Thoughts on acre pricing?

/ Thoughts on acre pricing? #1  
I'm currently bidding on a job consisting of thinning out scrub pine up to eight inches, Sage brush, and grease brush. It's about medium density most, is under three inches. Dry ground with medium amount of rocks. Using a pt 100 forestry, and two cat 277c with davcos. The job is approx. 1000 acres. Any ideas on what some of you with years of experiance would charge per acre for something like this. All slash has to be mulched down to within 6 inches of ground surface. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

/ Thoughts on acre pricing? #2  
Lone Wolf,
I too, have been interrested in the price per acre. I understand a lot depends on the thickness of material to be cleared but, some kind of idea would be helpful. Also, how to bid for ROW work would be nice to know. I have a few contacts with the pipeline companies here in Okla. I would like to know more about this as well. I am ready to start finding jobs and getting them lined up and see if I can find enough work before I put any money into this business.

Fagan 13

/ Thoughts on acre pricing? #3  
I would really rather not get into the dollar amount for this work. The reason being jobs going by the acre here in the southeast there has been way to much cut throating. I hope by not openly discussing the pricing it will help maintain the integretity of pricing for the guys currently doing this work and the guys here wanting some of it. I would encourage you to either go talk with your counterparts in another state or use some local contacts. Please don't take this the wrong way but you need to charge as much as possible while staying competitive. This machinery to too expensive and work too demanding to work for minimum wage. Maybe even try subbing to another mulcher, who knows what will work.
Now I do know a good bit about this work and these things I will share. When you bid for a stretch it is a set length. Say 5 miles, they will run surveyors ahead and you have stakes that you have to clear inside of. Now there is anything and everything in that run. From open pasture to a 100 yr old oak tree with a 30+" base. It all has to go. And it isn't all flat either, hills so steep you can't walk up them , you climb. Many, many factors and the jobs I've seen lately you have about 2-3 days to stay ahead of the pipe layers. If you go down they will catch you and everyone on the job is waiting and watching you. I would like to stay way out in front and keep the heat off. The material has to be mulched pretty good and flush with the ground, they expect to be able drive pickups on the new "road" behind the mulchers.
And the last thing is they price by the linear foot. The wider the higher the price. Good luck. The largest factor I have seen in this business is machinery down time. Unfortunately the guy with the most tractors usually comes out smelling like a rose on these jobs.