Mini Ex Mulcher

/ Mini Ex Mulcher
Stopped by today and watched it for a few minutes. Your right about the head (bauma). The spotter said the power pack was 160HP.

/ Mini Ex Mulcher #22  
That's a huge cage for 160hp power pack.

/ Mini Ex Mulcher #23  
I'm not trying to be a jerk but based on the research i've been doing, i think i would have went with the Versatrac/Cimaf powerpack small compact and lite weight. I've been considering buying a Kubota KX080-3 an running a power pack on it, with a cimaf head. I've been looking at power packs for awhile, I've looked at the Foster but didn't like the specs on hyd. output. If the one on the Bobcat 442 is a 160hp power pack, which it looks a little large for 160hp. But if it is the Foster specs on the 156hp deere model show 70gpm @ 2250 psi. Using, Flow x Pressure x .90 ÷ 1714 The foster is only producing 82hhp. But Foster maybe able to turn the pump up i don't know. The Vertrac/Cimaf 80 has a 99hp motor putting out 45gpm @ 5000psi = 118hhp may not have the motor to back it up but you wouldn't know it til u got into something over 10-12 inches with the cimaf. check it out below

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 508
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
   / Mini Ex Mulcher #24  
your all a little off. it's 225hp with 60gpm@5000psi. now, can we put this to bed. oh, and i agree the foster is big, but way over built and will last a lifetime. the hy oil cooler has not even ran most of today. the balance on the turn table is perfect, fuel consumption is so low you wouldn't believe me if i told you. oh yea, almost forgot. have a FAE with a 3 ft. extention that travels out and back to ya. set it this way to save the boom and give me more grubbing power with the rake i made to the back side of the head. i also forgot to mention that Foster has the best hy. engineers in the business. i have access to programs that will take this pack to 300hp if needed. the Baumalight head was not my choice, but i bought it from a friend who was a rep, and he practically gave it to me. i've bought a number of cutters from him and we just got to be good friends and the head has the smaller teeth,so it grooms road shoulders. that's what DOT people wanted me to do was groom. i'll finish by saying that i will have been in this business 9 **** hard years. started it completely alone with no financial assitance, and i now have a very sucessful co. with 4 employees and have done great. also, i bought this pack for less than 50,000 where Shinn wanted 83000 for 125hp duetz pack. i have less than 90000 in the entire unit, cutter heads and all, and i have months of steady work for this machine. i've never posted on this site and probably never will again, just ain't my thing. don't have any movies for ya either. all i have is a young fellow who gets his rocks off tresspassing in the back lot of my business, taking pictures of my equipment, posting it on this site, lies about how he came by the machine, then pokes you guys to get a nut, when he should be working if he's going to make it also, i love all the knowledge he shares with you guys. he's only been out here in the woods for about a year and a half. i was still learning alot at that point but i didn,t have anyone to copy, yes i said copy. he rides by my jobs almost daily and had the nerve to come on my job site today to pick my newest employees brain for specs. on this excavator. also, you know who you are, thats what's known in the equipment world as a mid range ex. not mini. and when you need credible info, try asking someone other than a kid who doesn't even know what gpm or psi even means. if your looking for fame, walk into a McDonalds and soot some folks. ****, in other words, get a life. i hope you noticed i didn't mention your user name so you can continue your self-proclaimed moment of fame and knowledge. now go and get your in-laws to buy you some more ****. i've never posted with any of you other guys on here, even though i do remember Yellowdog's name on here way back several years ago. if you need advice, go to him. he'll answer your request and he knows the business.

/ Mini Ex Mulcher #26  
The Vertrac 80 has a 99hp motor putting out 45gpm @ 5000psi = 118hhp. check it out below

Just to clarify a few things:

When you do the math like this and end up with more hydraulic horsepower than the horsepower of the engine in the power pack, it means something is wrong. It can be that the specs actually said max flow 45 gpm and max pressure 5000 psi (but not one in relation with the other), or that the guy who wrote the specs screwed up good by writing 45 gpm @ 5000 psi.

Remember that one of the first law of the Universe (beyond that tax thing) is that converting energy costs energy; Going from mechanical power to hydraulic power means some power is lost in the conversion.

A rough rule of thumb I use is to estimate the efficiency of the conversion at 85%. 100 mechanical hp will give around 85 hydraulic hp. Engineers reading this might actually be able to tell you that the actual average should be up or down a few percents, and most importantly that some hydraulic system are more efficient than others. But anyway.

So if a power pack is 99 hp, you can guesstimate that it offers around 84.15 hydraulic hp. If the specs says 45 gal/min, then you can estimate that this will be at a pressure of 3205 psi (84.15 x 1714 / 45). If the specs says max pressure is 5500 psi, you can estimate that this is then with of flow of 26 gal/min (84.15 x 1714 / 5500).

So, bottom line, always beware of the gpm @ psi specs. Do the math, and if you end up with more hp than the rated power of the engine, then it means that they probably meant max gpm, max psi (not one in relation with the other). Hoping this helps you when checking the specs of your next tractor or power pack or anything...

On another note, you will no longer find Versatrac power packs. Versatrac went belly up August 2010. The Versatrac name has been kept for a while but is now being phased out. The 350-hp track carrier is now sold by Fethos, and their power packs, by... DENIS CIMAF. :D

:)

FD

/ Mini Ex Mulcher #27  
your all a little off. it's 225hp with 60gpm@5000psi. now, can we put this to bed. oh, and i agree the foster is big, but way over built and will last a lifetime. the hy oil cooler has not even ran most of today. the balance on the turn table is perfect, fuel consumption is so low you wouldn't believe me if i told you. oh yea, almost forgot. have a FAE with a 3 ft. extention that travels out and back to ya. set it this way to save the boom and give me more grubbing power with the rake i made to the back side of the head. i also forgot to mention that Foster has the best hy. engineers in the business. i have access to programs that will take this pack to 300hp if needed. the Baumalight head was not my choice, but i bought it from a friend who was a rep, and he practically gave it to me. i've bought a number of cutters from him and we just got to be good friends and the head has the smaller teeth,so it grooms road shoulders. that's what DOT people wanted me to do was groom. i'll finish by saying that i will have been in this business 9 **** hard years. started it completely alone with no financial assitance, and i now have a very sucessful co. with 4 employees and have done great. also, i bought this pack for less than 50,000 where Shinn wanted 83000 for 125hp duetz pack. i have less than 90000 in the entire unit, cutter heads and all, and i have months of steady work for this machine. i've never posted on this site and probably never will again, just ain't my thing. don't have any movies for ya either. all i have is a young fellow who gets his rocks off tresspassing in the back lot of my business, taking pictures of my equipment, posting it on this site, lies about how he came by the machine, then pokes you guys to get a nut, when he should be working if he's going to make it also, i love all the knowledge he shares with you guys. he's only been out here in the woods for about a year and a half. i was still learning alot at that point but i didn,t have anyone to copy, yes i said copy. he rides by my jobs almost daily and had the nerve to come on my job site today to pick my newest employees brain for specs. on this excavator. also, you know who you are, thats what's known in the equipment world as a mid range ex. not mini. and when you need credible info, try asking someone other than a kid who doesn't even know what gpm or psi even means. if your looking for fame, walk into a McDonalds and soot some folks. ****, in other words, get a life. i hope you noticed i didn't mention your user name so you can continue your self-proclaimed moment of fame and knowledge. now go and get your in-laws to buy you some more ****. i've never posted with any of you other guys on here, even though i do remember Yellowdog's name on here way back several years ago. if you need advice, go to him. he'll answer your request and he knows the business.

Welcome to TBN, I personally hope this is not your last time posting here, as good mulchers with years of knowledge would be an asset to this forum. You took enough of your time to set the record straight, so you have my respect. :thumbsup:

/ Mini Ex Mulcher #28  
AGGIE00 said:
Something those of us in the business could appreciate or critique. What's your point?

No but really what's the point. To have the power of a 300 excavator on the back of a small one. I'm just asking why :0

/ Mini Ex Mulcher #29  
Heavyduty said:
Welcome to TBN, I personally hope this is not your last time posting here, as good mulchers with years of knowledge would be an asset to this forum. You took enough of your time to set the record straight, so you have my respect. :thumbsup:

Thanks you answered all my question regard my last comment;)

/ Mini Ex Mulcher #30  
these are the types of comments and info mulchers need to pay attention to. great info for the newcomers. always do the math to make sure your getting what you paid for.i would add, never push hy. h.p. to close to actual engine h.p., your just asking for lots of heat and a short life of the machine. for those of you running on the edge of heat limits in the summer months, may i suggest trying Shaeffer's parasynthetic hy. oil. HTC Supreme with varnishield. this product lowered my temp in the skidsteers by approx. 20 degrees.

Last edited: