Picking a Skid Steer/ CTL Mulcher

/ Picking a Skid Steer/ CTL Mulcher #1  

BLCMulcher

Tractor
Fecon FTX 148L
I run a Fecon FTX 148L out of Houston. I am considering adding a CTL to take advantage of their versatility and primarily to run a heavy duty hydraulic brush mower. However I would like to pick a machine that can run a mulching head as well. I assume a CTL that can run a mulching head should be plenty competant with the brush cutter/auger/blade etc.

I need to go used but want a late model machine. Anyone have any suggestions as to make, model and year?

Merry Christmas and have a great New Year!

/ Picking a Skid Steer/ CTL Mulcher #2  
We have been satisfied with our Bobcat T320. We use it to run a black fecon head and high flow brush cutter, as well as all of the normal attachments. It would be a nice complement to your 148 and you could do small, residential jobs with the rubber tracks.

Any CTL used to run a mulcher full time will have issues. In the stock configuration, we had to clean the radiator 2 times/day in hot weather. I have made improvements, added a flip up oil cooler for easy cleaning, and a rear cover to make things easier. One of our local competitors runs CAT CTL's. We see him at the dealer all the time and I have seen 2 of his machines that caught on fire.

/ Picking a Skid Steer/ CTL Mulcher #3  
I have a CAT268b with steel loegering tracks with a full forestry package and it does better than the asv's that i have run in the past and not to mention that the hydraulic horse power is the ame as the asv give or take 1 hp. Yes there are a lot of cats having problems, but most of them dont pay extra for the forestry package and fail to clean and maintain equipment no matter what brand. You should also look at the hydraulic fluid capacity as for more fluid cools faster than less fluid. With that said, stay away from john deere IMO. I like the steel ott tracks b/c when i had the asv's, the tracks wear pretty quick and are expensive. The steel tracks have been on there for 2 years and i have only had 3 problems with tires and that was cause of me driving on top of old pallets and got nails. Its cheaper to replace track bolts ($568) every 2 or 3 years than a set of rubber tracks and idlers. All of this is my opinion. A machine is only as good as the operator allows it to be!

/ Picking a Skid Steer/ CTL Mulcher #4  
Terex/ASV just released a brand new new 100hp CTL set up with a full forestry get-up- standard reversing fan, standard ROPS/FOPS level II (it even meets some type of Canadian logging certification), fire extinguisher, hinged and reinforced belly pans for easy clean out, special hose protection, full forestry limb riser guarding package, metal face seal undercarriage, 15" of ground clearance, 4,000lb ROC, less than 72" wide, full undercarriage suspension, load sensing hydraulics, and 45gpm @ 3,800psi (I haven't run it yet, but based on 310ft lbs of engine torque and that much flow and pressure, nothing will come close hydraulically).

/ Picking a Skid Steer/ CTL Mulcher #5  
How much for this new Terex??????????????????

/ Picking a Skid Steer/ CTL Mulcher #7  
The new terex is around 75000 without the extra waranty i suggest you try to find an older 09 or 09 pt100 f they have been really good for us we have over 2000 hours on both of the ones we have and are just now putting the first set of tracks on them

/ Picking a Skid Steer/ CTL Mulcher #8  
Hi All,

Just have to put my .02 in here, but you should really check out Lamtrac's LTR6125. Skid steer quick attach, reversing fans, confortable cab. This is basically a CTL on steroids, made for forestry but adaptable for buckets, augers, street sweepers...anything. Polyeurathane tracks are available for sensitive ground applications. Food for thought.
And for you that is in Houston area, Texas Timberjack would gladly do a demo for you in a very short delay.

P

/ Picking a Skid Steer/ CTL Mulcher #9  
Hi All,

Just have to put my .02 in here, but you should really check out Lamtrac's LTR6125. Skid steer quick attach, reversing fans, confortable cab. This is basically a CTL on steroids, made for forestry but adaptable for buckets, augers, street sweepers...anything. Polyeurathane tracks are available for sensitive ground applications. Food for thought.
And for you that is in Houston area, Texas Timberjack would gladly do a demo for you in a very short delay.

P

I think it would be a real big stretch to consider the Lamtrac 6125 a "CTL on steroids".

While I have no doubt about its brush cutting ability, I would ask you to explain to me how the machine would load brush into a truck with a grapple, load dirt into a truck with a bucket, unload a flatbed with pallet forks, dig below grade, etc. It has no real loader arms to speak of so I can't see how it comes close to offering increased versatility beyond brushcutting and possibly dozing.

Secondly, what is the MSRP of a 6125? I may be wrong, but I'm assuming that it is quite a bit more than $100k.

/ Picking a Skid Steer/ CTL Mulcher #10  
actually tidewater is discounting the ones they have so you could get on with a mulcher for around 100 about 85 without