Cat skid door- glass/poly

/ Cat skid door- glass/poly #1  

Terra Firma Scott

Silver Member
Tractor
Cat 257 B High Flow
Has anyone ever had to "reinstall" the front poly door glass...it is designed to come out for emergency purpose if you need to exit the cab and the door wont open...kinda like a rip cord you pull and the seal gives away so the glass comes loose...I for the life of me cannot get the glass back in the door frame.......

any suggestions?

/ Cat skid door- glass/poly #2  
Um, so, how did it come out? :rolleyes:

/ Cat skid door- glass/poly #3  
It took me about two hours. First you got get the bloody glass back in the molding and in to the door frame. you can install the bead using five hands (two install the glass and three to hold the molding) They make a tool that spreads open the trim so you can put the retaining bead in to the molding. The plexy glass is more forgiving then real glass so at least you got that on your side. When I was doing it it was 98 * I as so used my complete libray of four letter words twice. I had to pull the "rip cord after a tree limb went through the grab handle on the front of the cab and I could not get the door open. Oh dish soup helps and refrain from screw drivers. Tools are plastic for prying on the glass. There is a learning curve.

/ Cat skid door- glass/poly #4  
Oh dish soup helps and refrain from screw drivers. Tools are plastic for prying on the glass. There is a learning curve.

Not my favorite soup!

Bobcat has the same issues. It sucks. the new CAT has the easiest emergency exit I've seen lately.

/ Cat skid door- glass/poly
Ok-Thanx for the replies....I took the door off and laid it on 2 saw horses.
Put the seal on the ploy/glass first. Set the seal and glass on the door face and reached under the saw horses to pull the lip under the glass opening edge.Flipped the door assembly over.Then installed the rip cord into the seal...Its a V shaped locking wedge that spreads the backside of the seal and tightens the whole thing into the door.....Not bad in a shop environment but not something i wanna do in the field...

CGS- youve been there too-It took me 2 hours.....

/ Cat skid door- glass/poly #6  
Not sure if it is the same or not, but for installing car windows we used to put a piece of rope in the gasket grove for the window.

Then put the window on top of that. As you pull the rope, it pulls the gasket up, and lets you push the window in. I have never done a door like you are talking about... But if I had to I would try this method.

/ Cat skid door- glass/poly #8  
If it is a H seal , wd40 will definately help in the install, also make sure you have the bigger ( deeper) grove on the plexi side, Small roller will help putting the lock seal back in ( part with ring)

/ Cat skid door- glass/poly
Well, youd think i learned the first time around-

popped the glass/poly out AGAIN today......I need to stop trying to grind 18" stumps.....i know better-just keep going back for more....Im mulching 4 acres for a guy who had a logger come in with a big ol hydro ax with a tree shear on the front....What a mess they left-Im trying to dodge the stumps but....when i hit one to fast,it stalls the drum and shakes the whole machine to death so hard the front glass pops out!!!

Im done with the stumps-no more for me..machine aint made for that.......

and the glass is back in.....

/ Cat skid door- glass/poly #10  
Scott:

Mine used to come out on a regular basis. The molding gets weaker every time you have to put it back in and finally stops holding all together. I took it to a glass shop and they used some strong adheasive. Problem with that was that it would not release in an emergency.

That tractor, a Cat 268-B, caught on fire in November and burned quickly due to a ruptured Hyd. line. Lucky for me my angel was watching and I was able to lower the mulcher and get out before the engine stopped running due to a burned wiring harness. I danced with joy when the salvage company hauled it away Friday.

Lesson learned: Repair the window yourself and live.