bobcat t870

/ bobcat t870 #1  

cat 297c

Gold Member
Tractor
Cat 299D XHP, Cat 297c, Rayco C140
Today I had our local bobcat dealer call, said he heard I was in the market for a ctl with mulcher. Dont know how he knew I've been shopping around the cat 299d xhp is top on my list but very very very pricey. Anyway he wants me to demo there t870 with bobcat head next Monday or Tuesday. Anyone running a t870 with mulcher? If so how do u like it? Wished the hyd. Pressure on the t870 was around 4000 psi. Not sure if I like how the radiator and oil cooler are stacked ontop of one another, seems like it would over heat easy. Like the price alot more than the cat 299d.

/ bobcat t870 #2  
I run an M series s750 machine with Cat mulcher. The radiators work good. I had my grill get clogged up today with "fluffy" cedar bark shreds. Took it off, knocked off the debris, and temp dropped. If it had a reversing fan or an easy way to get a puff of air to that grill, it would be low maintenance. under the grill I use two sheets of steel screens from old windows. Works like a charm and though a little debris does make it under the screen (or around it), it takes seconds to lift the radiators which are supported on a nifty steel support. You can get your whole hand in to clean or blow it out or whatever, then you just drop the coolers and latch it in place, put the cover on and your done. The only thing I don't like is the cover. It fits tight but is heavy and awkward to slide in but it still only takes 45 seconds after a little practice.

Flow is woeful for a machine that has that much power to tap into. I have complained to Bobcat and I know there will be some enhancements soon but Bobcat has been known to be slow to improve in the past. I think a 2 speed head on the Bobcat's weak pressure and flow will help. Finesse will do the rest.

My two cents, unless you need that extra large frame and want that extra weight and width, look at the 700 series. pressure and flow are the same though the 870 boasts .5 gpm more... that's just marketing I suspect. Motor is the same just turned up a little more (someone correct me if I'm wrong but the 700 series and 800 series share the v3800 (just like the new D series CATs) and the turbos are the same across the board on the Bobcats (again someone correct me if I'm wrong). I think the only difference is how the fuel is turned up on the pump. If anyone knows with certainty what the "enhancements" are to get the extra hp numbers, I'd love to hear about it.

/ bobcat t870
jamsen no im not tnt clearing, did they go under? Haven't heard anyone mention them in a long time.

/ bobcat t870 #5  
not sure what happened to them,,,,i ran their rayco for awhile, money just wasnt there, and did not feel like praying every day to the lord,,,dont get me wrong i am a beleiver in the lord, just not every hour on the hour do i need to pray unless something majorly is wrong lmao

/ bobcat t870
I hear ya