questions on skid steer asv 4810

/ questions on skid steer asv 4810 #1  

kmunsell

Great Forum!
I may not be your usual type poster here but really think this is the place to hopefully get some answers. ya'll seem to know alot about different equipemtn for land management. we have a 163 acre developement that we are trying to slowly develop, pretty rough land, half heavily wooded and very dense brush. after much researching, we decided the most versatile if we wanted to own some equipment would be the skid steer.
Found a used ASV 4810, open operator with over 2000 hrs on it but real cheap, $13200 delivered. Any thoughts on this? needs tracks and probably other maintenance things that I don't know about, also has a couple of welds on the bucket and the arms. is this something to even consider. We want to clear some land, push some dirt around etc. figure we need a brush cutter (not the mulcher-sounds too costly to run for our purpose), and a blade for pushing dirt as well (want to shape a couple of ponds).

appreciate any advice, info you all can give. we also know we need a tractor eventually to mow the pasture part. but for now need the versatility of the skid steer to do other things.

thanks
K

/ questions on skid steer asv 4810 #2  
The first thing that jumps out at me is the open cab and brush cutting...that's a bad combination. Even rotary type mowers throw chunks and the dust and pollen is tough too. Even moving logs and brush you'll be better protecter with a full cab.

Tracks are in the 6K range so add that in and a lot of us have had issues with the rollers and idler bearing. I have a RC100 with 1775 hours and it has become a money pit. I mulch and land clear full time with it and if it had just been a dirt machine maybe it would be in better shape.

Good luck.

/ questions on skid steer asv 4810 #3  
I owned a 4810 for 2 yrs. If you are only pushing dirt, maybee anything else and I would say stay well clear of it. Do not attempt to run a rotary or mulching head on it, you will only regret it. Many other better choices out there for the same or a little more money. my 02

/ questions on skid steer asv 4810 #4  
I tried mulching, mowing and moving dirt with a 4810 for a year before moving up to an RC100. Not enough power, bogey wheel oil leaks and steering levers are a PIA. Joystick controls are much easier on your wrists compared to the levers. Unless it's really cheap, maybe $5 to $8K, keep looking.

/ questions on skid steer asv 4810 #5  
I just sold my 2001 4810 with 2400 hrs, one 100% track and one 70%track, 2 buckets, forks and a grapple for $12,500. had an enclosed cab. New owner loves it. calls it Wall-e

I didn't mind the two track levers - the skills came in handy when I was driving a groomer last winter at the local ski hill-

this was actually my second 4810. sold first one with 2000 + hrs. Mostly ran gyro trac and Fecon heads and did backyard logging with them. Had a real love-hate realationship with the machine...when I wasn't fixing the tracks, the thing was amazing...my .02 worth

TMTS

/ questions on skid steer asv 4810 #6  
any hydro part you can break on the 4810 you can get for quarter of the cost at motion industries, this machine came before the 100 series and was cheaper to repair. 4810 has less ground pressure than the 100 and more hp. If you buy this machine there are a lot of tricks to running it, take the temp,,all you do if you have a problem with heat is to pull the muffler out of the engine conpartment and wrap the exaust pipe with insul wrap then fix the muffler out side.......it is a fine machine for the money

/ questions on skid steer asv 4810 #7  
A picture for the curious.

Attachments

• 78585352.jpg
    78585352.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 5,253