tree shear question

/ tree shear question #1  

05rammer

Bronze Member
What tree shears are you guys using? I have ben looking at the Tree Terminator Grande 20in and Hydra Snip 16in shears, they both have a grapple option. Does anyone know if these are good one or should I look at some other ones. Thanks for help.

/ tree shear question #2  
I have a tree snip coming 8 May and will let you know...heck, probably that day as I'll probably take the day off to do a little bonding.

/ tree shear question #3  
Fecon branded shear, made by Ryan's Shears, with the accumulator arm. Love it.

/ tree shear question #4  
I have a Power Axe from Quick Attach. I bought it because I can rotate the shear and use it to cut limbs. Be careful though and don't be too ambitious. For big limbs start out near the end and take sections. There is an outfit in Oklahoma that makes a hydraulic chain saw that goes on a pole that fits on the skid steer mount. Not sure how that would work since chain saws bind easily and thus the reason I use the shear to cut some really big limbs. For fence row trimming it is great since the snip on the Power Axe design can reach in further than the double shear types and you can actually snip between wires.

On a tractor these are not production machines since the shearing will push the tractor backward, you have to hold the brakes. Tractors take time to position compared to a skid steer of course.

Take note that the shears are usually set up for 3000 psi and most tractors pop off at between 2000 and 2500 psi so you don't get all the shearing force.

Don't do what I did and get on a T-post while trying to cut trees in the fence row. It will nick your blade.

I think when I get it put on the 4 ton track hoe it will be a fine piece of kit and much more useful than on the tractor.

/ tree shear question #5  
I love Grace Manufacturing's Tree Terminator grande. I have also owned the 12"

When I had a problem with my 20" and it was only a few months left on warranty, they sent a truck to my dealer in S. TX on a Monday, took it to Missouri, repaired it under warranty repainted it and had it back to S. TX by Friday... Is that GREAT customer service or what?

It will snip a nasty 20" tree in one clip or bigger in a few bites. I'm gentle on my machines but this thing weighs 1900 lbs and is built stout. I use it with large frame Bobcats.

/ tree shear question #6  
I rented the hydro-snip and it worked very well on pines and cedars.
It flush cuts well and a bush hog will clear it. Well built, no problems.

/ tree shear question #7  
I was looking at a Fecon bunching shear. But when I got rid of my Terex I took a Hydro Ax 311C in on trade. I haven't used it enough to decide if I'm going to keep it or not. I have used it enough to know that a 15" DBH Ponderosa Pine on uneven ground will cause button holes to appear in the seat.

Andy

/ tree shear question
Yellow do you know anything about the grapple attachment for the Tree Terminator?

/ tree shear question #9  
Yellow do you know anything about the grapple attachment for the Tree Terminator?

No. Haven't seen or used it. The trees I shear aren't more than 20-25' tall and very bushy. They fall over to one side or the other without the need to hold them. If I need to pick them up again to move, I squeeze them with the shear.

/ tree shear question #10  
I took delivery of my package today. They demo'd the shear with a dry piece of oak about 11" in diameter and it went through it with ease. If the cycle rates are slow it surely isn't a problem as I see it.