Any Mulchers in KY or surrounding states

/ Any Mulchers in KY or surrounding states #1  

Schwartz04

Heres the deal a buddy and myself are interested in getting into the mulching business. We would like to come and watch somebody running one of these machines and pick your brain a little bit. We are both in our mid twentys and equipment operators by trade. If anyone is interested in letting us watch for a day or two please Pm and any other advice would be welcomed
Thank You
Adam

/ Any Mulchers in KY or surrounding states
There's not a whole lot of takers on this, are there lol

/ Any Mulchers in KY or surrounding states #3  
There's not a whole lot of takers on this, are there lol

You could also ask a equipment dealer who sells mulchers to set up a demo in your area and ask questions then. It's a lot to ask (liability wise) to let people just watch when mulching. :thumbsup:

Why not ask some questions on TBN? A lot of prof mulchers on this site, most are helpfull, some are not.:D

/ Any Mulchers in KY or surrounding states #4  
The first step is to go see a professional head examiner:)

You probably aren't getting much response because it is asked so often on here. If you do a search, you will find several threads on starting a new mulching business.

You can come watch us anytime, we'll even put you to work. But it'll be a little drive to Charlotte, NC.

In a nutshell, if you can pay cash for a small mulcher ($200,000 new or $100,000 used) or a CTL setup for around $100,000 new (which will break a lot more), pay cash for a truck in the likes of a F-450 - 650, although a single axle tractor trailer works much better (CDL required for both) and a 10-20 ton trailer, then have $25,000 left over for fuel, parts, and repairs you can get started. Then be prepared to not be able to draw a paycheck for a year or more while you build the business.

Sounds like an exageration, but it really isn't. Mulching is brutal to get started in. People aren't amiliar with it in most areas and it's difficult to market. Large contracts go to experienced companies. Many bids even state that experience outweighs price.

That's why you need to be able to do it as a hobby (a very expensive one) on your own land or friends and family's land to get some hours in the cab. Pick up small jobs here and there and give them flat prices vs by the hour so they aren't pushing you to hurry the whole time. Experienced operators can go faster than new operators and get better results. New operators trying to go fast break a lot of things and leave a mess. Build your experience on small jobs so if you price it low you don't lose a ton of money.

/ Any Mulchers in KY or surrounding states #5  
Call me some time and I'll find you something to watch. We'll narrow down your criteria and what your trying to cut and find the appropiate machine to go see. But fish is right, this exact question has been asked TOO much and the people asking usually don't listen, so that is why we are slow to respond. I talk faster than I type so give me a shout.

/ Any Mulchers in KY or surrounding states
I have been a long time follower of the land clearing section of tbn and have asked the "How to start a mulching business" question before. I have read everythread in this section. The general consensus was to find someone you kno that does it and watch and try so that is why I asked.
I was highly interested in this 2 years ago or so but got a job offer I couldnt refuse now the job is getting old and this has gotten back in my head.
Thanks for the offers guys I will talk with my Buddy and see when he has some free time and get back with both of you
Thanks
Adam

Last edited: