Tractor
    (2) 2014 CAT 299DXHP / FECON

Default Bobcat T870 Demo

After a few months of waiting for a unit to come in, we finally got to demo the Bobcat 870 today. We used our mulcher (a bobcat branded fecon head). Had about 5 broken teeth, 50% of the others have about 100 hours on them and the other 50% have between 500 and 800 hours on them. We used our head to make sure any perceived performance difference wasn't in new teeth or a different head. This unti had rubber tracks, but will be available soon with steel tracks as an option.

It was a little cooler today, only 90 deg F. We ran it WOT the whole time with no water or hydro temp problems.

Performance was suprisingly stronger than our T320. You could really tell a difference on larger hardwoods. The 870 powered through them with much less stalling. When you did stall, recovery time was very similiar to the T320.

Lift height was impressive. I think it is about 12 ft.

Visibility was greatly improved over the 320, especially out the back.

A/C was wonderful. Had to keep it on low and couldn't run the thermostat on the coldest setting.

Cab was sealed and pressurized tight. In fact, you couldn't shut the cab door without opening a window first. The windows are greatly improved as well. You can actually open and close them. The cab was much nicer in general. You stay clean, and have a cup holder.

The roller supension undercarriage was nice. Made the mine field of stumps easier to deal with.

The machine is a bit larger than the 320. Both length, width, and weight. This isn't a factor for us, but it may be if you try to pull it with a pickup.

The radiators are finally hinged to allow for easy cleaning.

Improved rear bumper. This may not sound like much, but we have totally destroyed our tailgate by backing into stumps and getting them hung under the tailgate. The new bumper should eliminate this problem and also gives you a better angle for crossing ditches, etc.

So... how does it stack up to the Terex PT100G?

Performance wise, I would estimate very similiar. The Terex seemed a little stronger, but it had a two speed head with almost new teeth, so I have to call it a tie. I expect that with the same head the machines would perform very similiar.

Visibility, Bobcat wins. If you recall, visibility was a concern in my Terex demo. I loved the visibility out of the T870.

Forestry protection, Terex wins. The rear protection is much better. The cab forward design of the bobcat leaves the rear open to falling limbs and tops of dead trees.

Ease of maintenance, Bobcat. Hinged radiator being the deciding factor.

Tight places, Terex wins. It has a much smaller footprint.

One other thing I like about the Terex is the bypass on the hydraulics. If you start to stall the head, it goes into bypass until you clear the problem. This allows you to pick up the head without turning it off. SOmething I have always hated about the Bobcat.

So overall, I would call it a close race. Dealer support in your area would be a big factor, as well as which ever of the above comparisons mean the most to you.
    No matter what anyone tells you, old fencing, cable, and farm implements that are in the middle of the woods are not your friends!

Colby
    S & P Land Services

Tractor
    M 9540 Kubota

Default Re: Bobcat T870 Demo

Nice, through review. The 2 new "big frame" Bobcat machines interest me as they both lift 12'. Up to now Gehl (wheeled machine) was the only one close to having a 12' lift. I don't do any mulching, so I wonder if anyone has used one of these new BC machines for regular dirt work?
    Fishfactor, It seems that most of you mulching/clearing guys are down south. What all do you guys mulch? I'm not that aware of that much of what you do, going on here up north. Maybe I don't see them.
    ]We need more people to WORK for a living and less people to VOTE for a living!
    (proven on 11/6/12)

Gold Member

My buddy at Bobcat said that they were discontinuing the steel track option soon because of significant reliability problems and the vibration to the rest of the machine, particularly the windows, cab lining, dome lights, hydraulic hard lines and loose bolts.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyiron View Post
    Fishfactor, It seems that most of you mulching/clearing guys are down south. What all do you guys mulch? I'm not that aware of that much of what you do, going on here up north. Maybe I don't see them.
    We can mulch anything that grows up to 4 feet in diameter. There are mulchers up north as well I'm sure. A lot of the work is in secluded sites. There are a few guys on here from Canada.
    No matter what anyone tells you, old fencing, cable, and farm implements that are in the middle of the woods are not your friends!

Colby
    S & P Land Services

Tractor
    Timber King TK711

I'm in Connecticut and work mostly in CT and MA. I have worked in NJ too. I have bid on project in VT but not up in Maine (yet).
    Ted
    2002 Timber King TK711 - Quadco 5660
    2000 Timberjack 608S - Waratah 622
    2012 Komatsu PC160 LC8- Denis Cimaf 125D
    2006 Timberpro 810F - Rotobec Grapple/Saw
    2008 Supertrak 140 CTL-C - FAE Mulch head
    2012 John Deere 332D - Dymax 14" Timberwolf tree shear - Fecon Bull Hog - Davco BC705HS - Ammbusher DL66 - Bradco 72" Brush Cutter - Bradco Root Rake Grapple
    2008 New Holland T5070 - Bush Hog 2715L

TR Landworks, LLC

Tractor
    M 9540 Kubota

Are you clearing for new const? Utility ROW's like the "big" elec/gas lines? I know what your machinery can do, I'm just not sure who you do it for. Thanks
    ]We need more people to WORK for a living and less people to VOTE for a living!
    (proven on 11/6/12)

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyiron View Post
    Are you clearing for new const? Utility ROW's like the "big" elec/gas lines? I know what your machinery can do, I'm just not sure who you do it for. Thanks
    Right now we are split about 60% for state agencies and 40% for individuals or businesses.

Colby
    S & P Land Services

With the tracks being wider than the mulcher on the t870.. Did it ever give you any problems with the demo?
    Marc
    Custom construction LLC

Tractor

Width was not a issue for me. Our T320 is wider than the 60" cut head as well.

Colby
    S & P Land Services

Silver Member
    Tractor
    2011 Terex pt 100g 2012 case cx210 2006 gyrotrac gt 25

Pt 100g is holding up well has over 800 hours with no major issues