Track loader ASV CAT or Takeauchi

/ Track loader ASV CAT or Takeauchi #1  

Pfm1011

Tractor
sold all at divorce....
I have 160 acres in Toronto which is 60 acres white pine bush , 90 acres of scrubland which has not been touched for 30 years. The place is going to be turned into a weekend getaway/estate.

Land has a few hills but some mildly wet land near the river which I will just keep away from in the spring. main land is niagara clay so not fun in the wet.

The Forest needs to be thinned ( 40 year old white pine growing 5 feet apart in sections which will have to be thinned ) so I want to go thru and mulch trails . Most cutting will be 2 inch or below. Big trees to be pulled off by someone else

On the scrub I need to regrade sections, Expand natural ponds, run a 1500 ft driveway etc. Regrade drainage ditches . Prep ten acres for 7000 white pine planting

I need to buy a track steer , 84 inch 6 way dozer blade, Rock bucket, Root grapple and Hammer flail (fc200) or small mulcher or maybe just a big brush cutter.

I want to buy a used track loader , Used but under 2 or 3 years old 1000 hours with Cab. Must be joysticked as it will be 8 hours use at a time and the wife will be using it also.

For a carrier I have looked at ASV rc85 and rc100, Cat 277B and Tak TL150 ( gehl/mustang). (high flow)

The unit will never touch gravel or asphalt and probably will only be used a 100 to 200 hours a year initially then sit for a month at a time then be used for little jobs. I need it to start every time, including winter

I have read alot about the ASV/Cat track problems and associated costs.
The tak has a higher ground pressure 4.1 and the cat and tak have low departure angles (around 28 degrees , ASV 60 degrees)

Forgetting purchase price. Which machine is going to give me the least headaches/downtime etc. I will be doing this on weekends and I cant afford to spend a day fixing the machine and I want this machine to last . Since this will sit alot I am concerned with electrical problems popping up.

Other then the track problems , DO ASV have other problems?electrical etc

With the TAK stiff suspension, Is the ride that bad or does the seat take care of that? Is the taks higher ground pressure going to be a problem or am I over thinking this.?

Is lack of High flow on the Cat a real problem or is 20 enough for most users

There is width differences but I can live with that , However the ASV is high and thin. Is this a slope problem or are they still fairly stable. Can it be rolled or do you have to be an idiot to lay it on its side. It shows 15 degree max but I presume that is with bucket high.

Does the TAK have that much more pull power and will it make a huge difference using the dozer blade or is it just marketing

Piles of question...essentially whats the best choice of the three for dependability and bang for the buck? Also there is Bobcat t300 and 250 to look at.

Any input would be really appreciated

Should also mention have jd5105 and Kuhn /nobilli bne 210 flail for the grass

Last edited:
   / Track loader ASV CAT or Takeauchi #2  
Some quick "I my humble opinion thoughts"

- I wound not worry about the ground pressure increase with the Tak...not too much of a diff.

- I think you'll want the high flow

- ASV will have higher upkeep on its tracks...the tracks on an ASV start to go around 1000 hrs- and depending on the previous use, wheels and bearing seals go around 1800 hrs- starts to get expensive- I have no idea on the Taks. ASV makes the tracks on CAT skid steers so I would think you'll see similar issues and costs

- ASV's also have A/C issues- but so do a lot of other skid-steer machines.

- look into a CAT 299 with the new track system...might be just the ticket (oops just saw the need to have a used machine)

Can you rent/demo a machine? Most now have joysticks and are easy to run...but there might be a few small differences that help steer you one way or the other...

/ Track loader ASV CAT or Takeauchi #3  
I have an ASV SR80 and I did have some electrical problems due to bad starter, but the air was not a problem (Red Dot). After running it for full season I can say it is a hard worker and a pleasure to operate. The suspension takes the abuse rather than passing it on to the driver and there is a price, but it all seems worth it at the end of day. I did run a Tak140 before purchasing and there was a marked difference. It had a nervous response and the suspension was a pass through when it came to rough terrain. The Tak was also slow. The turn around times on the ASV were much faster, and the traveling speed is significantly greater than any competitor (12mph).

jmf

/ Track loader ASV CAT or Takeauchi #4  
Currently on my second ASV machine. Guess I'm lucky cause neither one of mine have tracks that went bad with low hours (ASV warraty is 2 yrs., 1000 hours). One of my competitors is running a 4810 with no significant track issues either, so......maybe one operator makes a huge difference, not sure. Both of us do "rotate" our tracks, a trick the 4810 guy told me to do, left to right and front to back. I do not run a mulcher, but have used an ambusher mower. I have been a happy owner without major issues so far.
Cat is famous for having superior parts support.

/ Track loader ASV CAT or Takeauchi
Rotating track...darn good idea.. also gives you a good look at the UC to check for problems and good clean out

The problem I have with ASV is I am stuck buying used and there is a pile of ASV units that are severely abused.. Young kids want to start a mulching business and drive the crap out of the machines and dont stick a penny into it..until the bank grabs them..

The only repo's I see for sale are ASV.. I looked at 2 last week 600 hours U/C and tracks were completely, and I mean completely, shot . One still had the original oil factory filter rusted on at 650 hours. Then again there was a Bobcat t190 with 1800 hours and the oil filter was marked 650 hrs ..

Seems in the used market you have to tread lightly

/ Track loader ASV CAT or Takeauchi #6  
IMO, if you are locked into a used machine, the particular machine (whatever brand / model) you find will be most important from your set of criteriea.

Not to be offensive, but your post reminds me of one of the phrases I like to use.

We offer three things, quick service, low prices and high quality, you can pick any two of the above.

You are asking for all three, and while it comes along occassionally, you have to be lucky or often in the business to find that deal.

You need to weigh out what trumps what, price (used machine) or up time and repairs.

From the sound of it, I would suggest you go with the best condition machine you can find in your price range, that has a willing and supporting dealer and parts network close by. Preferabally buying from the dealer that you will be getting support from.

All the machine's break. It is minimizing that downtime, and getting it going again that is the trick to me, and a key part of that is being able to lay hands on the Parts, Tools, and People to give you a hand when needed.

Hope you find one that works for you.

/ Track loader ASV CAT or Takeauchi #7  
I have an '05 ASV RC-100 & with a 1050hrs the machine still has original tracks. Now I have repaired 1 side a few lugs ripped off & I bought replacement lugs & working fine. i have tried to sell my machine but I have too much in it & nobody wants to give payoff, so I am running full time & making money. I service & repair mine myself. Being a owner & operater you take better care of your machine.
The other day a customer said I would think your machine would have alot more scratches than it does going in the woods like it does. I said yea but I own this one & I pay for it too.
You just have to look around alot & don't settle for first one you come across!

/ Track loader ASV CAT or Takeauchi #8  
I wanted to go ASV but couldn't find a stocking dealer within 200 miles of me so I called ASV and asked for some assistance. There attitude help me decide and get a CAT.
I called CAT and they were all over me like a cheap suite, had a demo delivered to my job site and their attitude was amazing.I signed that day.

Thy clinched it even more when I called for an oil change. They sent a 250K fluids truck to me with all the fluids and filters and I was back running in a couple of hours. With ASV I would have to haul my rig two hours back and forth.

Since CAT has the ASV track and CAT service I got the best of both worlds.

Here it is lifting WAY MORE than speced.

tree2.jpg

/ Track loader ASV CAT or Takeauchi #9  
You might want to call Cat and get that track tightened.

jmf

I wanted to go ASV but couldn't find a stocking dealer within 200 miles of me so I called ASV and asked for some assistance. There attitude help me decide and get a CAT.
I called CAT and they were all over me like a cheap suite, had a demo delivered to my job site and their attitude was amazing.I signed that day.

Thy clinched it even more when I called for an oil change. They sent a 250K fluids truck to me with all the fluids and filters and I was back running in a couple of hours. With ASV I would have to haul my rig two hours back and forth.

Since CAT has the ASV track and CAT service I got the best of both worlds.

Here it is lifting WAY MORE than speced.

tree2.jpg

/ Track loader ASV CAT or Takeauchi #10  
JMF- that was the first thing I noticed when I looked at that photos also...got to "Do the tighten up..."