PTO 3pt hitch mounted mulcher head

/ PTO 3pt hitch mounted mulcher head #1  

weesa20

Silver Member
Curious if anyone is using a tractor mounted 3ph PTo driven mulcher head like the one offered by Fecon...looking at options for land clearing on a small tree farm it seems that this would be a more efficient option since I could keep the mulcher on the 3ph and run a strong grapple on the front...would also have to buy a tractor but I need to buy somehting anyway and since I won't be doing this full time the tractor seems more verstile than a CTL.

we'll be starting with about 50 acres but need to be selectively managing most of it, relatively flat, dry terrain.

thoughts?

/ PTO 3pt hitch mounted mulcher head #2  
No problem if you like driving with your head facing backwards all day long for days on end.
Believe me,that gets old really fast ;)

/ PTO 3pt hitch mounted mulcher head #3  
Bison is right. Your neck will kill you backing up all day. You can go forward for the detail pass, but for the first pass you will have to go backwards unless the stuff is really small, and if it's that small a bush hog would probably sufice. You can usually come out better contracting the work out.

/ PTO 3pt hitch mounted mulcher head #4  
No problem if you like driving with your head facing backwards all day long for days on end.
Believe me,that gets old really fast ;)

A number of manufacturers have reversable operators stations as an option: Fendt, Massey Ferguson, Valtra, Steyr and probably more.

/ PTO 3pt hitch mounted mulcher head #5  
Antonio Carraro and New Holland makes one too.

I looked in to a Valtra a few years back but decided it wasn't for me. My terrain wouldn't allow the use of a tractor....sometimes steep and sometimes wet.

/ PTO 3pt hitch mounted mulcher head #6  
I have some pasture hillsides that I have to mow backing down. I've ended up with a stiff neck that lasted for two weeks :(

Ken

/ PTO 3pt hitch mounted mulcher head #7  
Locally the government highway mulcher guys run a pair of NH versitiles set up with a Seppi head and aux hydraulic power pack. Fully armored and forestry tires.

Seems to work good for them. I like the Versitile tractors.:D