How to clear Mesquite

/ How to clear Mesquite #2  
Assuming you want to kill it off - don't mow it!! There are growth buds about 6" underground that will sprout and you'll have many stems instead of one. There are chemical sprays that will work - most are restricted to registered applicators. Otherwise, digging them up is the best answer - we use an excavator to be sure to get the growth point and roots.

/ How to clear Mesquite #3  
We spot spray with diesel and remedy. On my own place we mulched it first to get rid of the wood, and then when it sprouted back we sprayed it and got a good kill. A year later I root plowed it to get rid of the stumps which was a whole lot easier with rotten tap roots.

/ How to clear Mesquite
OK here's where I'm up to on this project. The client wants to mulch the Mesquite (most of it up to 3" dia,how thick unknown,no pic's yet) so in order to be cost competitive I am thinking of using a fail mower and mounted on the C140,2.5 metre(8 ft) cut and working it as a 1 pass operation. Has anyone else tried this and was it successful?

/ How to clear Mesquite #7  
How much meat is required for 100000 acres???????:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Does it matter? Just start cooking and we will come help you get rid of the byproduct of your mesquite disposal. :thumbsup:

/ How to clear Mesquite #8  
Sort of depends on a couple of things. How fast it needs to be completed and is anything else to ever grow there.

If your in a hurry use the mower. Go back & dig as much stump & root as you can. The use a lot of salt or diesel fuel.

No hurry let the stump rot for a year or 2 then dig it out. Then you can follow the sprouts and dig out the roots.

Have fun

/ How to clear Mesquite
Sort of depends on a couple of things. How fast it needs to be completed and is anything else to ever grow there.

If your in a hurry use the mower. Go back & dig as much stump & root as you can. The use a lot of salt or diesel fuel.

No hurry let the stump rot for a year or 2 then dig it out. Then you can follow the sprouts and dig out the roots.

Have fun
As far as I know the client will be in a big hurry so mechanical clearing will be the go. For clearing the bigger trees I am thinking of using an excavator with a vertical tree grab so I can lift the whole tree and roots out of the ground then mulch them. Would this idea work?

/ How to clear Mesquite #10  
As far as I know the client will be in a big hurry so mechanical clearing will be the go. For clearing the bigger trees I am thinking of using an excavator with a vertical tree grab so I can lift the whole tree and roots out of the ground then mulch them. Would this idea work?

Worth a try, but even a small mesquite has a big or tough root system and it goes for a long ways. If you can get a gapple that would be better.

I use a back hoe and chase the running roots with my pickle fork. See pickle fork in "I Build Ugly". When most trees are out go through with a ripper. With enough horse power a ripper will take out smaller trees.

Have Fun,
Jim