Looking for skid steer rotary brush cutter

/ Looking for skid steer rotary brush cutter #1  

trailbuilder

Silver Member
Ironwood Michigan (Northern Michigan...by Lake Sup
Tractor
JD 333E, JD 333D, JD 328D, JD 450J, JD 50 D, CASE 621C,JD 4210,JD 3346,JD 5093,JD 825i, PB10050.
I have an 2009 ASV PT100 Forestry Package...and the Fecon for heavy brush and mulching. I am looking for a light brush cutter, heavy swamp grass and open field mowing in a rotary cutter. I rented a 72 inch Bradco low flow last year and it worked OK. I found a "Extreme" from wildkatattachments.com for $3300 and am wondering if anyone has tried one and how they work for my application.

/ Looking for skid steer rotary brush cutter #2  
Haven't used that one, but we have a brush cat (bobcat brand) with a high flow motor. It works great.... after I disabled the safety switch that cuts it off if you pick it up. Tried a ambusher one time and it worked OK for normal bush hog work, but couldn't handle high flow.

/ Looking for skid steer rotary brush cutter #3  
I got an Ambusher and I like it, but I don't have anything to compare it to. It's on a big Gehl and the std. flow (hyd) (2 line) is 40gpm, and I have no trouble, but I don't run it at full throttle either. I would not want to mow a field with it but if you don't have a tractor..... I mostly use it to clean up brush in and around trees in the woods. Last I checked $3300 sounds cheap. Make sure it's got some steel in it, these heavy, high power machines can make scrap out of a lesser built unit. Compare the advertised weight of it to others and buy the heavy one.

/ Looking for skid steer rotary brush cutter #4  
I have a Brush Monster (low flow) and it does well but it's definitely different than a tractor pulled rotary cutter (e.g. "bushhog"). It clips saplings off and tosses them aside rather than chewing them up into little pieces like a 3 pt cutter would do. It has a different design than some of the cutters, tending to push over brush and saplings and snipping it off. They claim it will cut up to 4 or 5" trees and I have done that (once) although it takes a minute or two.

It does not have a stump jumper and that's one thing that worries me: the spindle looks very vulnerable if I ever run into something with it.

It does not have an "off the ground safety cutoff" and I like it that way. I can trim low hanging branches with it by tilting it up.

/ Looking for skid steer rotary brush cutter #5  
I have a quick attach 72" that I really like. They ran a special year end sale with free shipping that caught my attention. I have a smaller 60 HP skid steer with Hi flo. It handles it OK but I wouldn't want anything heavier. The cutter pulls a lot easier cutting brush than it does cutting tall heavy grass. The cutter has handled some pretty heavy brush/trees for me but I have an open cab and ear plugs might make you relax a little more when cutting. Weight wise my machine would probably have handled the 60" better but I wanted to be able to drive through the hole I had cut. The saw seems to keep everything under it until it is cut up into pretty small chunks.

http://www.quickattach.com/brush_buster_rotary_brush_mower_video/?TabId=1

/ Looking for skid steer rotary brush cutter #6  
I got an Ambusher and I like it, but I don't have anything to compare it to. It's on a big Gehl and the std. flow (hyd) (2 line) is 40gpm, and I have no trouble, but I don't run it at full throttle either. I would not want to mow a field with it but if you don't have a tractor..... I mostly use it to clean up brush in and around trees in the woods. Last I checked $3300 sounds cheap. Make sure it's got some steel in it, these heavy, high power machines can make scrap out of a lesser built unit. Compare the advertised weight of it to others and buy the heavy one.

Could be that the one we used could handle the high flow. The dealer let us use it until our brush cat came in. Told us several times not to use the high flow. It may have cut much better if we had tried it anyway. Maybe they just wanted us to be impressed when we put on the one we bought.