vines and saplings

/ vines and saplings #1  

OK creekbottom

Tractor
Mustang 2109
I need to control (and then maintain as grazing) several hundred acres of creek bottom that are currently overgrown primarily with thorny vines and saplings. Density of vines varies from you can walk thru it with some pain to impassable except by hogs. Biggest trees i would want to remove would be 6in dia., but majority are under 3in. Rocks are not an issue.

I have a Mustang 2109 and am interested in buying a cutter/mulcher for this work.

I would appreciate equipment recommendations/thoughts/commentary.

Thanks.

/ vines and saplings #2  
if you have cab and air, lexan, and high flow, you could get a mulcher head with knives if you have no rock or carbide teeth. I now use the CAT/FAE head but have also used with success the bradco/magnum and tushhogg. I like them in that order. if you want to mow it more often or have a lot of weeds an grass, a strong rotary would do the trick especially if the 6" trees are few.

/ vines and saplings #3  
I would buy a grapple rake with a full length top clamp for your machine and clear the area of large plants , saplings and fallen timber with it . It is then an easy matter to mow the area with a rotary mower or flail mower . I use a 4x4 tractor in this way but you can do the same with your Mustang .