Recommendation on Terex PT100G or Bobcat 870

/ Recommendation on Terex PT100G or Bobcat 870 #1  

masalser

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 5510, Kubota HST 3010, ASV RC100 tracked skidsteer, Bobcat 435 excavator, Howard Price 15' finish mower, Kubota ZD331 mower, Woodmizer LT40 super hydraulic sawmill
There's a thread going on in the newmembers forum about this choice, but I wanted to post over here since there are likely to be many more people knowledgable about these machines here.

Basically the question is about the pros and cons of the new Bobcat machines versus the newest PT100. I look forward to any info you guys can provide to help me make my decision. I would also like to know what kind of price quotes you have gotten on the PT100G - my dealer hasn't gotten back to me yet. My post was as follows:

Alabama Land Clearing, I'm in a roughly similar situation - I've currently got an RC100 with 1100hours on it and shot tracks and boogie wheels and am considering replacing it with either a PT-100G or with either the Bobcat T770 or the T870. I am leaning towards the Bobcat machines since I've had great experiences with the Bobcat dealer (I own a Bobcat excavator) and my experiences with the Terex dealer has been ok but not great. Also, I've experienced many problems with my RC100 over the years.

I was pretty set on going with a Bobcat machine, but I looked at a PT-80 today and really liked the way the track system has been redesigned so that you can really see all of the boogie wheels and their condition and clean it out much better than on my RC100. In looking on the internet just now I realized that the flyer for the PT100 that the dealer gave meis dated December 2008 and is for the older PT-100 that still used the track system like on the RC100. In internet pictures I see that PT-100G actually has the same nice open track system that I saw on the PT-80 today.

I have yet to actually sit in either of the Bobcat machines - my dealer should be getting a couple soon, but I hear that the cabs are really nice on those machines.

What are you finding out in your machine comparison? I've got price quotes on the Bobcat machines for $77k for the T770 and $81.5K for the T870 (both with the nice option package and selectable joystick controls). I haven't gotten a price quote on the PT-100G yet.

Anybody care to comment here on the pros and cons of the machines? My experience with the RC100 was frustrating, but a lot of it was due to a different terrible dealer than the one I deal with now. Looking at the specs, the Bobcat machines appear to have much greater lifting capacity and only very slightly reduced hydraulic flow. The Bobcat machines are significantly wider than the PT-100. Does anybody out there have a newer PT-100 and can comment on the pros and cons of the newer undercarriage? How 'bout anyone whose driven the new M series Bobcats?

My uses for the machine are a lot of dirt work, mowing with the Davco cutting deck to maintain horse riding trails through forest, moving heavy loads with pallet forks across uneven ground, and just a lot of general farm maintenance tasks. I have and use the following implements - Davco cutting deck designed for the RC100, 4-in-1 bucket, vertical sickle mower, rock picker, pallet forks, grapple.

Thanks for any advice.

/ Recommendation on Terex PT100G or Bobcat 870 #2  
I ran bobcats for a few years with a mag head it did ok not great. I think when you put them side by side it will be an easy choice terex has the most power, wider tracks. The pt100g will out cut the bobcat hands down. Pt100g should cost around 80 to 85k depending on dealer.
Good luck

/ Recommendation on Terex PT100G or Bobcat 870 #3  
better hope you have a good dealer close to do warranty work or your on your own

/ Recommendation on Terex PT100G or Bobcat 870 #4  
I can't speak specifically for the Bobcat 870 as my dealer hasn't gotten one yet. The main benefit I see over the T320 is the ease in cleaning the radiator. In mulching, this is a big factor.

We have had very little downtime with the T320. Over 4 years mainly just wear and tear items like hoses and tracks and a few busted radiators before I put it on hinges to allow easy cleaning. Any problems we did have were handled quickly by our local dealer. This isn't always the case and depends on how good your dealer is, not mine.

