Cat 299d

/ Cat 299d #41  
Ringpowertally, are you a cat dealer? I have a debris kit, it is not called a forestry kit, Cat has made that very apparent to me. It does let finer things thru, we deal with exotic invasives species in Illinois, primarily hawthorne, hedge, locust, autumn olive, bush honeysuckle and couple more, they have finer limbs and thorns that get thru, we run 2 machines everyday of the week. The debris kit is not holding up so well as we work under hedge from time to time. It is letting in debris, which Bobcat does as well, the difference is Cat catches on fire. How do you get the tracks to stay on the NLC, that is the model I have?

/ Cat 299d #42  
i am a CCE and Challenger Tech at a dealer.....the fine sticks will penetrate the coolers and guards but you still should not have a fire issue.........is there large gaps between the yellow frame and the black stack plate? do the rubber strips on the cooler grill bow up or are they nice and tight but straight? how often are you cleaning the machine? we recoment a cooler/engine blow out and a filter blow out every 4 hours of run time. the fix for the tracks jumping off is a dealer modification to the recoil assembly.

/ Cat 299d #43  
I wish you worked at the dealership I deal with, guards bunch up and to blow out, every four hours is alot to blow out, that is not good for production, we are not on right of way work where oil and gas is paying for it, natural resources is a tight gig. The problem is that behind the regeneration system is a shelf, I need to have control on the regeneration so it only does it when we are not working and can watch it, this would really not be safe out west, I am a forester and this thing out there would start national fire. This is a huge risk for Cat, my dealer does not have the knowledge it sounds like you do. How does the track modification work, is it another rung?

/ Cat 299d #44  
its simply a spacer on the recoil pack....and kinda...... there is no service letter or recall....its more a solution for a machine that cant keep tracks on.

i know of the shelf that you are talking about....... there just shouldnt be junk getting up there if the debris kit is correctly installed....... now if there is gaps then it will fill up like a bucket!!!!! learned that lesson with the XPS C's.

how is your T870 holding up in the woods?

oh and you will never be able to control REGENs........ thats WAY WAY beyond Cat!!! LOL
the thing is that when conditions are met that the DPF is continuously regenerating..... it only need a "active" regen when conditions have not been met for a "passive" cycle but the soot load is at critical levels.

/ Cat 299d #45  
T870 has been good, had a roller catch track fire, and the computer is it in 1200 hours. been great machine, we run Fecon mulchin heads. They are indestructible it seems.

/ Cat 299d #46  
Other skid loaders can control when they regen so it is not in the middle of a barn full of hay

/ Cat 299d #47  
thats news to me.......... i know you can force them into a regen but i didnt think you can stop it completly........... guess i need to go dealer hopping and spy on the enemy!!! LOL

/ Cat 299d #48  
Are you sure you can stop a regen? I did not think it was possible like ringpower said I only thought it was possible to start a regen but not stop it. Seems like stopping one could cause harm.

/ Cat 299d #49  
You can't really stop them. You get a warning on the new Bobcats telling you to regen, but if you ignore the third warning it shuts down and you can't run the machine. The Bobcat tech then must come out to flash the computer in order to operate the machine again. They will charge you for this, and yes if you build up too much soot it will damage the DPF.

/ Cat 299d #50  
I was talking like you said digdeep where you can postpone it, sorry for the misunderstanding. Ringpowertally, how do you force the Cat into regen, and how often a day would it need regen forced if you were running a forestry head. Now that I know where the problematic spot is, I can do things to avoid having a repeat problem.