John Deere 5425 [Turbo] w/ 542 Loader ***Brush Cutter ? ***

/ John Deere 5425 [Turbo] w/ 542 Loader ***Brush Cutter ? *** #1  

JD-in-GA

My first post !

I have a 2007 model, John Deere 5425 [Turbo] w/ 542 Loader.

Here are the tractor specs : Product Specification for 5425 Utility Tractor (81 hp)

Loader specs : John Deere Ag - New Equipment Features for 542 Loader

I need to find a brush/tree "hog, mulcher, etc.".

Now my local JD dealer doesn't deal with this kind of equipment... but he is looking into it.

I have researched Fecon and a few others. I am now looking through the list I found in this post : http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/construction-equipment/93492-fecon-bullhog-vs-loftness-carbide-4.html

I DO NOT want a PTO type mulcher. I do not like breaking my neck and back... who does ?

My tractor is 81hp, 4wd, cabbed, loader... loaded. I have reviewed the specs of the smaller mulcher skid type attachments. I compared them to my tractor/loader and I cannot find much of a reason why one of these things would not work.

I don't plan on cutting down massive trees. I just need to clean up a lot of old farm growth.

I've got a small 125 acre place that needs serious brush control. My bush hog just doesn't cut it.

I'm hoping someone here can give me some advice on what my next step is.

Thanks in advance for the help !

/ John Deere 5425 [Turbo] w/ 542 Loader ***Brush Cutter ? *** #2  
I have never seen a mulch head on the front of a tractor. I don't think it has the hydraulic flow to run one. I see 25GPM but not the psi. They are pretty heavy too...maybe a 53" Timber axe??? They are still over 1900 pounds.

http://www.loftness.com/pdf/TimberAx_specs.pdf

Your best option would be a PTO run mulch head and get that sore neck.

Fae, loftness and Fecon make PTO models.

/ John Deere 5425 [Turbo] w/ 542 Loader ***Brush Cutter ? *** #3  
Your tractor puts out 18.7 gpm at the SVC and 2,884 psi. These are probably the numbers to use. Is 18.7 gpm enough? The psi is reasonable but still under most skidsteers used in mulching. Also think about all the trash/debris hitting the front of the tractor and cab. I am afraid you will create some damage to the tractor. Mulchers usually have special kits on the skidsteer to prevent damage.
The FEL can lift 3000 lbs but usually the back end of the tractor will rise unless you have very good counter weight. A skidsteer lift capacity is rated at half the tipping weight. Tractors are not rated the same way. Your 3000 lbs of lift is nearly the same as the tipping weight.

Overall probably not a great idea.

/ John Deere 5425 [Turbo] w/ 542 Loader ***Brush Cutter ? ***
radman1 said:
Your tractor puts out 18.7 gpm at the SVC and 2,884 psi. These are probably the numbers to use. Is 18.7 gpm enough? The psi is reasonable but still under most skidsteers used in mulching. Also think about all the trash/debris hitting the front of the tractor and cab. I am afraid you will create some damage to the tractor. Mulchers usually have special kits on the skidsteer to prevent damage.
The FEL can lift 3000 lbs but usually the back end of the tractor will rise unless you have very good counter weight. A skidsteer lift capacity is rated at half the tipping weight. Tractors are not rated the same way. Your 3000 lbs of lift is nearly the same as the tipping weight.

Overall probably not a great idea.

You make valid points. Many I have thought about. Here is my plan... if I can find the right company to help.

1. 3 point counterweight, no problem.

2. PTO hydraulic pump to boost pressure [used one with fluid tank or a backhoe attachment]. It should help boost it to skidsteer specs, or get closer.

3. Weld up a steel cage to protect the tractor grill, hood, etc. Pretty easy little project. Much cheaper than buying one or buying a skidsteer ;)

4. Use John Deere FEL skidsteer adapter. Just found it on their website. Would also consult dealer, etc.

5. Also apply 1/4" polycarbonate "glass" to the front of cab. Would also put some on the doors, in strategic areas.

6. Get stencils and paint.... paint "M1A1 Deere" on the side of it :D

You guys get the idea.

Many of the mulcher companies make "PTO" versions for tractors like mine. They do not require anything too special to work. I've watched Fecon's videos, etc. They seem a lot more dangerous, to me, because of so many blind spots. I have very little reaction time in reverse...

One would think they should just make them for the FEL ! Just use a hydraulic assist pump. Much safer setup, IMO.

In all seriousness, if one will work on a PTO, why will it not work on the front ? [Considering the "armoring" I have mentioned].

Is it a matter of FEL lift capacity, for most models, or just the hydraulic Gpm ?

I really believe there is a small market for something like this. A nice little 3-4 foot FEL mulcher for the tractor.... who wouldn't want one of these on a farm ?

/ John Deere 5425 [Turbo] w/ 542 Loader ***Brush Cutter ? *** #5  
by PTO pump I assume you mean one like you would have on a 3-pt backhoe or wood splitter...then couple it with the existing tractor hydraulics...

if thats the case, I would be concerned about overheating of the hydraulic fluid...when I have used a prince pto pump on a timberwolf spiltter I could hardly touch the tank... running a fecon or other mulcher would get it way hotter...not sure how much cooling you would get if you tied it into tractor hydraulic system...

my ASV has a dedicated hydraulic cooler and a 35+ gal tank and even then things get pretty hot...

my .02 worth...

/ John Deere 5425 [Turbo] w/ 542 Loader ***Brush Cutter ? *** #6  
Get a belly pan from GR Manufacturing as they make one to fit the 5425 and then a HD PTO bush hog (BH 406, Brown 672) then just drive over the trees. This way you can use the FEL for a grapple to help with clean up.

/ John Deere 5425 [Turbo] w/ 542 Loader ***Brush Cutter ? *** #7  
If you go with a pto pump, it is generally recommended that the reservoir size be 2x of the gpm. If have 25 gpm pump, need about 50 gal reservoir to help with the heat unless you fabricate an oil cooler.

/ John Deere 5425 [Turbo] w/ 542 Loader ***Brush Cutter ? *** #8  
Think about reversing the steering wheel and pedals in the tractor and driving it backwards . You will have much more power driving through the PTO . If you have an Orbitrol type hydraulic steering setup this part is easy . You may need to servo assist the pedals . Have a good look at it because it is do able .

/ John Deere 5425 [Turbo] w/ 542 Loader ***Brush Cutter ? *** #9  
Would a gyrotrac lowflo work on this machine? I mean I wouldn't use a mulcher on a fel but I believe the gyrotrac lowflo head might possibly work with very little modification to the hydraulics. I could be wrong though.

/ John Deere 5425 [Turbo] w/ 542 Loader ***Brush Cutter ? *** #10  
I would strongly reccomend against using a tractor FEL for a mulching application. Even if you could resolve the hydraulic oil cooling problem, this is a MAJOR issue, your Deere is not made to withstand the beating that mulching machines take. We are constantly working on our machines and they are much beefier than the FEL on a tractor. Your pins and cylinders. loader arms and connections will be destroyed very quickly! I am sure you could make it work, probably fairly easily, but I am not certian that you should really want to.