The PT100 looks like a nice machine. But the main factor is your local service. It doesn't matter how good the machine is if you can't get good service. We have a local competitor that runs ASV and spends a lot of time in the shop. He just did a demo on a steel track T320 and may be switching all of his machines over.

/ Recommendation on Terex PT100G or Bobcat 870
Guys, Thanks for the replies - I appreciate the info. Has anyone out there run an ASV/Terex machine with the new much more open undercarriage design that I saw on the PT80 and that now comes on the PT100? I'm really curious about what it's like to use in the real world, because my experience with the old closed up design was that it really collected a lot of material and was difficult to clean out. As a result it seemed to be very hard on all of the undercarriage parts (rubber rims on the wheels and the bearings I would imagine).

/ Recommendation on Terex PT100G or Bobcat 870 #6  
A friend bought a pt100g about 2 mo ago and said the more he runs it the better he likes it. He was talking about new track set up and says it is much better than his old pt100. Having a reversing fan is nice. He is 2hr away from his dealer.

/ Recommendation on Terex PT100G or Bobcat 870 #7  
Guys, Thanks for the replies - I appreciate the info. Has anyone out there run an ASV/Terex machine with the new much more open undercarriage design that I saw on the PT80 and that now comes on the PT100? I'm really curious about what it's like to use in the real world, because my experience with the old closed up design was that it really collected a lot of material and was difficult to clean out. As a result it seemed to be very hard on all of the undercarriage parts (rubber rims on the wheels and the bearings I would imagine).

I don't know anyone who owns the new PT100G yet, but I do know a couple who run the current PT100 that will be changing this spring prior to the new season. There is also a commercial right of way clearing company up here who run over a dozen older PT100s like yours that had some test time with the PT100G. I understand that they will be changing over too. The information I got from just talking to these guys was that the new PT100G runs circles around the current PT100s hydraulically and performance wise. They said the Bobcat T320 will not come close to offering near the hydraulic performance, doesn't cut wide enough for the track width for them, has poor ground clearance and is too rear heavy so it sits back on its ***** in soft mucky conditions. I can't speak for the T870 because its new (I don't think they can either), but I can't imagine it having any more ground clearance (Bobcat doesn't list ground clearance???), it's 5" wider, over 1 ton heavier, it has the same hydraulic pumps and same engine just turned up (no torque listing although the T320 is around 251lb ft). It does lift significantly higher although I don't know what the real advantage would be and it lifts alot more (you get the extra machine weight to get that). The PT100G is still only 6' wide with standard 20" wide tracks, 4.4L engine with 310lb ft of torque, has a standard reversing fan, fully pressurized cab, standard ROPS/FOPS level II, 15" of ground clearance, standard two speed, hydraulic quick attach, adjustable 45gpm @ 3800psi, load sensing piston pump, standard auto idle, standard creep mode, standard pattern control, full brush guard, hinged belly pans for easy cleanout, etc.

I think it's clear that the PT100G undercarriage is much easier to clean than the current PT100 and I do know 3 PT80 owners that have been very happy with the undercarriage performance. One of them is running optional steel front and rear idlers- he spreads lots of base rock for his concrete business.

One other thing that I've hear from a couple T320 owners that bought machines with the suspensions is that while you do get some relief the front and rear are still solid so you feel the initial impact and the last impact and frozen ground beats the crap out of them regardless. Good luck and I hope someone who has brush cut with the new PT100G chimes in.

/ Recommendation on Terex PT100G or Bobcat 870 #8  
My dealer has asked me to demo the Bobcat 870 the week of March 21st and give my opinion on how it runs a mulcher. I'll post my thoughts here as well.

Last edited:
   / Recommendation on Terex PT100G or Bobcat 870
Thanks Fishfactor - I look forward to hearing what you think.

Anyone out there have any thoughts on the track options for the PT100G - I was considering going with the 20" tracks rather than the standard 18", but my dealer is recommending against it. He believes that the wider tracks will put more stress on the undercarriage and drive components and will also chunk out on the outside edge because of the longer amount of unsupported edge. What are your thoughts guys?