Pulling Trees and Saplings

/ Pulling Trees and Saplings #1  

SandburRanch

Veteran Member
Tractor
NHtd75
In this thread I'll attempt to tell how I pull multiple trees to avoid mounting and dismounting the tractor each time a tree is pulled. I use only 1/4" grade 70 chain because of the advantages discussed in other posts.

First, and not shown in the pics, the tree is cut leaving a suitable stump. This does not have to be done but it makes about 10 times less chain work.

The first pic shows the beginnings of the knot I use. This a clove hitch and can be done in different ways. I make it by throwing a counter clockwise loop "A" followed by "B" using the same procedure. Then loop A is picked up (use 2 hands while learning):Dand placed on top of loop B. After that is accomplished the two loops are dropped down over the stump. This is a simplified way and after one does this a few times he/she can prepare this knot in his/her hands while walking to the next tree. I've even done it while chewing bubble gum and walking. This first pic is a short (3-4 ft. etc.) chain with one hook only and as many of these can be used as necessary or as long as your main chain from the drawbar/clevis is. Each of these will be hooked to that main stringer chain that's attached to the drawbar/clevis.

Another option is to use only the main stringer chain dropping a clove hitch over each stump you have until the chain is all used. Pic far right. The clove hitch can be tied to a standing tree using the scout book method but that's where you'll find it is 10 times more work than the two loop and stump method.

I have marked the trees that are subject to removal and all of those would be pulled with one engagement of the clutch. Now if I could get a young kid to be my chain swamper I wouldn't even need to dis-mount the tractor at all.

This may give someone some ideas and you can use your imagination from there.

BTW- the clove hitch really isn't a knot. When the two loops are wiggled a bit to loosen and lifted from the stump the so called knot just falls apart. Or if you like, hold it together and place it over the next stump.

NOTE: A little knot practice with a rope sometimes helps those non-knot tying people. You'll discover the knot can be tied anywhere in the length using the two loop method and you never touch the ends. This is what makes it so much faster and less labor intensive.

Attachments

• MVC-001F.JPG
    MVC-001F.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 852
  • MVC-002F.JPG
    MVC-002F.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 876
  • MVC-003F.JPG
    MVC-003F.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 550
   / Pulling Trees and Saplings #2  
Good knot to know.
Now, what do you pull the multiple stumps with?
And some action pics please. I visualize you hooking to all the small trees in the pic after you cut and remove them, leaving just the stumps. :) Would take a long chain.

/ Pulling Trees and Saplings #3  
I have marked the trees that are subject to removal and all of those would be pulled with one engagement of the clutch.

I'm pretty sure that one in the middle could stop my 32 hp in it's tracks, or at least cause me to dig holes with the wheels. What are you pulling these with?

/ Pulling Trees and Saplings
Good knot to know.
Now, what do you pull the multiple stumps with?
And some action pics please. I visualize you hooking to all the small trees in the pic after you cut and remove them, leaving just the stumps. :) Would take a long chain.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I didn't explain very well. I'm pulling the stumps after the trees are cut off. In this example, if using short chains on each stump a 20ft. chain with a 10 footer added will reach all five stumps marked.

/ Pulling Trees and Saplings
I'm pretty sure that one in the middle could stop my 32 hp in it's tracks, or at least cause me to dig holes with the wheels. What are you pulling these with?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't remember the number of the tractor exactly but it's about 70 hp. A 6 inch walnut, in sandy soil, with a 7 ft. tap root tested it pretty good one day and an 8 inch was too much until the angle of draft was changed about 20 degrees and then it slipped right out. The tree in question wouldn't require 4x4. The thing about hooking the chains this way there is usually never but one tree being pulled at a time.

Attachments

• Box Blade 6-27-10.jpg
    Box Blade 6-27-10.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 360
Last edited: