Running Carbides An Chippers on the same Drum?

/ Running Carbides An Chippers on the same Drum?
CustomConstruction said:
Are you running them all across your drum or just in the center?

I tried running both but it never would balance right on my Rayco c140 tried serval different ways I got it close but there still was a slight vibration in the drum ran it anyway because I was feed up with moving teeth around. After bout 50 hrs of running it like that my bearings went out, so I run chippers all around then when I need carbides for a job I just change them out. The quadco system will take your bobcat head from a two bolt tooth to a one bolt tooth so it pretty much cuts. Changing tool time in half, my Rayco has the old Fae two bolt drum before I installed the quadcos it took my 45- an hour changing teeth depending on how bad the bolts in the tools were, to 20-30 minutes with the quadcos. I know a guy running them in the center of his cat hm415b head which is a fae head as far as I know he hasn't had any problems. Once my stock teeth ware out on my cat415hm I'm running going to try it.

Last edited:
   / Running Carbides An Chippers on the same Drum? #33  
Ok thanks for the information.. I think im gonna give it a try on my bobcat head and see how it works..

/ Running Carbides An Chippers on the same Drum? #34  
Hey has anyone seen the replacment teeth for the loftness mulcher on youtube and on ebay?

The teeth are made of D2 tool steel. The video shows a kid changing a tooth on the drum. The tooth looks a little like a knive or maybe a planer tooth. quadco teeth are made of steel. Are they costly.

The D2 tool steel teeth are 30$ bucks. Is that a good deal?

/ Running Carbides An Chippers on the same Drum?
That's in the ball park my double sided quadcos are round 37.00 a piece for chippers.

/ Running Carbides An Chippers on the same Drum? #36  
Lets see there is 42 teeth on my rotor and a 7 buck difference. that around a 294 buck difference.

How is the quadco holding up? can you resharp? Do they save you fuel over the carbide?

Can I bolt them right on like the D2 tooth?

Looks like the bolts are different. Do you change your bolts every time you change out a set of teeth?

/ Running Carbides An Chippers on the same Drum? #37  
Lets see there is 42 teeth on my rotor and a 7 buck difference. that around a 294 buck difference.

How is the quadco holding up? can you resharp? Do they save you fuel over the carbide?

Can I bolt them right on like the D2 tooth?

Looks like the bolts are different. Do you change your bolts every time you change out a set of teeth?

hmmm... The seller on ebay has the same name as the poster on here.

/ Running Carbides An Chippers on the same Drum? #38  
hmmm... The seller on ebay has the same name as the poster on here.

Yup that is me.

I made the mold for these teeth in my garage shop and I am looking for feed back on what other people think hey want or need. Is there a market for them? I know i run them on my machine and they seem to do all right.

Standard teeth are big bucks and we all need to keep our cost down. It was cheaper for me to build the mold and get them casted than a set of standard loftness carbides. Not including my time of course.

/ Running Carbides An Chippers on the same Drum? #39  
I'm no expert by any stretch, but it seems the angle on the cutting edge should come to a sharper angle. The advantage to a knife you can sharpen is the sharp edge. All of the others I have seen have a angle similar to an axe.