Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 5609, Kubota GS1800, eXmark LazerZ XP

Default Re: Land Clearing ~ 30 acres

Downside to grinding is the stump will eventually rot. When it does, its going to leave a hole that is waiting to break a horse's leg. For some reason, cows do pretty good with the rotting stumps. Horses - well, they're an accident waiting for a place to happen.

Tractor
    Many

The job is always best if you never make a stump . Big dozer to push them over wholesale then cut timber off then burn tops and bury stumps .

Quote Originally Posted by tonyoz View Post
    Then whatcha gunna do with do with the stumps?????
    The root rake takes out the smaller ones. The u-blade digs out the large ones. Make a windrow of the stuff and let it rot. The root rake leaves the dirt behind. The heavy disk takes care of the rest. In fact for light bush the disk alone will work!!!!!!

Some place the trees are dozed off into windrows during the winter frost. In the spring the big disk will till it up. Breaking plough can also be used.

-82297604-jpg

-break-plow-jpg
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Tractor
    Many

Quote Originally Posted by Egon View Post
    The root rake takes out the smaller ones. The u-blade digs out the large ones. Make a windrow of the stuff and let it rot. The root rake leaves the dirt behind. The heavy disk takes care of the rest. In fact for light bush the disk alone will work!!!!!!

Some place the trees are dozed off into windrows during the winter frost. In the spring the big disk will till it up. Breaking plough can also be used.
    For the very small stuff (less than 6 inches) we sweep off in -20c but bigger stuff breaks off in the ground then having to wait till summer to dig them out so do it in two passes , Topple the big ones in summer then sweep everything into fires in winter to avoid dirt .

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 5609, Kubota GS1800, eXmark LazerZ XP

Remember guys, I live in South Carolina. We rarely drop below 0 C and its even rarer to stay below 0 C for a whole day. I might have to wait until December for the first frost.

Tractor
    kubota L3800

Have you considered buying your own excavator or renting one?
    Without seeing the land i would suggest to rent or buy a good sized excavator with a thumb and pull and pile all the bigger stumps first.
    Then rent a decent sized dozer with a root rake to level off everything else and finish grubbing the small stumps and brush out then burn everything.
    I would for sure rent an excavator for a week and see how it goes i think you would be surprised what you could get done.
    I would buy my own before i forked out 90k to hire it done.
    Then you could do all your own projects with it and then sell it when your done and probably recover most of your investment.
    Just keep in mind if you beat the machine repairs can get real expensive real fast but if you get a decent machine and use your head you could save lots of $$ if you do the work.

Tractor
    Carolina Clearing, LLC

The u-blade digs out the large ones.
    Actually a V-blade is more for busting out stumps and a KG-blade is perfect for it. A U-blade is made for moving dirt.

A Drum Chopper is also better for going over the debris than discs.
    Last edited by DIRTROAD; 04-12-2013 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTROAD View Post
    Actually a V-blade is more for busting out stumps and a KG-blade is perfect for it. A U-blade is made for moving dirt.

A Drum Chopper is also better for going over the debris than discs.
    U-blade with tilt works for many things.

Does a drum chopper turn over the soil?
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Tractor
    Carolina Clearing, LLC

U-blade with tilt works for many things.

Does a drum chopper turn over the soil?
    I assume that you have done this in the red clay of the south????? I think I know just a little about what I'm talking about.

Tractor
    (2) 2014 CAT 299DXHP / FECON

I am close by and 36" stumps are no problem for our mulchers. I would be glad to stop by and take a look.

Leaving the stumps in the ground is a discussion we encounter constantly when prepping for pasture. We can remove them or mulch them flush. Each landowner has their opinion on which is best. Some have the same concerns you do about Horses stepping in holes. Others comment that they ride their horses on trails, etc where there are holes, loose rocks, etc and the horses don't have a problem so why would they in a pasture. I don't own a horse so we just explain the methods and let them decide which is best for them.
    No matter what anyone tells you, old fencing, cable, and farm implements that are in the middle of the woods are not your friends!

Colby
    S & P Land Services

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast