RDM Mulcher

/ RDM Mulcher #11  
Just so everyone knows there is a thumb reciever option for the Fecon CEM36 mulcher. This will allow an excavator with a thumb to pick up and move logs and rocks. See videos of the CEM36 on youtube. The youtube videos don't show the thumb reciever option but it is available.

/ RDM Mulcher
Can't dig stumps with the CEM36. Also can't help pull the excavator up a hill or pick up the excavator to help spin around. But other than that, I liked the CEM36.

We still haven't ruled out a fecon head. We ran it a few months ago and it did pretty good. Now we're going to run this AFE head and see which will suit us the best.

/ RDM Mulcher
We got back from Idaho and got to spend 4 days with Jon. He's a really nice guy. Toured his shop, saw heads being built, and got to meet everyone, not to mention running a mulcher. I'll post a separate review in the next day or so.

/ RDM Mulcher #15  
Whats it cost to get a mulcher to clean-up a place that had been logged about 5 yrs ago,mostly high weeds,tops ,and stumps.What it is just picked a new deer lease just 15 miles down the road and thinking mulching it would be the way to go!!I thought about using my D31p dozer but then i would just have to pile it somewhere,whats yall thought on this project?Was thinking a skid steer mulcher would be the best for this job,but thats why im here,to ask the guys that know!!

/ RDM Mulcher
There are lots of mulchers in TX maybe someone will chime in. Price could range from a few hundred/acre to several thousand/acre depending on how big of a mess they left and your desired results.

/ RDM Mulcher #17  
There are lots of mulchers in TX maybe someone will chime in. Price could range from a few hundred/acre to several thousand/acre depending on how big of a mess they left and your desired results.

Not wonting to clean it all just trails and section were I can put stands and food plot.I can drive the 4wheeler threw it so its not extremely bad.Probaly a days work!!!

/ RDM Mulcher #19  
I may have missed it, but what did you decide to purchase? I have been meeting with a guy i know with a Supertrak and a Fecon head....he is interested in putting a cutting head of some sort on my Kolbelco 135sr excavator. I like the U.S. Mower EX 50 but perhaps the RDM would be a better option. He wants to grow his business, but doesn't want to go it alone, I already have a Kobelco 35sr, a Kobelco 135sr and a Takeuchi TL130 that i can use for assisting him with R.O.W work as well as private land owner work. He is really looking for an excavator with a cutting head to handle taller trees and the slopes and wet areas that he can't get into. He doesn't cut to much hardwood, so I was thinking that the U.S. Mower might be a good purchase. Any thoughts....

/ RDM Mulcher #20  
I have the US Mower EX50 SuperSamurai on a Deere 50D as well as the RDM on a Deere 160D. They are both great heads for what they were intended on cutting. The US Mower works great on stuff up to 4" (hardwood) and 8" (softwood). The RDM is great on stuff up to it's designed capacity of 16" but it has also allowed me to cut and mulch a 24" pine tree before (I wouldn't do that every day).

If it were me, I would stick to running a RDM on a larger machine such as your 135. It will give you more capability for cutting material than the US Mower will just becasuse the RDM uses fixed mounted teeth and the US Mower is a flail design. If you don't need the "full" version of the RDM, Jon makes a slightly "less optioned" version of the RDM that can save you significant money while still giving you the same cutting performance of the top of the line RDM.