Build your own mulcher

/ Build your own mulcher #21  
I like the loader arm setup. A great deal of my business is clearing farm field edges. I use a 2109 Mustang which has close to 14 ft of vertical reach. Most of the farmers I work for just want the limbs that hang over their fields gone, they are not concerned with the trees themselves. Being able to use the Bullhog to delimb then dispose of the debris in one motion with one machine has been a good selling point for me.

/ Build your own mulcher #22  
That definitely is the benefit of having a loader style machine and I can understand why many owner operators prefer this configuration.
Since I was in the position of putting other people into the seats of our machines I was not comfortable with the potential for flying debris breaching the cab. I tested numerous customer loader type machines and do understand the concept of ensuring all the energy in the rotor is dedicated to mulching wood and not soil.
Recently I have been watching dozens of compact mulcher videos on youtube. I am trying to become familiar with the production abilities of machines that have been recently introduced. It appears that some dealers are sending out bone stock skid steers with mulching heads bolted on. It is not unheard of for holders or teeth to crack and then become detached from the drum. Seeing a glass door between a hard working young man and a 2000 rpm tree eater makes me cringe. If anyone reading this is in this situation tell your boss you want at least 1/2 inch Lexan between you and the mower or mulcher. I know it is hard to replace the curved door glass in modern skid steers but it can be done.
Dirtroad was kind enough to put up another video of the 200hp mulcher for me. If you look at the rotor, you can see that it resists slowing down as the engine torque rises. This is what allows the machine to function well without lifting the head to store kinetic energy in the drum and bleed it off upon recontact with the wood. Once you have enough torque at the rotor you can build an efficient front mount forestry mulcher.

/ Build your own mulcher #23  
Now all you need to do is put a gyrotrac cutter on it

/ Build your own mulcher #24  
Now all you need to do is put a gyrotrac cutter on it

Just curious, Is the GyroTrac brand cutter your preferred head ? Do you prefer swinging tools over fixed tools?
I am always interested in listening to peoples experience with different styles of heads in varying types of trees or brush.

/ Build your own mulcher #25  
Just curious, Is the GyroTrac brand cutter your preferred head ? Do you prefer swinging tools over fixed tools?
I am always interested in listening to peoples experience with different styles of heads in varying types of trees or brush.

I prefer fixed tool. Tried a Brown Bear with swinging tools once.. It left fine shreds but I didn't like it.

The gyro trac has fixed knives like the Cimaf. I'd run that if I wasn't in rock.

/ Build your own mulcher #26  
Every head I sell has this on the sales order and invoice and We won't sell a head unless some one from our Company has inspected the unit just not worth the liability.
***** IMPORTANT *****

Operator's cab MUST be protected with properly maintained 1/2" thick Lexan and Proper Fall-On Protection.

Machine shall not be operated within 300 feet of people.

Always ensure that your carrier manufacturer's safety features meet your job safety equirements.

Safety is the responsibility of the operator.

/ Build your own mulcher #28  
Your right but I can only do so much. Make sure the machine has the proper saftey equipment when It leaves me at the end of the Day if the operator takes the door off and runs the mulcher with out it. I can't stop that.