What would you do with 100,000.00 mulch it?

/ What would you do with 100,000.00 mulch it? #1  

necontractors

Tractor
Case backhoe/dump truck/mini-x case & volvo/case skid steer
Hi i have been reading the posts for a while now and finaly need advice, I have been thinning by hand for years now and have dicided to buy a mulcher. I currently have two jobs that i need to start one 500 acres medow restoration of PG, and 100 acres select cut of pine 4 to 8 in. I have around 100,000.00 to spend and want to spend it on the right equipment so i need advice before I purchace something. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Sean Medrano

/ What would you do with 100,000.00 mulch it? #2  
Look at asv pt 100 forestry machine and look at denis cemif head or if your in rocky conditions look at magnum cutter with rock teeth. Then buy the biggest leaf blower they make and blow machine out 2 times a day . Buy extended warrenty its well worth money

/ What would you do with 100,000.00 mulch it? #3  
Look at asv pt 100 forestry machine and look at denis cemif head or if your in rocky conditions look at magnum cutter with rock teeth. Then buy the biggest leaf blower they make and blow machine out 2 times a day . Buy extended warrenty its well worth money

OK I fail to see the logic in your advice. Mainly in the leaf blower and extended warranty.

I am of the opinion that you buy a machine that is BUILT for the PURPOSE of MULCHING. If you get the right machine you do not need an extended warranty. If you get a machine that is built for mulching you will have enough cooling capacity to work all day and you can just blow out when you get back to the truck at the end of the day. When you are working on a 500 acre job you can be up to a mile or two away from the truck. These machines do not exactly burn up the mountainside when you have to go back in the middle of the day to blow out a couple of times. You will make twice the money if you get the right machine and you will spend twice the money if you get the wrong one. Tons of guys on this site have gone down the ASV road and almost as many have wished they had gotten a real forestry machine to start with. Where he will be working is a very dry dusty place and at some pretty high altitudes as well, an ASV will not have a prayer working out in NM. Everyone who knows me also knows that I have been running out in NM for right at three years now. The rocks are brutal, the dust is crazy and the high altitudes and almost no humidity for most of the year make it a very tough environment for a mulcher.

/ What would you do with 100,000.00 mulch it? #4  
There are a lot of repo machines on the market right now. They can be bought right!! 2007 Fecon FTX 140 in the neighborhood of $80k. This is a machine with less than 1000 hours. Make your money go as far as you can. Don't let the logistics of moving a larger machine pressure you into purchasing a small machine.

/ What would you do with 100,000.00 mulch it? #5  
GET A USED TIGERCAT. HYDRO AX WHEEL MACHINE. LOWEST COST PER HOUR

/ What would you do with 100,000.00 mulch it? #6  
OK I fail to see the logic in your advice. Mainly in the leaf blower and extended warranty.

I am of the opinion that you buy a machine that is BUILT for the PURPOSE of MULCHING. If you get the right machine you do not need an extended warranty. If you get a machine that is built for mulching you will have enough cooling capacity to work all day and you can just blow out when you get back to the truck at the end of the day. When you are working on a 500 acre job you can be up to a mile or two away from the truck. These machines do not exactly burn up the mountainside when you have to go back in the middle of the day to blow out a couple of times. You will make twice the money if you get the right machine and you will spend twice the money if you get the wrong one. Tons of guys on this site have gone down the ASV road and almost as many have wished they had gotten a real forestry machine to start with. Where he will be working is a very dry dusty place and at some pretty high altitudes as well, an ASV will not have a prayer working out in NM. Everyone who knows me also knows that I have been running out in NM for right at three years now. The rocks are brutal, the dust is crazy and the high altitudes and almost no humidity for most of the year make it a very tough environment for a mulcher.

It takes a loooooong time to recover from making the wrong decision when buying equipment in this biz.

/ What would you do with 100,000.00 mulch it?
I think i understand now the asv is non dedicated machine, I here alot about it. but some times the more you here about a machine the worse it could be, you would think with all the improvements on it you would't have to blow it, hence the reversing fan. or walking back miles to the truck not what i have in mind. I don't mind a dedicated machine but just wish i could do more for the price, like a dozer blade or some thing like that. but i would not know if it works here because i dont know that anyone here in NM has one. at least the PT-100 with forestry pack.

/ What would you do with 100,000.00 mulch it? #8  
It doesnt matter if you get a dedicated forestry mulcher or a skid steer with a cutter you will have problems. Dedicated machines you cant get extended warrenties they know the environment its put in. Skid steer mfg still dont really know still. Look at the rubber tire mulchers you might find a good used one in the price range your looking for.
good luck

/ What would you do with 100,000.00 mulch it? #9  
With either of my dedicated mulchers I don't really think that I need the extended warranty. If you are suggesting that a skid steer will not have any more problems than my FTX 148-L or my FTX 140-FM than you are badly mistaken! I will not even bring up the fact that my machines will run circles around ANY skid steer with any head. My machines will spend 25-50 percent more time in the woods than an ASV. I can run 12 hours before I need any service. At the end of the day all I have to do is blow out and grease. All machines need a lot of daily TLC but my. 10 ton machines will not break down even 1/4 as much as a skid.

/ What would you do with 100,000.00 mulch it? #10  
what kind of growth is on the 500 acres? hardwoods? brush? pine? this will need to be taken into account when purchasing the machine. A PT-100 would be Ideal, but the COMPLETE forestry package may be more than you need... it's about 88k for a complete PT-100 with the full package. (tax exempt of course:laughing:)