Adventures In Oil Changing

/ Adventures In Oil Changing #1  

cbturf

Gold Member
Tractor
Fecon FTX-140, Fecon FTX 148-L
OK it all started when all three machines and both trucks just happened to need an oil change at the same time so we decided to take a half day and service everything. The Barko was quite simple since it has drain hose on the bottom and a ball valve to open the drain. The 140 sucks because you have to be as skinny as my four year old son with gorilla arms to reach the filter. The 148 is pretty simple, just drop the belly pan and everything else is straight forward. The 6.4L in the F350 is as easy as it gets just pull the plug and the filter is on top of the engine.

THEN LAST BUT NOT LEAST WAS THE 6.7L POWERSTROKE IN THE 550.
It got pretty bad when in the Arizona sun my dad took off his glasses and dove under the dark truck to pull the drain plug. Dad got to go under the truck because I was still working on the 148. He pulled the plug and drained everything in the pan and the took the filter off...what a mess it was almost like the oil pan was still full. He then put a bunch of oil out of a 5 gallon bucket in and pulled the dipstick. It was black as old oil and WAY over full. He thought he must have just misjudged how much he put in and just had to drain some out. So he takes off his glasses and heads back under to drain a little off. He pulled the drain plug and found it to be empty! He slithered out to get a screw driver to stick up there and get whatever was clogging the drain out. That is when I came up and asked what was wrong and he pulled the dipstick to show me the way over full and dirty oil on the dipstick.

I was a little worried and went under to find the drain pan under the TRANSMISSION! Dad had not done any mechanic work in years and just took off his glasses and pulled the first plug he found.

OK I am not a master mechanic myself but I can change oil just fine. I got me my 3/8 inch ratchet to work the fancy 1/4 turn drain plug and nothing happened. I reached up to see what was wrong and the 1 inch plug came out pushed by 6 gallons of warm oil! It came out so fast that it overwhelmed the drain pan and started to overflow. I had no choice but to try and stop the flow so first tried to stick my finger in the hole and it did nothing. The hole is way bigger than my finger then I tried to just stick the plug back in. When I did the oil sprayed everywhere to include my chest and face. I got it back in and had to empty the drain pan. After that all went well. But I had oil all over my arm where it ran down and my face was black and my new Carhartt shirt was soaked in used diesel oil.

The moral of the story is do not let your dad under your truck without his glasses, do not change your own oil in a 6.7L Powerstroke if it has an extra 3 gallons of oil in it and 1/4 turn means your drain plug is loose and waiting for you to touch it before releasing a torrent of used oil all over you and the ground!

/ Adventures In Oil Changing #3  
LOL, OK not funny, but I have been there and done that.

Only my dirtiest oldest and ready for trash shirt is used for that chore.
When I drain my tractor it always pours onto the sub frame and and just goes everywhere in spite of any and all the tricks tried.
My best friend to date is the old turkey roasting pan as it gets most of the spills but no matter how careful I am I always end up with a dyed black shirt sleeve.

/ Adventures In Oil Changing #4  
Well that gave me a laugh for today.

Haven't seen you post in a while. Thought you were lost somewhere in AZ.

/ Adventures In Oil Changing #5  
Sorry about the transmission oil, it probably needed a change? Be aware to remove all used oil from skin and hands carefully. It is hazardous to your health.Check the glovebox for the manual on capacity of oilpans..Be nice to DAD for trying to help... Jy.

/ Adventures In Oil Changing #6  
Too funny! Some days are just like that... roll with it. :laughing:

Cedar

/ Adventures In Oil Changing
Yes the transmission fluid had 25k miles so it was almost time anyway. The main problem is how I slid under there like a master mechanic and made a mess and came out bathed in oil. I was giving him so much crap and laughing at him and when I had a face full of oil he almost had to drag me out by my heels because I had my eyes shut TIGHT. By the time I scurried out he already had the towels ready. I guess I am lucky to have a 66 year old helper who is not just willing but able to slither under a truck and pull any drain plug even if it is the wrong one.

/ Adventures In Oil Changing #8  
Some guys came to take my old excavator to the scrap yard. The main arm was stuck in the up position which was great for moving it and loading it onto a trailer{had to use another ex} but it had to come down for transport. The operator hooked{using the thumb}his bucket onto the arm so it wouldn't slam down when the other guy pulled the plug on the bottom of the cylinder. Well the bucket slipped and down came the arm shooting the plug and oil out like a bullit. Luckily the plug missed the helper but he did get covered by a couple of gal's of hydro fluid.

Seems like it takes a long timedays and many showers} to get that oil out of the skin after one is covered.

/ Adventures In Oil Changing #9  
Great story. Ain't Diesel engine oil the best. Who among us is without that shirt with the weird looking stain down one side. :laughing:

/ Adventures In Oil Changing #10  
. The 140 sucks because you have to be as skinny as my four year old son with gorilla arms to reach the filter. !

A good yarn CB.I know what your'e saying bout the filter on the 140.Mine has been shifted to the top of the fuel tank,best $$$ I've spent on it.
PS Aint got no 4yr old just a busted arse 61yr old who is dam near to fat to fit under it:laughing::laughing: