Becarefull if buying anything with perkins 1104-44t engine

/ Becarefull if buying anything with perkins 1104-44t engine #1  

Heavyduty

Gold Member
I've been hearing of people having engine failures with the perkins 1104-44t engine. I thought yaw would like to know since some of you may have a mulcher mounted on a ASV, etc. or looking to buy one.:thumbsup:

/ Becarefull if buying anything with perkins 1104-44t engine #2  
What kind of problems are they having? That engine is one of the most widely distributed mid size engines in the industry, going in everything from all of CATs backhoes, their telehandlers, some of their ITs, Terex's backhoes, Massy Ferguson tractors, etc. That's a lot of engines.

Last edited:
   / Becarefull if buying anything with perkins 1104-44t engine #4  
Maybe its the operators and not the engine. There are alot of Perkins out there and they are verry strong engines. JMO

/ Becarefull if buying anything with perkins 1104-44t engine
Dang, yaw are quick.:laughing:

I was talking with a local mulcher and he had two perkin's engine failures with his ASV's. I was thinking he didn't change the oil, operator abuse, etc. but I saw this thread.

perkins 1104-44t engine failure - TractorByNet.com

/ Becarefull if buying anything with perkins 1104-44t engine #6  
Dang, yaw are quick.:laughing:

I was talking with a local mulcher and he had two perkin's engine failures with his ASV's. I was thinking he didn't change the oil, operator abuse, etc. but I saw this thread.

perkins 1104-44t engine failure - TractorByNet.com

Yea I just saw that one too. Is it just the ASVs that are having the trouble or is there any other equipment with that engine haveing the same trouble.

Maybe its the operators and not the engine. There are alot of Perkins out there and they are verry strong engines. JMO

Perkins are good engines, I've seen no problems with them in tractors.:thumbsup:

I beleive people are having problems because mulching is very hard on engines in general. The small engine space, the excess heat buildup, dust, running wide open all day, etc. causes a lot of the problems.

I think this is just a small batch of engines having these early failures in ASV's.

/ Becarefull if buying anything with perkins 1104-44t engine #8  
heat is the problem that i have had with them.asv gets the blame for part of that.

heat is the problem that i have had with them.asv gets the blame for part of that.

Yeap, keeping your mulcher running is hard enough without ASV/Perkins having design problems.:D

/ Becarefull if buying anything with perkins 1104-44t engine #10  
I keep my equipment maintained to the extreame. We change oil every 150 hours, change air filters weekly, blow out air filters twice daily and blow the radiator out every 4 hours of operation. My machine is also equipped with a clean fix revesable fan. I am the operator!! and it was not anything we did.It is a defective engine that perkins and asv are aware of and are hoping that the volume of engines of this kind that they produce will mask the problems they are having with a certain batch of bad ones. All well and good unless you are trying to make a living and feed your family using one of the bad ones then it "sucks".