Rail mulcher

/ Rail mulcher #1  

Heavyduty

Gold Member
Anyone have specs on this thing?

It has a boom mulcher on each side. I wonder if one person can run both at the same time. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 425
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 312
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    548.6 KB · Views: 303
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    616.1 KB · Views: 285
   / Rail mulcher #2  
i dont have specs on it.i have a shinn head and they are as tuff as they come .most heads need over 250 hp

/ Rail mulcher
I guess this rail mulcher has 500 plus hp then, since it has two mulchers on it. I saw many dents on the cab from hitting rocks, etc.:D

/ Rail mulcher #4  
I have seen that units in picture's before. I even found who I thought made it but can't remember who it was. Since then I have found a few alternative's and I have even "paper" built one in case someone needs such a unit.
You don't need 250 hp if your running the right head/power pack combination. I would love to show you one to prove my point.;)

/ Rail mulcher
I have seen that units in picture's before. I even found who I thought made it but can't remember who it was. Since then I have found a few alternative's and I have even "paper" built one in case someone needs such a unit.
You don't need 250 hp if your running the right head/power pack combination. I would love to show you one to prove my point.;)

Thanks, wish I had a need for a rail mulcher. Talk about a niche machine.

I just like to know what is what, who is who in any kind of ROW business.:cool:

/ Rail mulcher #6  
   / Rail mulcher #7  
Picture this. A wheeled excavator, Cat has one. They make rail boggies that attach to the undercarriage. You drive onto the tracks and when your mulching, for saftey, you put down the outrigger's. Multi-purpose machine and has to be cheaper than that rail car. Could be done with a tracked excavator as well but getting onto the tracks would be a little more difficult. Look at that rail car again. The boom's are straight off an excavator. I would hate to see the build cost on that unit, plus it looks railroad owned and that is bad news for the contractor.

/ Rail mulcher #8  
Robbie you dont need 250 hp on a dc head but most of them doing serious work have power packs 150- 175 hp that i have seen.

/ Rail mulcher
Picture this. A wheeled excavator, Cat has one. They make rail boggies that attach to the undercarriage. You drive onto the tracks and when your mulching, for saftey, you put down the outrigger's. Multi-purpose machine and has to be cheaper than that rail car. Could be done with a tracked excavator as well but getting onto the tracks would be a little more difficult. Look at that rail car again. The boom's are straight off an excavator. I would hate to see the build cost on that unit, plus it looks railroad owned and that is bad news for the contractor.

I like that idea with the rail boggies, a multi-purpose machine would be cheaper/easier to replace also, than rebuilding that dedicated machine in 10 years.

I bet that the rail company bought that machine (500k plus) and didn't even think twice about it. Only us po folks thinks twice when spending $$$$.:D

/ Rail mulcher
Yes, it's a very narrow niche....about 50' wide.....but a very long niche :laughing:

Ken

That would be a good niche contract to have, not many contractors would be willing to put up that much money and having to worry if you are going to keep the contract long enough to pay for the machine. :confused2: