Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    Cat 299D XHP, Cat 297c, Rayco C140

Default Running Carbides An Chippers on the same Drum?

Has anyone ever tried running to different types of teeth on the same drum? I love running chippers but i hate like heck sharping them i was thinking about running my Quadco Chipper in the center of my drum For cutting larger material an running King Kong Planner Carbides or double tipped Carbides on outsides of the Quadcos so i'll only have 10-12 to sharpen verses 38. Anyone ever try this or had any luck? Worried it mite throw the fae drum off balance.
    Lifescapes Forestry Mulching/ Brush Cutting Services
    251-331-4475
    lifescapes-forestry-mulchling.com

Tractor
    (2) 2014 CAT 299DXHP / FECON

Default Re: Running Carbides An Chippers on the same Drum?

I haven't but I saw a video where they were running 3 different kind of teeth. One on the left, one in the center, and one on the right. I think as long as you keep them spaced right you should be OK.
    No matter what anyone tells you, old fencing, cable, and farm implements that are in the middle of the woods are not your friends!

Colby
    S & P Land Services

Hello, I'm new to forum. You may run into an imbalance problem. If the weight of the cutting tools is different then you will likely have this problem. You may can add wts if there is a place. Your idea is good. I run long vertical knives in the center of my drum to cut the bigger trees and shorter lighter blades to the outside.

I've never run chippers and have wondered what the production increase would be. I'm not excited about spending the money to replace good hammers with something else, but if I could handle the harder wood with chippers I would be intrigued by this idea. Will chippers help much? New to this game.
    MY2012 John Deere 5083e-563 FEL, 2008 CAT 272C with 60" Bradco Mulching Head

I had a magnum first and then tried a chipper style. I sold the magnum and have a chipper style now and have never looked back. Some don't like to have to sharpen the knives but to me its well worth it. It's cuts twice as fast and it cuts bigger trees.

Silver Member

i have run them on fecon old style.they need too be even ,every other tooth, i had to start with all new too,or they shake pretty bad

Did the new chipper tools weigh the same as the new carbides on the fecon?

I have Loftness Timber Ax & a Loftness Carbide Cutter. The Carbide Cutter works better than the Timber Ax for my needs, so I took the TA to auction this morning. In VG condition, it went for $3400. I was hoping for $5000. Maybe it's Carbides over Chippers, or maybe it's the economy.
    2006 ASV RC100, Loftness Carbide Cutter, Erskine snowblower, Brushwolf 9000HF, 2003 New Holland TN65, 2014 Kubota RTV-X900, 1985 Jacobsen HR15, 1981 John Deere 400, 1979 Ford 7700, 1958 Wife

Silver Member

no i dont think they do.thats why i had to try to balance them or space them the same.they really increase prodution but i couldnt keep them tight and would brake fixtures off daily.

does spacing help or did it balance out

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast