Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Silver Member

Default Re: Running Carbides An Chippers on the same Drum?

you have to have 20 chippers and 20 carbides.they have to be evenly spaced.its balanced ok.

That's interesting, thankyou Treeman.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    299D XHP w/HM 415B mulcher

Quote Originally Posted by cat 297c View Post
    Has anyone ever tried running to different types of teeth on the same drum? I love running chippers but i hate like heck sharping them i was thinking about running my Quadco Chipper in the center of my drum For cutting larger material an running King Kong Planner Carbides or double tipped Carbides on outsides of the Quadcos so i'll only have 10-12 to sharpen verses 38. Anyone ever try this or had any luck? Worried it mite throw the fae drum off balance.
    I know this is an older post and I'm asking the same question as originally posted, however I'm just wandering how chipper teeth would work(Balance out) if I ran them in the center of my drum with carbides on the outsides. I was thinking of a 1/3 ratio on a 34 tooth FAE head! Any thoughts?

Queensland & Far South Coast NSW Australia
    Tractor
    Rayco

It would be best to weigh both types of teeth before changing anything. I know the new Fecon/AHWI are interchangeable but FAE I'm not shaw of. You could end up with a machine that's got Parkinson Disease.
    CTC Mulching
    I'm going to die without any enemies' in the world cause I will outlive the barstards

Change them all.
    I just swapped out the original carbides with planer carbides on the entire drum. Made a world of difference; no jams, smaller chips, drum stays spinning longer. Would have saved a lot of fuel & time over the last few years if I had switched sooner.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dsc07683-jpg  
    2006 ASV RC100, Loftness Carbide Cutter, Erskine snowblower, Brushwolf 9000HF, 2003 New Holland TN65, 2014 Kubota RTV-X900, 1985 Jacobsen HR15, 1981 John Deere 400, 1979 Ford 7700, 1958 Wife

Tractor
    Bobcat T320 Forestry, Gyro Trac GT25, Yanmar 3110D

Quote Originally Posted by McCaskey View Post
    Change them all.
    I just swapped out the original carbides with planer carbides on the entire drum. Made a world of difference; no jams, smaller chips, drum stays spinning longer. Would have saved a lot of fuel & time over the last few years if I had switched sooner.
    Do you have enough hours on the teeth yet for good data? I've thought about those but was concerned that they would chip easy and become a typical carbide hammer pretty quick.
    No matter what anyone tells you, old fencing, cable, and farm implements that are in the middle of the woods are not your friends!

Colby
    S & P Land Services

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    299D XHP w/HM 415B mulcher

Quote Originally Posted by tonyoz View Post
    It would be best to weigh both types of teeth before changing anything. I know the new Fecon/AHWI are interchangeable but FAE I'm not shaw of. You could end up with a machine that's got Parkinson Disease.
    Well, put the chipper teeth(10 of them)in the center of the drum with hammers on the outsides and Wow! what a difference! Balance feels good,no vibrations and cuts like heck! Think I'm gonna like this setup!

Quote Originally Posted by fishfactor View Post
    Do you have enough hours on the teeth yet for good data? I've thought about those but was concerned that they would chip easy and become a typical carbide hammer pretty quick.

Only got about 40 hours on the new planers, but results are good. Fortunately, we don't have a lot of rocks around here to deal with. Mostly large visible boulders.

I took the cutter bar to a guy with a water jet. For only $50 he took 1/8" off the bar for a factory new edge. The gap between teeth & bar is set to 1/8" by using a piece of angle iron as a gauge.

Cutting a 1/2" allen wrench in half and using a deep socket & bar made quick work out of loosing the socket screws.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dsc07684-jpg   -0718101225a-jpg  
    2006 ASV RC100, Loftness Carbide Cutter, Erskine snowblower, Brushwolf 9000HF, 2003 New Holland TN65, 2014 Kubota RTV-X900, 1985 Jacobsen HR15, 1981 John Deere 400, 1979 Ford 7700, 1958 Wife

Has anyone came out with a chipper tooth or aftermarket carbide for the bobcat head yet?
    Marc
    Custom construction LLC

Tractor
    Cat 287C, Vermeer SC 372, John Deere 6430

Hey guys I'm running the Fecon Mulching head and I want to change from the double carbide tipped tool to a chipper/planar tool do y'all have any suggestions to what type of chipper tooth I should go with

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast