Ever start a fire?

/ Ever start a fire? #1  

QwikDraw

Platinum Member
Tractor
Timber King TK711
I was mowing a field with the Takeuchi and Davco and after making a pass and turning around I climbed back up the hill and could see smoke.

I crested the hill and a small fire had started in the field. I immediately looked in the mirror expecting to see the machine on fire but it was not. I attempted to "mow" the fire out but that didn't work and it lit the material on the mower. I tipped/flipped the mower and got most of the debris off and hauled butt across the field to my truck and called 911.

The best I can tell it was the blade hitting a rock and creating a spark. Anybody ever hear of this or have another idea? The machine and mower were checked and showed no signs of burnt debris anywhere (except on top where I caught it on fire)

We have some very dry conditions right now and it went up quick.

The fire dept shows up drives a tanker out in the field, blows the tranny and got swallowed by the fire. No one was hurt and they contained the fire to this 8 acre field but the truck was a total loss.

Photo035.jpg

/ Ever start a fire? #2  
I was mowing a field with the Takeuchi and Davco and after making a pass and turning around I climbed back up the hill and could see smoke.

I crested the hill and a small fire had started in the field. I immediately looked in the mirror expecting to see the machine on fire but it was not. I attempted to "mow" the fire out but that didn't work and it lit the material on the mower. I tipped/flipped the mower and got most of the debris off and hauled butt across the field to my truck and called 911.

The best I can tell it was the blade hitting a rock and creating a spark. Anybody ever hear of this or have another idea? The machine and mower were checked and showed no signs of burnt debris anywhere (except on top where I caught it on fire)

We have some very dry conditions right now and it went up quick.

The fire dept shows up drives a tanker out in the field, blows the tranny and got swallowed by the fire. No one was hurt and they contained the fire to this 8 acre field but the truck was a total loss.

Photo035.jpg

Sounds like a bad deal. :( Glad everyone came out okay, it could have been worse. :eek:

/ Ever start a fire? #3  
IMAGINE EXPLAINING THAT ONE TO THE CHIEF! WONDER HOW THE DEPARTMENT WILL EXPLAIN THAT TO THE INSURANCE COMPANY. IT'S NOT FUNNY BOUT WHAT HAPPENED, BUT U GOTTA ADMIT, THERE IS A LITTLE ROOM FOR HUMOR ON THAT ONE.

/ Ever start a fire? #4  
I see it all the time. I have seen just about everything get burned up or start a fire.

dsc01824.jpg

747_drop_Railbelt_2.jpg

dsc02220.jpg

/ Ever start a fire? #5  
The only thing you can see on the truck "Dial 911".

That's something you don't see everyday... were they trying to put out the flames before the truck caught fire?

/ Ever start a fire? #7  
Look at that! Thats a lot of smoke! :confused2:

That one ended up being almost 20k acres! It was a couple of years back in Horry County, SC. Burned up several homes and other stuff.

/ Ever start a fire?
Have you ever heard of a spark from the blade starting the fire?

/ Ever start a fire? #9  
Have you ever heard of a spark from the blade starting the fire?

Yes, especially this time of year when relative humidity levels are very low on the east coast. Personally, I can recall two such fires. One was started in dry Kudzu by a bushhog behind a tractor and the other was a skid steer mounted cutter and was working in understory. Both machines were completely burned as well as several acres on each fire. You were lucky that your Tak survived.

/ Ever start a fire? #10  
That one ended up being almost 20k acres! It was a couple of years back in Horry County, SC. Burned up several homes and other stuff.

All I can say is WOW.