New Cat 299D XHP

/ New Cat 299D XHP #1  

ramzee1

Bronze Member
Tractor
3-Cat 299D XHP,1-Cat 299C, Cat 315DL,Cat 315CL,2-Jarraff
For the last few months we've had the privilage to run one of the 299D XHP prototypes for Cat. We have been running a HM 312 mulcher mostly on this machine but we also did run a 7' bush hog type mower and did some dirt work.The extra horsepower and the additional hydraulics are noticeable. Cat is saying 106 HP and 40 gal flow. We did check flow and it was 40 gal as they say.

After a short time I knew we wanted to upgrade to one of these machines when they hit production, so I put my name on the list early and as of last Friday our new 299D XHP is in our possession. The new mulcher for this unit will be a HM 415, it's ordered but not in yet.

Here's a few things, Cat rearranged the some of the components in the engine compartment, the air conditioner condenser is mounted on the back door plenty of air flow now. When the proto was delivered it was early August last year,at that time temperature was 95deg+ with humidity about the same. I had the air on the coldest setting with the fan on high and had the bottom 12" of glass fogged up. I actually had to turn the temp setting up after awhile. The fuel filter, oil filter, hydraulic filter and battery are at the back where it's easy to get to. The hydraulic oil level is easy to check and fill, it's mounted in the same area as before but below the arms for access. The fuel tank is larger 31 gallon now (I think). When we were mulching we were using around 3.5 gal of fuel per hour. The engine never ran hot, we did blow out the radiator every day.

I had the debris kit installed on our unit, you can see in the pics some of the guarding and the precleaner location, big improvement from before. The proto we started with did'nt have the precleaner but was installed later, we went from cleaning the air filter every hour in very dusty conditions to once a week.

I'm sure there are alot of things I'm forgetting so questions are welcome. I would rather not talk about the price, I feel you should talk with your local dealer or pm me and I'll give you my dealers info. My replies may be slow, I do use one finger from each hand so I am faster than some.
Thanks, Russ

Attachments

• DSCN1213.jpg
    DSCN1213.jpg
    845.5 KB · Views: 5,882
  • DSCN1214.jpg
    DSCN1214.jpg
    781.6 KB · Views: 15,365
  • DSCN1215.jpg
    DSCN1215.jpg
    763.7 KB · Views: 4,195
  • DSCN1216.jpg
    DSCN1216.jpg
    651.4 KB · Views: 16,236
   / New Cat 299D XHP #2  
Congratulations looks like cat finally listened to there customers and fix some of the problems is the engine bay sealed any better? My 297 even with the Forestry package was like a debris magnet the 287b was sealed tight with the forestry package. Wished they would have done something with the air intake on the ac had to snorkel mine.

Last edited:
   / New Cat 299D XHP
Cat, Thanks. Yes the engine compartment is sealed better. We only cleaned it out once while we had it. There is still some debris that gets in but nothing like before.

/ New Cat 299D XHP #4  
Good Lookin Tractor!!! I'm sure CAT is proud of them as reflected in the price.

/ New Cat 299D XHP #5  
ramzee1 said:
Cat, Thanks. Yes the engine compartment is sealed better. We only cleaned it out once while we had it. There is still some debris that gets in but nothing like before.

How many hours did u put on the prototype before u turned her back in? Also I've heard folks say it has a reversing fan for the oil cooler and radiator is that true?

/ New Cat 299D XHP
We put around 525 hrs on it. It does not have a reversing fan, it has an on demand fan, depending on the temperature to how much it runs. We didn't have a problem with fluid temps hydraulic or engine cooling, we did blow out the radiator and the air conditioner condensor every day.

/ New Cat 299D XHP #7  
Have u ran cats pervious models? If so how does the cutting capability of the 299d xhp compare to the c and b models?

/ New Cat 299D XHP
Cat, I started out with a 287, went to the 297C's then to the 299C's. I currently have 2, 299C's and the 299D. The 297 is for sale. I like the under carriage better on the CTL's for what we do. We use them for mulching and mowing ROW's but we also use them in the dirt and spreading rock. I also have a Fecon FTX 148L. To me there is night and day difference between the C's and the D.The 299D seems to perform like we all thought the skid steers would when we first got them. I started looking @ mulchers, watch the video's from the makers where they tie into a pine tree and the chips fly out, thinking thats great. Then get one and put it on my 297C tie into a hardwood and it stalls out. Alot of operator error alot of blaming the machine, but overtime you learn how to mulch with one. The extra horses and hydraulics take care of alot of the operator error in running one. You can still stall one out but it seems to go alot farther. The fuel useage of the 299C was around 3 gal per hour and 299D was around 3.5 gal per hour. We've all set in the cab hot in the summer with the fan blowing hot air, with the proto the temp dial would be around half way and you were comfortable. The only complaint I had was the door seal at the bottom leaking in dust from mulching. It looks like they changed the seal on my new one but I haven't had a chance to mulch with it yet. I have a new mulcher ordered for the D so I just took the old mulcher and built a coupler for it to fit my 315D. I've been wanting an excavator mulcher but only had about a weeks work for one so I thought why not just adapt.

Bob, Thanks

/ New Cat 299D XHP #10  
Thanks for the info, been talking with my salesman, he's trying to get one down here to demo. Hopefully i'll get to up 8-10hrs in one, before I do anything like to see for myself how it will perform. It's hot and dry so, be a good time to run it threw the paces. If I do get one considering matching it with a shinn skc60 head anyone have any feedback on the shinn head?