Picking a Skid Steer/ CTL Mulcher

/ Picking a Skid Steer/ CTL Mulcher #11  
actually tidewater is discounting the ones they have so you could get on with a mulcher for around 100 about 85 without

I googled their website...holy crap!!!! They have four 2007 6125s and they're advertised for $145k+ with a Magnum head. They must have been real proud of them to hang on to those machines for this long (2007s)...three years old is a long time to have something in inventory. Will cummins even warrant those engines anymore?

I know Bobcat would have gone nuts if my dealership would have sold a three year old machine and asked for warranty.

Isn't Magnum now owned by Bradco? I heard that their mulcher was pretty decent.

/ Picking a Skid Steer/ CTL Mulcher
Thanks for the replies. Please keep up the good info.

There is a 08 Bobcat T320 with 1700 hrs, bobcat head (don't know if its a 48 or 60) plus a bucket, grapple bucket, 20+5 dovetail trailer, toolboxes and air compressor for $53,000. Whatcha think?

Also, for you guys with skid steer mulchers how important is having positive pressure cab over plain old ac & heat?

You are right Digdeep about the Lamtrack. My 148L is beefier and much closer to a SS/CTL with the loader arms than the Lam.

Thanks

/ Picking a Skid Steer/ CTL Mulcher #13  
I think new is better no matter what model you select, reason is I think all makers have learned some lessons over the last 3-5 years.

Next you should buy by service more than anything else.

I wanted a ASV before they were TEREX and got some of the worst help BEFORE i even purchased the unit so that told me a lot.

I called CAT and the salesman came out to me the next day and offered to drop a unit off for me to play with. Also offered free pick up and delivery every time I needed service - and these people were 75 miles away. Next they had a HUGE service truck that goes to customers. This rig is filled with fluids, filters etc. They come out go through my machine right on site. Gotta love that.

I have the non pressurized can and it does ok when I'm in a cloud of dust, which I am most of the time, pressurized would be nice.

I know I've put my CAT through heck in the Desert where the temps get up over 125 during the summer and the CAT doesn't skip a beat. She pulls like a mule and lifts like an Elephant.

Yep service is almost more important than the brand some times.

/ Picking a Skid Steer/ CTL Mulcher #14  
I think new is better no matter what model you select, reason is I think all makers have learned some lessons over the last 3-5 years.

Next you should buy by service more than anything else.

I wanted a ASV before they were TEREX and got some of the worst help BEFORE i even purchased the unit so that told me a lot.

I called CAT and the salesman came out to me the next day and offered to drop a unit off for me to play with. Also offered free pick up and delivery every time I needed service - and these people were 75 miles away. Next they had a HUGE service truck that goes to customers. This rig is filled with fluids, filters etc. They come out go through my machine right on site. Gotta love that.

Yep service is almost more important than the brand some times.

Excellent point about service and support.

However, I think it is very important not to label an OEM as having poor support since so much of this is dependant on the local dealer. For instance, my local CAT dealer sucks for support on compact equipment, but your local dealer is excellent. Ironically, I can go to my Terex dealer who sells Case and get great service support, but the sales guys are average.

I guess CAT would offer mediocre service and support based on our two experiences. Remember that all dealers regardless of brand are independant dealers, and you need to visit and ask questions to see if they fit your needs.

/ Picking a Skid Steer/ CTL Mulcher #15  
I run a Fecon FTX 148L out of Houston. I am considering adding a CTL to take advantage of their versatility and primarily to run a heavy duty hydraulic brush mower. However I would like to pick a machine that can run a mulching head as well. I assume a CTL that can run a mulching head should be plenty competant with the brush cutter/auger/blade etc.

I need to go used but want a late model machine. Anyone have any suggestions as to make, model and year?

Merry Christmas and have a great New Year!

-----you may want to think about a Fecon FTX90L (loader arme) with a RELIABLE Yanmar engine..i have one available, I also have a Fecon BH74SS mulcher for a skid steer--please call 513-284-8990 thanks Jim

/ Picking a Skid Steer/ CTL Mulcher #16  
I bought a Takeuchi TL250 high flow last year...it was everything I was told to expect, and then some. The only thing I changed from the original configuration was the high flow quick couplers and went to the flare nut fittings, because running the mulching head ended up making the quick couplings leak. I also bought a TL230 series II at the same time. 3 year/3000 hour warranty was standard and nobody else would touch the price or warranty. I have to admit that I like the front glass and down angle visibility on the Bobcat over the Takeuchi, but the operator space in the Bobcat felt cramped and tiny when compared to Takeuchi. I will admit that the interior of the Bobcat was fancier since it looked more like what you'd find in a car rather than in a piece of equipment.

/ Picking a Skid Steer/ CTL Mulcher #17  
Service is a key. We wanted to buy a CAT CTL. Went by the dealership and asked to talked to someone. They gave me his phone number. I called and gave him the specifics of what I wanted. CTL, mulcher, bucket, etc. He emailed over a quote and said let him know if he could be of any further help. Also went to Bobcat just to compare. Salesman was there, helpful and gave us all of the pricing on the spot. Introduced us to parts, services managers. We left to think about it. 2 days later, bobcat called back and said he had located a machine similiar to what we wanted and transferred it and a mulcher to his location. He said to come get it and try it out. After the demo they all met with us to go over any concerns/questions. We have gotten that kind of service ever since from parts, services, etc. The CAT salesman still hasn't followed up.

This is just my local situation. Visit your dealers and scrutinize their service before the sale. The service you get when they are trying to sell you something is the best you will see. If it sucks then, it will really suck when you are broke down.

/ Picking a Skid Steer/ CTL Mulcher #18  
If i cant see the sales man when i need to do business, then an email is just throwing gas on my fire! I want to see him face to face and se who really appreciates the money more. I have delt with Blanchard for a while and the other day went to a store that i never went to before and they were right on the job. Its not right that others cant be like that. When u get better service from walmart than your local dealer, its time to leave!

/ Picking a Skid Steer/ CTL Mulcher
WGTactical... good to hear you like the TL250. I am looking at a 2009 Tak TL250 with 370 hours, 1 yr left on warranty, aux hyd cooler, enclosed cab with ac & heat, 6 foot extreme duty hyd brush hog, grapple bucket and bucket.

Whats this package worth?

Thanks!

/ Picking a Skid Steer/ CTL Mulcher #20  
Great question DIGDEEP, my bad for not being clearer.
The 6125 has optional "high lift kit". That is basically loader arm kit that will bring your front attachment to almost 7 feet in height. That way the machine can be used for other applications but mulching. I can certainly get you pictures or specs of that if you are curious.

Thanks!