weeds and thorn bushes removal

/ weeds and thorn bushes removal #1  

jack wesley

Tractor
2010 Gator XUV 620i 4x4
We would appreciate some help with saving grasses while getting rid of weeds and thorn bushes. We are looking for a good cost effective solution for a dormant 3 acre pasture. It has not been used for about 8 years and we have just replaced the old fencing and brush mowed the field. The weeds and aggressive thorn bushes are popping up again out of the snow after only a few weeks. Is hand spraying with round-up the only solution?
Any help will be much appreciated.
Eastern Pennsylvania, eileen

/ weeds and thorn bushes removal #2  
The easiest solution is to keep mowing them. The grass will tolerate this but the brush will not. I'm surprised that they're growing this time of year. 2-4-D is a broadleaf herbicide that will not kill the grass. It MAY be effective. If not, Roundup applied with a brush or sponge may also be effective for spot treating.
Good luck
Mike

/ weeds and thorn bushes removal #3  
A tow behind weed wick wiper is a good way to kill the weeds and not the grass . You will need to let them grow to about a foot or so tall before the application , Google wick wipers .

/ weeds and thorn bushes removal #4  
Like Mike said...continual mowing at least twice a year. Save the spray for where you can't mow. :)

/ weeds and thorn bushes removal #5  
I did a three acre pasture the way Mike suggested. I brush hogged it and then let the weeds come back up a bit. Then I rented a small boom sprayer and sprayed it with 2-4D. I only had to spray it once. Mowing took care of it after that for the many years we were there. As with any chemical read the label on 2-4D. You may not like what it says.

/ weeds and thorn bushes removal #6  
2 Options:

Burn it when the time comes for the field to be dry. The grass will survive and the weeds and weed seeds will go bye-bye. Thorn bushes don't burn very well though.

Bale it and then burn it. Do a very early cut and bale with haying equipment. Set the mower down on the ground and rake it close. Thorns are no match for a sickle mower. Find a use for the bales (Maybe make a house out of them). Or burn them. Many animals like a diet of weeds and thorn apple. Send them to your vegan friends...:D

/ weeds and thorn bushes removal
thanks everyone, I will have my Husband mow it again and than some more. I would prefer to not use the chemicals. eileen

/ weeds and thorn bushes removal #8  
You didn't say what kind of thorny bushes you have, but I'm guessing it's multifloral rose, the scourge of the northeast part of the USA. Introduced by the all knowing gubment in the early 20th century as a "natural" fence, the crap grows all over, spreads all over, and is miserable to get rid of. Constant mowing will work, but ripping the stuff out of the ground if at all possible is quicker.

/ weeds and thorn bushes removal #9  
I had to restore the hay fields on my property. Bush hog for two years, then about 6 weeks after the 1st hay crop had a broad leaf herbicide applied by a professional (local co-op with a fancy big wheeled spraying machine). So so far I'm close to what everyone else has recommend.

The other thing I've done is each year I have the fields fertilized. So the grass is very healthy and this helps keep weed growth down. So now between the normal hay cutting and fertilizing, things are OK.

I just got a sickle bar this year, and will use it to close cut problem areas that develop just after the hay is taken up. BTW, a "real" farmer does the hay cutting and baling, I just try to maintain the boarders of the fields and other areas.

So, healthy grasses help keep weeds away. Mowing keeps them away. I know you don't want chemicals, but it was a one time event and it really helped. Good luck!

Pete

/ weeds and thorn bushes removal #10  
Use crossbow its 2 4 D brush killer wont hurt grass works real good on multiflora rose. Or get some goats those are the best remedies I can offer that works the best.