really concerned by the wood of the rootballs (hardwood or softwood). However, with roots comes dirt and rocks. My impression is that you might get front-mount-like blade life doing such work. I'll call a few customers and get their feeling on this, and I'll post back their comments...

Robbie, if you want to try that with the DAH-080C and give your impressions, that would be welcome too. Let's test-drive that baby! :D

Thanks!

/ ATTN: Robbie and Fred
I just went and looked at a machine that I really like for this potential application. It is the Kobelco ED150. It is called an ED since it is designed to work as both an excavator and a dozer. It has a six way blade and more importantly a bull dozer undercarriage. In my opinion this is important if you plan to use the machine as a mulcher. An excavator is designed to go to a place and work and not move all of the time. Even though an excavator mounted mulcher will not move like the front mount heads you still have to move a lot more than the machine was designed to do. The dozer undercarriage eliminates this concern. I understand that tooth life will suffer but this is a job that has to be done. When doing large scale commercial clearing leaving stumps is not an option.

The machines specs are:
Operating weight: 35,720lbs
Lifting Capacity: 3,440lbs @25' reach and 20' high over side
Hydraulic pressure: 4980psi
Hydraulic flow: 31.4 gpm (I think, the brochure is a little confusing here)
Engine HP: 94

What head would you reccomend for this machine?

/ ATTN: Robbie and Fred #4  
Why of course were up to the challenge CB. I think the excavator would add some good versatility and solve the rootball problem.
It is excellent timing for at the location we are demoing the new DAH-080C we have blow over from past storms. They have uprooted so we have the opertunity to do exactly what you ask. And since the factory (Fred) authorized the experiment IT'S ON!!! I will post results. I expect exactly what Fred thought you will just get excellarted blade wear. But the excavator head is very easy to control and you can control cutting depth well.
I have Gilles Denis here with me and he has experience with a Kobelco close to that size and we will get back to you with the recommended model.
Hey look, you got both of us to reply. Is the unit a zero tail swing?

Yes on the zero tail swing. Where is the demo going to be I am in Nashville for a couple of weeks maybe I can come down if it is close.

/ ATTN: Robbie and Fred #6  
Hello again,

On a Kobelco ED150, our recommended brushcutter would be the DAH-125D. It replaces the former DAH-060 you see on the pictures attached. Slightly narrower cutting width now, but stronger frame, and same Rexroth 107 cc variable displacement motor. I'm attaching a picture of a recent DAH-125D, you'll notice the frame isn't like the one depicted on our webpage (yep, another little detail to add on the todo list... :rolleyes: )

I hope Robbie and you can meet and you'll have a try at the DAH-080C. Even thought it's two sizes smaller than the DAH-125D, it should give you already an idea of what the rotor can do...

Should I mention? The rings on the rotor are part of our patent. So if any other manufacturer's reading, I'd like to invite them to come up with something else. :)

:D

Attachments

• DENIS CIMAF DAH-060 brushcutter on Kobelco ED150 002.jpg
    DENIS CIMAF DAH-060 brushcutter on Kobelco ED150 002.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 210
  • DENIS CIMAF DAH-060 brushcutter on Kobelco ED150 020.jpg
    DENIS CIMAF DAH-060 brushcutter on Kobelco ED150 020.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 213
  • DENIS CIMAF DAH-125D brushcutter on John Deere 490 034.jpg
    DENIS CIMAF DAH-125D brushcutter on John Deere 490 034.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 198
  • DENIS CIMAF DAH-125D brushcutter on John Deere 490 015.jpg
    DENIS CIMAF DAH-125D brushcutter on John Deere 490 015.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 199
I must admit that it is pretty slick to have the very machine that I am looking at in your pictures. (you salesmen are somthing else!)

By the way Robbie, with the name I gave to this thread I would hope you both respond! HAHA

/ ATTN: Robbie and Fred #8  
The demo location is in McDonough, Ga. 10 minutes from I-75. The tractor is at the site now and will be there thru next week. I hope you can come down and will get you some seat time. We have plenty of stuff to mulch.
I like the new series of head we are running, the DAH-125D is in that family also. They are built like sherman tanks, motor is well protected and all vital organs. These heads will probably outlast the tractors.
If you need more details in the demo location PM me.

Robbie,

I gave Joe Williams at Nashville Tractor your info and he should be contacting you soon.

Pictures from Robbies demo on Tuesday.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    640.9 KB · Views: 168
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    584.7 KB · Views: 198
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    592.2 KB · Views: 213
  • 014.JPG