Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rotary cutters

Any body had any experience with the galvanized 'Bushmaster' rotary cutters from "Onlineattachments.com"? Any comments, good, bad or otherwise?

Tractor
    Case 885, JD 730D, Ford 4000

Default Re: Rotary cutters

Most rotary cutters that see moderate to heavy use will need welding somewhere on the deck soner or later, especially R/C's mounted on a SSL. Welding galvanized steel emits poisonous gasses and is not recommended without specialized personal safety equipment. Given proper equipment storage, rust-through is not a problem for machines built of heavy gauge steel, and rust protection is the primary advantage of the galvanizing proces.

Bottom line, I think a galvanized rotary cutter is a gimmick and a distinct disadvantage that I would actively avoid.
    We have too much gun control.
    What we need is more idiot control.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Zetor 3011, Zetor 5718

Drink milk after welding galvanised, or zinc based paints. It takes up the zinc and drains it off with your urine. You can get pretty sick of zinc vapours but when cleaning it with an angle grinder before welding (which you need to do to get decent welds anyways) it isnt so bad.
    Welding paint is just as bad for your lungs.
    Free scrap is a good investment !!!
    “The worst enemy of life, freedom and the common decencies is total anarchy; their second worst enemy is total efficiency” · Aldous Huxley
    2007 Volvo 440 1.9 TD based dirt buggy, needs time !

Tractor
    Case 885, JD 730D, Ford 4000

Quote Originally Posted by Renze View Post
    Drink milk after welding galvanised, or zinc based paints. It takes up the zinc and drains it off with your urine. You can get pretty sick of zinc vapours but when cleaning it with an angle grinder before welding (which you need to do to get decent welds anyways) it isnt so bad.
    Welding paint is just as bad for your lungs.
    I drink milk every day, but I'm not about to start breathing zinc fumes anytime soon. If you have such high standards about grinding galvanized surfaces, why are you welding painted ones? All of that crap is no good for anyone.
    We have too much gun control.
    What we need is more idiot control.

Gold Member

I have found the Davco rotary deck the most dependable/industrial out of the rotary cutters on the market. I think it is made by a company that specializes in forestry equipment in Canada. I have the 5' low flow model and it is by the far the best I've ever used or sold in the past.

Silver Member WestshoreConstruction's Avatar

I second that, I have a Davco 705HS (70" high flow) and other than blades I have had 0 problems with it.. With a few thousand hrs on it now it will need a new disc in the future but so far so good. They are not made to grind trees, but brush. If you stick to 4" less material u will be golden. They cut fast too.
    Mulchers 100-600 Hp, Dozers, Excavators, Trucks, and a bunch of other stuff that cost me money every day.

What I'm looking for is a cutter for a PT 30. The only options I can find are:

1) the galvanized 48" Bushmaster
    2) the 48" 4800LF Brush Wolf
    3) Davco 48" model 472

I want a 48" and the 10 gmp of the PT 30 are limits.

The only reviews I've had are on the Davco and it was reported to cut good but "threw pieces up to 200 yards". Maybe exageration, but I figure with the open front it might have a tendency to throw things around more than the other two which are semi closed in front (chain).

Any rate, I would greatly appreciate any thoughts.

Silver Member WestshoreConstruction's Avatar

A PT30 aint gonna throw nothing 200 yards. You will be hard pressed to cut anything over 1" with that little guy, save your money and buy a bigger machine or a walk behind brush cutter. Im not trying to be a smart azz those are just the facts.
    Mulchers 100-600 Hp, Dozers, Excavators, Trucks, and a bunch of other stuff that cost me money every day.

Tractor
    Kioti CK30HST

The risks of welding on zinc are greatly exaggerated. Wive's tale stuff really. You're never supposed to inhale the welding fumes nomatter the coating and you will always be able to find a document that supports this. If you actually look you can find that zinc welding is just as dangerous as anything. Plenty of welding gets done on galvanized steel.
    Kioti CK30HST, FEL w/toothbar, 60" RC, 60" BB, PJ 10k trailer. Weekend warrior hauling 50 miles each way.

JCB

Quote Originally Posted by Highbeam View Post
    The risks of welding on zinc are greatly exaggerated. Wive's tale stuff really. You're never supposed to inhale the welding fumes nomatter the coating and you will always be able to find a document that supports this. If you actually look you can find that zinc welding is just as dangerous as anything. Plenty of welding gets done on galvanized steel.
    Highbeam,

I did a quick google search of what seemed like reputable sources and you may be on to something. It's probably best to stress the 'never supposed to inhale any welding fumes" part, and while I did read that galvanized does increase the "Volume" of fumes I won't actively avoid welding galvanized. I'll be satisfied with just being conscientious and taking a little extra precaution.

Thanks,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast